• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

FX .25 Slug Liner, 1:16 TR, Fouling

I have a new FX .25 cal Slug Liner (700mm) with the 1:16 TR. Testing so far has shown very poor performance regardless of ammo brand, diameter, weight, etc.

Javelin 36gr, .250
Javelin 40gr, .250
Javelin 40gr, .251
Javelin 44gr, .250
Javelin 44gr, .251
H&N 38gr, .249
H&N 40gr, .249
H&N 40gr, .250
H&N 42gr, .249
H&N 42gr, .250
H&N 44gr, .249
H&N 44gr, .250
NSA 33.5gr, .250
NSA 34.9gr, .250
NSA 36.2gr, .250
NSA 38.5gr, .250
JSB KO 33.94gr, 0.250

All Javelin ammo has been terrible. Might as well throw the slug down range by hand. Best groups have been with the H&N 40 gr, .250 (2-3 MOA groups at 50 yards). However I’m getting 1-2 really bad fliers for every 5 shots. I suspect the fliers are caused by heavy lead fouling. Below is a picture of the first patch after 100 shots using the H&Ns. I get similar lead fouling with all Javelin and H&N ammo tested to date. The NSA’s don’t foul as much.

IMG_0563.jpeg

It looks to me like the slugs are being shredded in the liner. Anyone else experience this?

• Wow
Reactions: nervoustrig
I have already polished the liner with JB bore paste and flitz but it didn’t seem to make much difference, if any. After pulling two dozen patches thru my liner (soaked in Ballistol) I can still see some lead particles “stuck” on the inner surface but they will not come out. Would it be ok to use a brass bore brush to work them loose?

I’ll probably contact FX USA again and see what they have to say. Ugh.

I have already polished the liner with JB bore paste and flitz but it didn’t seem to make much difference, if any.
A J-B regimen is suited for a bore that is already in pretty good shape. For a trouble barrel that leads up quickly, it would need to be lapped with something far more aggressive to have any opportunity to fix it. Any finer than 300 grit would be a waste of time.

Fire lapping involves shooting slugs that have first been rolled in an abrasive slurry. A cast lap would be even better but requires a fair amount of setup.

Reactions: M0ist0ne
A J-B regimen is suited for a bore that is already in pretty good shape. For a trouble barrel that leads up quickly, it would need to be lapped with something far more aggressive to have any opportunity to fix it. Any finer than 300 grit would be a waste of time.

Fire lapping involves shooting slugs that have first been rolled in an abrasive slurry. A cast lap would be even better but requires a fair amount of setup.
Fire lap all the things... and then clean er really well.

My 600mm 1:16 .25 is a keeper, won the liner lotto

Reactions: Centercut
I have used exactly those same Wheeler's pastes and firelapped few barrels. I think it would be more effective if you got casted bullets with grease grooves. Slugs do not have grease grooves, so getting paste into them is more difficult than casted bullets with grease grooves. I personally did it by just rubbing the pastes into the grease grooves and shooting the required number of bullets and cleaning the barrel.

Is it possible for you to get casted bullets from somewhere? .25 acp bullets are .255 diameter at least NOE's mold which I have. Sized right diameter so it would be good bullets for firelapping

There was a time not too long ago that I frequently offered up the same cautions to not overdo it. Now that I’ve gotten into the habit of using a cast lap to prepare bores, and gradually worked up the courage to move from 1000 grit, to 500 grit, then to 300 grit, and lately starting with 180 grit, I finally have an appreciation of how much scrubbing is required to clear even the most subtle of tight regions. Enough sometimes that touching the barrel is like picking up a cup of freshly-poured coffee, as well as my forearms burning from the effort.

I think back to all of the well-intentioned warnings I’ve heard over the years, and the anecdotes and personal testaments of ruined barrels. The disparity between that and my personal experience is absolutely bewildering.

Firelapping an airgun.........it can be a very messy process, one that can often require a good bit of cleanup afterwards as well as require replacement of the breech/probe sealing oring, depending on the gun's configuration. one should be prepared for that....

I am not recommending against it, but everyone should be aware of what they are getting info. I prefer lapping/polishing the barrel outside of the gun, carefully clampped in padded/v shaped vise jaws. In the case of an FXliner, assembled in the FX housing, with the housing clamped in the padded vise jaws.

Lead lapping , when done properly, is hard to beat. The process of creating the lap makes it out of reach for many.

The process of tapered lapping using tight fitting patches and abrasives or polishing paper is the method I feel most comfortable with.

Reactions: OldSpook
Firelapping an airgun.........it can be a very messy process, one that can often require a good bit of cleanup afterwards as well as require replacement of the breech/probe sealing oring, depending on the gun's configuration. one should be prepared for that....

It's true that it's messy, but it works well if you're careful. I firelapped a Corsair .308 long time ago and that barrel turned out really good. It was certainly easier because I could use self casted bullets with grease grooves. It was easy to spread the paste inside the grease grooves and wipe off the excess paste with a rag. And yes good cleaning always in between. This is my experience. Of course, hand lapping is also a good method, but at that time it was not possible for me to do with Corsair.

Last edited: