Fwb124D (factory walnut)working for its place in the safe.

Well not really, it keeps it’s place on good looks alone!
These are spotted doves introduced into Australia in the 1860’s.
0B0162AB-F273-40FC-B84F-8E1AEE25921F.jpeg

Well not really, it keeps it’s place on good looks alone!
These are spotted doves introduced into Australia in the 1860’s.
View attachment 311027
@AirSupply; That's one fine specimen of an air rifle. Once considered a "magnum" springer, this one has stood the test of times and it's still holding its own. In 1983, I was introduced to "adult precision airguns" by a deceased friend of mine and this was his rifle of choice but it took me 3 decades to finally bow down to owning one. I now own the FWB124D as well and there was another one for sale at the NC Airgun Show here in North Carolina this past October completely set and ready to shoot. Did I need another one, naw not this time but I did try to convince another gentleman to buy this one for his son, it didn't work because of a "$650.00 price tag. Thanks for sharing and if we're ever hit with an EMP here, I can truly say that this one will definitely "git ur done" on soft targets within reason!

Last edited:
Reactions: AirSupply
@AirSupply; That's one fine specimen of an air rifle. Once considered a "magnum" springer, this one has stood the test of times and it's still holding its own. In 1983, I was introduced to "precision adult airguns" by a deceased friend of mine and this was his rifle of choice but it took me 3 decades to finally bow down to owning one. I now own the FWB124D as well and there was another one for sale at the NC Airgun Show here in North Carolina this past October completely set and ready to shoot. Did I need another one, naw not this time but I did try to convince another gentleman to buy this one for his son, it didn't work because of a "$650.00 price tag. Thanks for sharing and if we're ever hit with an EMP here, I can truly say that this one will definitely "git ur done" on soft targets within reason!
Aren’t they just a great airgun. I haven’t had mine all that long but my administration for it is growing. How much of its success is due to that match grade barrel? It’s just so accurate. It’s not built to the same high specs as there pure match rifles but it doesn’t need to be.
Thanks for you comments 👍

Reactions: Simplyhooked PCPs
Aren’t they just a great airgun. I haven’t had mine all that long but my administration for it is growing. How much of its success is due to that match grade barrel? It’s just so accurate. It’s not built to the same high specs as there pure match rifles but it doesn’t need to be.
Thanks for you comments 👍
@AirSupply:

With this particular springer, it was never about "power" but rather "accuracy" and it took me some time to really appreciate its overall quality. Everything about it, whether it was its balance, fit and finish, the trigger, the smoothness of its firing behavior proves that it's in a true class of its own! End of the story, I'm grateful that I'm the owner of one!

Beautiful, I wish mine had a walnut stock. I have had it almost 50 years, and when I got it here the old Air Rifle Headquarters had some nice aftermarket stocks, but at the time, could not justify the price. Being a young USAF officer just back from overseas buying the gun and stock would have put me well over $300, and in early 1975 that was a lot of money.

As much as I like my 124, the new Sport is a better shooter.

I find the fwb 124 to be much more hold sensitive than the R1. Both great rifles
The weight of the FWB124 is lighter which makes it more hold sensitive but the Beeman R1 is heavier which helps stabilize the rifle when shooting it off handed. I've hunted with the R1 for years and found it to be an excellent shooter off handed with Beeman Kodiak pellets in .177, 2 different beast for 2 different purposes, 2 well built machines!

The weight of the FWB124 is lighter which makes it more hold sensitive but the Beeman R1 is heavier which helps stabilize the rifle when shooting it off handed. I've hunted with the R1 for years and found it to be an excellent shooter off handed with Beeman Kodiak pellets in .177, 2 different beast for 2 different purposes, 2 well built machines!
Hunted for years with my 124, ideal for long outings in the field, being the lightest weight of the sporters of the day, but still producing 13fpe with essentially perfect balance. In later years I picked up other air rifles, think I’m at 10 or so now, and all feel like anvils by comparison, except for the new FWB Sport which is not quite as light but close, and has similarly fantastic balance. Hold sensitivity is a term I never even heard until recent years... I had mastered getting the best accuracy from my 124 through blissfully ignorant trial-and-error. Used to also shoot 10m bench rest targets with it, still have a few one-hole 5-shot targets I saved. Waited almost 45 years to finally disassemble one, such a simple yet elegant mechanical design. Will never part with the two I have, both Beeman stamped with custom Maccari stocks.

C3AF7535-DE8A-402B-A4C0-91463FA04E30.jpeg

Beautiful rifles. I especially like to coloring and grain of that sporter stock. Would love to have some wood in a tyrolean like that. I agree with everything you said, Most of my other guns feel like Mack trucks compared to the 124d, the only ones that come close are the new FWB Sport, the HW57 with the HW 35e a distant third.

Hunted for years with my 124, ideal for long outings in the field, being the lightest weight of the sporters of the day, but still producing 13fpe with essentially perfect balance. In later years I picked up other air rifles, think I’m at 10 or so now, and all feel like anvils by comparison, except for the new FWB Sport which is not quite as light but close, and has similarly fantastic balance. Hold sensitivity is a term I never even heard until recent years... I had mastered getting the best accuracy from my 124 through blissfully ignorant trial-and-error. Used to also shoot 10m bench rest targets with it, still have a few one-hole 5-shot targets I saved. Waited almost 45 years to finally disassemble one, such a simple yet elegant mechanical design. Will never part with the two I have, both Beeman stamped with custom Maccari stocks.

View attachment 316009
@jimk1963:

You've got beautiful "quality springers" that have stood that test of time for decades. It took me right at 35 years to bow down and purchase one a couple of years ago and once again, I'm very glad to had one as a part of my collection. I still love those stocks and the one to the left brings back memories of yesteryears gone by!

The 124 also has a longer piston travel which also effects hold.