FWB FWB 300 facelift posts ..Pics

Didn't use stain , I just polished the finish that was still on it and redid stippling . I used clear coat polishing compound and VERY light pressure then a small amount of wax and polished it till it was completely smooth . It has a few very tiny wear marks but I just couldn't bring myself to take off the finish .
And yes Jonnes its shooting lights out !!!! Nickle and dime sized groups at 35 yards with 8.4 and 10.3 JSBs with zero twang ......I hate that crap cause mine sounds like you slapped a donkey with a banjo . . New seals , piston oring and recoil spring and some bore polish . I reminds me a Lot of the one Aaron just got . You can tell its well used but obviously well taken care of .

A little more feedback on "hot rodding" a 300...
FWB made a shim washer that sits behind the breech seal (about .003 in thick)...I've made several out of business card stock and siliconed the shim and seal in place...every gun is different but velocity increased more often than not by doing this.
Of the 7 guns I've "tuned"...2 resulted in a settled-in velocity of 715fps with JSBs 7.33gr RS...(no alterations other than a spring and bumper replacement and sparse moly lube)...both guns are high serial # guns 340, 350xxx...
Achieving this speed seems to be a matter of luck, that is to say, the barrels/ breech area by chance happened to end up in the optimal configuration for this JSB pellet, grip on the skirt, head size etc...RWS 7 gr. Wadcutters shoot 735 to 740 fps accurately at short range...
One gun simply would not increase velocity above 640fps. Every trick I know and every spring that would fit the guides was tried...640fps it is then....Also I've observed no loss of accuracy at any speed between 640 and 715fps once a gun has settled in (150 shots)...
So "hot rodding" results can be mixed as far as final velocity goes but the accuracy seems to remain unaffected.

10x I've used the thin washers before also ...I figured if thin was better than thicker would REALLY be good but I think it caused spring binding because velocity fell off .My personal mini is one of those that no matter what its not gonna go fast .I did a stock on a mini a few weeks ago for a guy who shipped me the entire gun and his was shooting close to 750 .
He asked me to lube it so I tore it down and it had nothing but original parts . I'm with you that no matter what you do some are just gonna chug along like a turtle .
The two things I've found so far that help accuracy the most ( besides usual stuff) are VERY little lube on piston , Thanks AZ for finally beating that in my head ....And the springs end . I grind each end on the single springs absolutely flat and polish it with steel buffing wheel .
I'm convinced that the jagged burrs on the ends of some of the after market springs bind on the piston and rear rod ...And causes springs to bend and bind in the middle . I had one of JM springs I ground flat and it was still straight after at least 10,000 shots . I had my first one that I didn't do that to and it was warped in half the time . Could have been a fluke but I'm not chancing it again ...The factory 2 piece springs already come flat

I've got a mini coming this week or next that is nothing special on the outside but a strong shooter ...I'm leaning HARD towards Relic finishing it . And doing something kinda crazy with the wood ..I'll see what kinda shape the stocks in first .I don't want to ruin it in case it's a really good piece of wood .What's weird to me is that a Lot of the FWB rifles actually have some nice wood but the stains hide it . I sold one to Lee Chiu a while back that blew my mind when I got the old finish off .

I polish the spring ends with 1200 grit sand paper...can't be smooth enough...also I've used minimal JM moly on the piston ring and a little while later when I've opened her up again I've had to wipe more moly off the piston...that would further reduce the shot to shot velocity spread.
And yes I've over shimmed the breech seal...every gun is different that's why I have as many as I do/did...that is to select the best...best action, best figured wood...
I did buy an aftermarket stock from JM...old style mini, Himalayan walnut...I'm planning on altering it a little to make a full blown sporter stock.
I "cooked" the shroud weight off one of these 715fps guns (didn't hurt it a bit) and plan to drop it in the sporter stock with that brushed stainless look...it'll be while yet but I'll share pics when done.
Since playing with these 300s...I wonder why I ever messed with barrel cockers and pcps...the 300s do everything I want to do with an airgun...I can't toute them enough.

Of course remove the front sight assembly...(and while all the guts are out of the gun)

I clamped the action in a padded vice leaving the barrel hanging free.
I then heated the whole shroud tube from the action forward to the muzzle with a propane torch (one you would use for soldering copper pipes). The shroud sits about a 1/2 in into the action so a little extra heat there so it can travel toward the action.

I kept the torch moving back and forth the length of the barrel building heat up...trying to use only what is necessary for the epoxy to soften..
I then would test it by trying to turn/ twist the the fat weight near the muzzle with (cringe) channel locks...heat...test...heat...test...heat..
finanally I got movement at the fat weight and it twisted of rather easily...leaving just the 15 in tube on the barrel...back and forth with heat...test twisting with channel locks very soon the whole thin tube twisted and slid forward and off.
Scary but accuracy testing showed the same literally, single pellet sized hole at 36 ft...no damage done...
This gun was $340 eBay auction beater, rust patina, scarred stock...turns out it's my fastest one holer yet.
And there was decent blueing on the barrel under the shroud.

Joe, It sounds like your on the edge of starting a new business. Maybe get to retire early from your current job? Joe's FWB Mini Restoration Emporium. I have been thinking of having you build me one. Trouble is I don't have the time to play with what I have now, but I foresee it's just a matter of time. Won't be long and you will be going large. Next will be producing your own mini when demand exceeds your supply of vintage guns. Oh WOW! How long before you start hiring? I'm a 1.15 per hour employee! Will we have any long legged, mellon breasted, spiky healed secretaries? how about company cars? I would really prefer one of the new crew cab pickups. I'm really excited about getting in on the ground floor. Plus you won't have to provide me with health insurance. I can just stay on Medicare! 

Kit I'm planning on running it outta the back of a strip club. Lol...Seriously I'm one of those boring guys that loves working out in the yard and such but my health isn't what it used to be so this gives me something I can do and keep myself busy , and be productive.
I have one coming I'm gonna Relic ...I just finished the rings that will go with it . Gonna satin finish the stock till its flat and no shine, and blue it with the metal cold so it'll protect it but won't be dark ...I did it to a buddies 45 pistol and it came out Really Cool ...Trick is to make it look worn in the proper places .

Well I got one of Joe's old junkers in today. The action slides back and forth like its going to fall out. ;) When you cock it there is no noise so maybe he forgot to put in the springs? When you shoot it there is almost no noise so maybe the pellet is still stuck in the barrel? Well I only shot it 16 times since I was expecting to see parts flying any min! I did stick one of my scopes on it and 5 shots and it was hitting the barn! (did I mention I was in the barn? it has been said I couldn't hit a barn if I was in it). So I'm going to post a picture of this wreck I got from Joe (he has posted a number of pics of this rifle in this thread) and ill post the last 5 shots I made out of the 16 shots thru the rifle so far(too hot for me to be shooting, so ill get back to pellet testing with this rifle later. THANKS JOE ITS PERFECT FOR WHAT I WANTED!
tZy6c36.jpg

20 yards and the scope mounts are too high and that will be changed soon. This was 5 shots with AA diabolo field 8.4.
y8F3Q5h.jpg