FX 400 Royal Issue.

I have a new FX 400. When I first got the rifle it was very quiet. To the point to where I wondered if the pelets even left the barrel. I got the crony out and did a 90 shot string. Average FPS was 898 standard deviation 4fps. All was good it was just very quiet. Quieter than my buddy's Maurauder. After about 5oo shots I noticed some shots was louder than others. After about 2500 shots it has became alot louder and no more quiet shots. It is as louder than my Condor ss. I did another 90 shot string average FPS was 896 standard deviation 4fps. Breach seal is good, shot count the same and I don't see anything different but the sound. Any ideals?

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron, it sure sounds like a breech O-ring. I had issues with mine when I first got it (recently). I blew out the original O-ring that came in it, replace it with another 70 durometer O-ring and it started leaking. I ended up going with a 90 durometer. It's stiffer and harder to get in in place but it's a tad smaller ID that creates a better seal. Without 100% seal it will sound louder. Have you draped some tissue paper over the breech area and fired the gun. The tissue paper shouldn't move at all. Even with a very slight leak it'll make the tissue paper jump. Does it sound the same shooting at 220bar as it does 165-160? Just making sure you weren't starting to fall off the regulator.
Jimmy

I went through the same thing with my Verminator which uses the same action as the 400. Breech o-ring. it had a small tear in it that was hard to pick up on at first. 
BTW, your 400 sounds like it's VERY happy inside. I wouldn't touch a thing without a dang good reason! 4 SD over 90 shots is outstanding. 

Good idea about the tissue paper Jimmy!

Tom

Aaron - Check if you can feel any air blowing out around the power wheel adjuster tube on either side of the breech. There are small, thin cross section O-rings that seal the adjuster tube from leaking air during the firing process to the outside. In one of my FX rifles, the shooting noise level gradually kept increasing. After checking all other possibilities, we traced the problem to one of these of these little O-rings that must have been torn during the initial install. A new o-ring, a little silicone grease to prevent tearing the O-rings during installation and the rifle was nice and quiet again. 

Sorry for not posting earlier. I work third shift and been working over in the mornings. Been realy busy. I've tried to see if the breech seal was leaking with tissue paper and there wasn't a leak. I'm beginning to think the gun is starting to break in and maybe the regulator is getting more volume of air. You would think that it would show up on shot count if that was the problem though. I bought my friend one the same day I bought mine and his has about 500 shots through it. I'm going to get his rifle and compare the sound difference when we can meet up. If it is maybe I cold adjust the hammer spring tension until the velocity starts to drop. Then adjust until the velocity is right again then see if there is a sound change. Any thoughts on the volume?