• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FWB 300S Pellet Weight

I have tried every pellet out there in every airgun I have owned just to be sure I haven't over looked any. As we all know pellets can very from batch to batch in accuracy. Just got in a batch of pellets H&N, JSB and Air Arms in all different weights and head sizes. Testing different springers I found things have changed with the new pellets. The HW and Walther I'm not concerned about, my FWB 300S really likes the AA 8.4 gr pellets this batch. I've been shooting 7.87 gr and lighter with great results. Will the 8.4 gr heaver weight pellets hurt the springs in the old 10 meter gun? I'm getting 10 shot groups you can cover with a .22 pellet at 23 yards, it's going to be hard to stop using 8.4s even if it hurts the springs.

Hello. I have been shooting my 300S since 1984 using primarily the H&N "heavies" at an advertised 8.18 grains. It is still running the original springs and seals, and still gives me velocities over 600 fps. I shoot it indoors every winter on my 10 m range. It has had many thousands of pellets put through it without a hitch. I can't imagine an additional 0.26 grains is going to hurt it at all. I do recall some talk back in the day about heavy pellets somehow harming a spring gun, but they were talking about the difference between light and heavy FT pellets, where the heavy pellets run over 10 grains.

By the way, I do occasionally shoot my 300S outdoors, and am getting great results from the JSB 7.9 grainers.

Best of luck with your 300S, it's at good one!

Chuck

Hello. I have been shooting my 300S since 1984 using primarily the H&N "heavies" at an advertised 8.18 grains. It is still running the original springs and seals, and still gives me velocities over 600 fps. I shoot it indoors every winter on my 10 m range. It has had many thousands of pellets put through it without a hitch. I can't imagine an additional 0.26 grains is going to hurt it at all. I do recall some talk back in the day about heavy pellets somehow harming a spring gun, but they were talking about the difference between light and heavy FT pellets, where the heavy pellets run over 10 grains.

By the way, I do occasionally shoot my 300S outdoors, and am getting great results from the JSB 7.9 grainers.

Best of luck with your 300S, it's at good one!

Chuck

Thanks Chuck I've had great luck with AA 7.87s but the new AA 8.4s beat everything so far making one hole 10 shot groups.

I have rebuilt approximately 150 FWB 300 series rifles . And have shot every weight of pellet thru them . It's an old wives tale as far as I can te about heavy pellets hurting a FWB . Mine shoots the AA 7.87 and the 10.34 the best . There is a difference in the recoil cycle depending on the weight . But none have any chance of damaging a FWB rifle . 

These guns were designed to basically take anything you can throw at it . 

If you would like , PM.me and we can talk bout it .....The FWB rifles are the main reason I am still in Airguns . 

Hope this will help.....PS I have shot.mine dozens of times without a pellet in the chamber with ZERO fear of damage . 

I have rebuilt approximately 150 FWB 300 series rifles . And have shot every weight of pellet thru them . It's an old wives tale as far as I can te about heavy pellets hurting a FWB . Mine shoots the AA 7.87 and the 10.34 the best . There is a difference in the recoil cycle depending on the weight . But none have any chance of damaging a FWB rifle . 

These guns were designed to basically take anything you can throw at it . 

If you would like , PM.me and we can talk bout it .....The FWB rifles are the main reason I am still in Airguns . 

Hope this will help.....PS I have shot.mine dozens of times without a pellet in the chamber with ZERO fear of damage .

Thanks Joe, if anyone knows for sure it would be you. I'll sleep good tonight knowing I have a good supply of one hole pellets. 

The FWB 300 is definitely on my "want" list. That and a 124D. 

On a related note,my. Diana 75 T01 U seems to prefer the AA 8.44's and shoots them at right about 600 fps. I simply Love these old 10m springers as they just dont make them like that anymore. And anyone who says they aren't good for much past 10-15 meters is either full of poop...or simply hasnt shot one. I'm waxing starlings out to and Past 30 yds and hitting spinners at 60 with ease. ( great practice for estimating the effects of wind...or a light breeze.LMAO!)
1558279341_15964605985ce174ad9a7352.23944046_20190515_144946_HDR.jpg

Enjoy!!

Mike

That’s literally exactly what those guns were designed for.

At one time ISSF 10-meter rifle rules had the curious requirement that ammo equal the weight of a lead sphere the diameter of the bore. A 4.5 mm (.177”) lead ball weighs about 0.54 grams (8.3 grains). I don’t know if that’s still the rule or not, but it's the basic reason heavier “rifle” and lighter “pistol” match pellets are made to this day.

Back when FWB springers dominated the 10-meter world, the best pellets were the old-time H&N Match, and RWS Meisterkugeln, both of which were well over 8 grains to conform to the rules.

Reactions: AirSupply