• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FWB 601 pellet and mv questions

Zia - I just received a 601 from Carel in the Netherlands yesterday - what a beauty! It has been resealed and he said he installed a small suppressor. It is unbelievably quiet with next to no recoil. I've already done some plinking on a friend's indoor basement 10 m "range" and I can't believe the quality and accuracy of this gun. Even with the peep sights which I have no experience with at all I was able to get tiny 1/4" groups off a bench. By the way, forgive the newbie question but what is 1.9 SD??

I have a FWB 603 that I have been shooting a lot. When I got the rifle it was shooting H&N Finale Match 8.18 gr. pellets at 572 FPS. The recoil reducer was not working when I got the rifle so I got it all apart(recoil reducer) and managed to get all the pieces freed-up and readjusted everything and now it is working the way it should. I checked it over the Chrono again with the recoil reducer working and it is now shooting at 553 FPS, the recoil reducer function has dropped it 19 FPS.

The recoil reducer bleeds-off a little air from the breech with each shot to operate the internals that compensate for the pellet recoil. I made a set of baffles for in the shroud and it is shooting silent and I can now hear the firing pin hit the valve and hear the recoil reducer working, this is an amazing rifle.....no noise and no recoil movement! The accuracy of this rifle is superb.

I have been shooting Champions Choice pellets with the same result as I get with the H&N Finale Match. I am typically getting between 1 and 2 for a SD over the Chronograph.

ART

"tiptop"Ah. So in Zia's example it would be 586 fps plus or minus 1.9 fps? ....

Not exactly...

Standard deviation is hard for me to put into words. What you are describing is comparable to extreme spread (ES) . An extreme spread (plus or minus 1.9 fps as you envisioned) would produce an even lower standard or "mean" deviation...

Here's a Wikipedia description of standard deviation;

It doesn't surprise me that it wasn't as simple as plus or minus 1.9 fps. I looked up the formula for SD and it's hard to believe many of us are going to do that calculation on paper - I know I'm not! Is there an online calculator or chart that you can plug a string of fps figures into that will spit out an SD? For simplicity's sake it might be easier to just take the average fps and estimate the plus and minus.