• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX 500 Boss versus MKII Crown

I own a MKII Crown in 30 cal. 600mm barrel.

Has anyone owned both a 500 Boss and a Crown in 30 and have any thoughts on how they compare in term of accuracy. I noted the Boss has the Smooth Twist Match barrel. I know the mechanical differences in terms of adjustments. But not plenum size or accuracy variation. Also realize that the Boss is a pellet specific tune. 

I have a Royale 400 .22 (same platform as Boss), and I had a Crown .22. The Royale has been totally reliable, easy to tune, and consistently accurate, the Crown had none of those qualities. The Crown would shoot small groups, but POI would shift at the slightest provocation, and its liner needed frequent cleaning. The solid ST barrel in the Boss and Royale virtually never needs cleaning. The Crown has the bells and whistles that FX has marketed very successfully. The Boss/Royale platform is a simple, shooting machine. I assume you like your Crown, and maybe my experience was atypical.

Never owned a Boss but I have a owned Royales in 22 and 25cal which were great shooters. I do own a great shooting Crown in 30cal though. Very reliable and is actually my least likely to shift POI gun. For years the Boss was king and for the obvious reason already mentioned, great barrel, great trigger and more simply built than the Crown...but the Crown does has the advantage of external tuning of the regulator and if you decide to change calibers the Crown is unbeatable. You probably can't go wrong with either platform.

jking

I own the Royale 500 (.25) & the Boss (.30) there's no such animal as a "Royale 500 Boss". Both guns are designed around JSB 25.39gr & 44.75gr pellets respectively. Both are Original Smooth Twist barrels & WILL NOT shoot slugs. Their accuracy is second to none when it comes to pellet barrels. IMHO best pellet barrels ever made! They're extremely reliable, extremely low maintenance & extremely satisfying! My personal best is 175 & 178 yards on a squirrel & rabbit about 2 minutes apart. They never fail to deliver. 

Reactions: CampFussell
Just now saw this old topic.
Don't know if it’s still any use to you, but here's my 5 cents :

Due to its barrel FX Boss keeps you limited to 1 pellet 1 velocity, without any possibility of external adjustability.
Nevertheless very accurate 100m pellet gun. Moreover a far better trigger than on FX Crown. In fact one of the best triggers (imo) FX has ever made.

Compared to Crown, an FX Boss's weight balance is more towards the front of the gun. Although I find a standard factory Crown equipped with a lightweight scope to be an excellent gun for free standing shooting purposes. When using the Crown as a benchrest 100m gun, then mounting a big heavy scope together with a heavy and steady wide legs bipod is an advantage/an asset. (imo)

The Crown owners i know to be shooting submoa are all using .22 caliber shooting a standard superior in super light barrel kit, with 25gr lead, both slugs (H&N) and pellets (JSB Red.). Two of those Crown owners have 600mm barrels mounted, the rest of them 700mm barrels. All of those Crowns I know of -amongst other mine- have a Boss trigger mounted. My Crown barrel prefers .217 / 5,51 lead in slugs (23gr & 25gr) and 5,52 in pellets (18gr & 25gr)

May just well be there are some .30 Crown shooters around doing submoa on a regular basis. But at the moment I don't know any personally.

Last edited:
I own 5 FX rifles. I set them up to shoot one projectile at one velocity. This adjustability thing is overrated and I've fiddled a bit with all of my rifles. In the future, I'd rather buy a gun with a solid barrel and set up to shoot accurately with one projectile. BTW, I rarely, if ever, change calibers and barrels. Then you have to re-tune the rifle. I guess I'm not an experimenter.

Thank you. I have a crown in three calibers 22,25,and 30. Synthetic stock with 380mm barrel and light scope it is a nice light field gun. Add the Saber chassis and it’s no longer light. Add an Arken scope and it’s way heavy.

I shoot only pellets. 18.1, 33 MKII and 44 grain JSB. Slugs are fine, but never really excell in accuracy with Std. Barrel. I have killed many small Texas pigs with the 25. 50 yards is the usual distance at around 890 to 900 fps all right behind the ear. 600mm Std barrel. 25 cal 25 gr JSBs are pretty good in terms of accuracy as well.

Accuracy is always subjective. But when I do measure five shot groups on a still day, they stay around .500. Sometimes less. Not quite what my Impact will do under similar circumstances. 22 is great for still day. Add a breeze and they drift. 25 is best for accuracy and penetration.

Trigger? I did not know Triggers could be exchanged. Thank you.

Shooting only one projectile with great accuracy suits me fine. I know I am the minority on that. Most want versatility. I appreciate your insight greatly.

I own the Royale 500 (.25) & the Boss (.30) there's no such animal as a "Royale 500 Boss". Both guns are designed around JSB 25.39gr & 44.75gr pellets respectively. Both are Original Smooth Twist barrels & WILL NOT shoot slugs. Their accuracy is second to none when it comes to pellet barrels. IMHO best pellet barrels ever made! They're extremely reliable, extremely low maintenance & extremely satisfying! My personal best is 175 & 178 yards on a squirrel & rabbit about 2 minutes apart. They never fail to deliver.
I agree with Gerry, I still have my Royale 500 (.25) & the Boss (.30). Hoping FX will go back to some solid barrels one of these days?