Fwb127 project thanks to Kingfisher

Thanks for the trigger guard John. The gun looks great.
A before and after
3AA095E3-8C99-4811-8C9E-0C5D5893B8E7.jpeg

13104AC5-3287-4EF1-9239-B9AE73F55EF3.jpeg

Waiting on new spring and seal but very happy with how the stock came up.

Pretty. I have never seen a 127, but have a 124, purchased new in late 1974, early 1975. Somewhere my stock got scratched so I refinished it, but that was years ago. As I remember it was a job to get an even staining job on the beech but it turned out good. That was probably 40 years ago. This afternoon I gave it a light rubdown with some Beechwood Genuine oil, which gives a more satin finish which I like better.

Reactions: AirSupply
Pretty. I have never seen a 127, but have a 124, purchased new in late 1974, early 1975. Somewhere my stock got scratched so I refinished it, but that was years ago. As I remember it was a job to get an even staining job on the beech but it turned out good. That was probably 40 years ago. This afternoon I gave it a light rubdown with some Beechwood Genuine oil, which gives a more satin finish which I like better.
I chemically stripped the stock and the old lacquer came away and left a lot of the original stain. I very lightly sanded and worked on keeping the original stain as even as possible. Then applied one coat of walnut stain by hand over the original.
It still has the odd small scratch but I didn’t want to sand it all out. I like the colour.
Then sprayed clear vanish to finish.
I wanted as close to original as possible but it is very glossy! A bit too glossy.
Love to see a picture of yours. Obviously an early one too.

Not the best pictures, Trying to position to eliminate glare. I used to have it set up with a "muzzle brake" like yours. I had this WIliams sight on it for about the first five years then the muzzle brake and a Beeman blue ribbon scope for a little over 40 years. I had the gun rebuilt internally a couple of years ago and went back to the receiver sight with a Gehmann adjustable diopter and put an Anschutz front globe on it. I have a clear plastic diopter in that globe, and find it excellent for target and casual plinking, basically no matter what the range is I just center my target in that front ring.

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

Last edited:
Not the best pictures, Trying to position to eliminate glare. I used to have it set up with a "muzzle brake" like yours. I had this WIliams sight on it for about the first five years then the muzzle brake and a Beeman blue ribbon scope for a little over 40 years. I had the gun rebuilt internally a couple of years ago and went back to the receiver sight with a Gehmann adjustable diopter and put an Anschutz front globe on it. I have a clear plastic diopter in that globe, and find it excellent for target and casual plinking, basically no matter what the range is I just center my target in that front ring.

View attachment 321825

View attachment 321826
Very nice. You got the stock spot on. Yours has the early plastic butt pad too. That wasn’t around for long , they must have changed that in the first couple of years of production. I’m surprised it’s not mentioned in association with the early guns more often.
So is that just an oil finish?
I have an fwb diopter I’ll try out (if I can get the brake off)
You must have a lot of great memories with nearly 50 years of ownership!
Appreciate you sharing.
Thanks.

Very nice. You got the stock spot on. Yours has the early plastic butt pad too. That wasn’t around for long , they must have changed that in the first couple of years of production. I’m surprised it’s not mentioned in association with the early guns more often.
So is that just an oil finish?
I have an fwb diopter I’ll try out (if I can get the brake off)
You must have a lot of great memories with nearly 50 years of ownership!
Appreciate you sharing.
Thanks.
Thanks, yes it is an oil finish, It has been too many years for me to remember exactly what though. As far as the muzzle brake, look to see if there is a little screw to hold it on, otherwise if it was like mine it is just tapped on. Mine came off without any damage to the barrel finish. Off a bench at relatively close range 10-25 yards I can shoot groups almost as good as with a scope. Longer ranges a scope is better. but I find the gun just balances and handles better with the iron sights, plus it's more challenging. I like to stand up and shoot if offhand more than off a bench. At my age it is no longer easy to get into or out of a sitting, kneeling or prone position. I did learn to shoot the double diopter system 60 years ago on a college ROTC rifle team.

Looking at the pictures I posted, I find it amazing how the color looks different under different lighting condition. Both were taken outside within a few minute of each, just with sunlight coming from different directions

Reactions: maxtrouble
I like using varnish. If you want to dull it up some use some light rubbing compound or one coat of semi-gloss. That's how I did my boat. Varnish and lacquer are the only two finishes that will blend into the old varnish or lacquer eliminating witness marks when touching up. Nice rifle. I have a left handed 124 and have a standard 124 on the bench getting ready for a rebuild. Bought my first one in 1979.

I like using varnish. If you want to dull it up some use some light rubbing compound or one coat of semi-gloss. That's how I did my boat. Varnish and lacquer are the only two finishes that will blend into the old varnish or lacquer eliminating witness marks when touching up. Nice rifle. I have a left handed 124 and have a standard 124 on the bench getting ready for a rebuild. Bought my first one in 1979.
They made left handed 124's? Those must be more rare than hens teeth! Finding old left handed springers is like buried treasure!