• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FWB 124 velocities please

I'm shooting AA 7.89 gr domed pellets at 840fps at elevation 4750...they shot 860fps down at 400 ft above sea level....I am done with airgun..... " magnumitis" but these shoot so well I won't gripe...
You can expect about the same speed...I read guys getting 820fps with JSB 8.44s and close to 900fps with JSB 7.33s...kicking out the occasional flyer or pulled shot I regularly put those 7.89s on a 3/8th" circle at 30yds from a bench rest with my hand between the rest and the gun....

I don't blame you for being excited. They are fine rifles.
You should expect somewhere around 12fpe but don't get too wrapped up in velocity. Smooth shot cycle and accuracy is what your looking for.

My F124D has a Maccari spring and piston seal.
JSB exact express 7.87gr yields 860fps_12.9fpe

Other rifle is a F124 Standard with Maccari spring and piston seal.
JSB exact express 7.87gr yields 828fps_11.98fpe

Both are very smooth and shooting either is a pleasure.

My 124 was tuned by David Slade and has the hipower spring. My chrono results are below. They were done 1/8/18 and the tune was done several months and many shots ago.
It will consistently shoot less than 1/2" groups @ 30 yds and that ain't too shabby for a 80+ shooter. Hope this helps.

AA 8.4 ( that is what they list ). mine were== 8.4-8.6 = 841 fps with a spread of 2.8 and SD of 1.13 and energy @ 13.4.
AA 8.36-8.45=841 fps with a spread of 8.3 and SD of 3.11 and energy of 13.2.
RWS R10 7gr= 935 fps with a spread of 5.7 and SD of 1.91 and energy @ 13.6.
All were 10 shot groups. the R10's did not group well @ 30 yds.
AA 10.5, in Oct of 17 were 748 fps.
I consider my 124 to be as good as it gets thanks to David.
Again-- hope this helps-- just shoot and reap the rewards.
Shoot straight and give God the Glory.

Had David Spade tune my fw b 124d. I told him this was my startling rig and needed a little ump. Special spring installed that shoot Jsb 8.4 @ 860 fps and brain dead accurate. I have empty co2 cartage painted bright orange hanging @ 60 yds in back yard and have no problem blasting them. Don't know where the bad trigger rap started.. Very nice 2 stage trigger. First stage click and second stage break like glass. Got an 8 oz trigger on my cricket compact .22 and David don't have this one car off.

Had David Spade tune my fw b 124d. I told him this was my startling rig and needed a little ump. Special spring installed that shoot Jsb 8.4 @ 860 fps and brain dead accurate. I have empty co2 cartage painted bright orange hanging @ 60 yds in back yard and have no problem blasting them. Don't know where the bad trigger rap started.. Very nice 2 stage trigger. First stage click and second stage break like glass. Got an 8 oz trigger on my cricket compact .22 and David don't have this one far off.

My FWB 124, I bough in the 70's , i also at the time bough the Beeman 124 PARTS kit, new piston, factory long spring, cocking shoe & factory piston seal ,when i tryed to shoot after not shooting it for 10 years, I found out about the fac. seal I got my rebuild kit found the sealed bag was like crumbly white wax. Hawaii there is 1 tuner. and had heath issues. luckily I still have the survise book. used lacquer thinner and a dowel with a green scrubby to remove caked on seal & s brass rod to remove marital st edges. Used a drill press chucked the back end of the piston and went from Wet&Dry 3M 220, 320,400,600 to 1500grit. Spring is Air Rifle Headquarters (TWISTER SPRING) must ask not on web site. flatten both ends and polished same as piston. Used aA.R.H. old school button' s @$1.00 each. Used drill press to fit. Used Monguse seal ( put on piston used duct tape tape to protect piston sanded to fit air chamber 150 to 400 grit. polished seal edge with white 0000. polished spring guide to 600. Changed trigger Air Rifle Headquarters ( aluminum ) no longer availble. P. A. has stainless pricey $100+. ( do not do if you are not qualified, I've worked on pistols for 30 years) I cut 1/2 coil on sear spring ,at a time reassembled & tryed. ended up cutting 1 coil. ( tested by bumping on buyt stock from @ 1' must watch MUZZLE I used can stuffed with old t-shirt. After about 300 shots , JSB exact weighed 8.5gr 20 shots A.V. 833fps., deavation (7) fps. Elery Target IMI 7.5gr. low 900's will post more with different pellets later & FWB124 (#2) V-Mach kit results . any one know what is too much power ? FWB #1 is max spacers. This is my 1st attempt. took it apart @ 9 times. also I recommend replacing the cocking arm PIVOT pin. also pretty smooth but more vibration . Used cast BREACH seal ( CANADA) RED COLOR MAY HAVE TO SEND BACK SIDE TO FIT MORE SURFACE AREA BETTER SEAL. I wish I found this blog before I did my 124 would have saved me time. 

Thank you and Best Regards 

Springer

i just put another 124d together that had broken cocking shoe . the old white piston seal was smeared gunk all over the piston and air chamber...tedious.. i havent resized the green macarri piston seal yet and it squeaks when cocking. nothing but the stock spring, old beeman spring gel, and coat of molly around the rear of piston. 675 fps with 7.8 gr bsa storm pellets. as compared to the regular 124 with resized seal and twister spring (new parts) - 775 fps. i suspect that gunked up, disintegrated old piston seal caused such a cocking drag that the cocking shoe broke. - i , too , wonder how much spring is too much for these. there is lots of room for larger dia and thicker spring , but the cocking shoes are not cheap. those parts that beeman used when doing the special super tune seemed as stout as an r1 laser kit.

Aloha , yes the cocking shoe @$90.00 are pricey but stainless steel and thick. piston seal is oversized and made to fit air chamber variations. I used a screw a drill , found that it was hard to center. next I used a drill press chucked the back end & duct tape to protect piston behind seal. went from 550fps and taking a few thousand off at a time fps went up. 8 times till I got to @ 28.30mm. fps went to mid. 800's. hope it helps , remember AIR chambers may vary . hope it helps.

Good luck & Best Regards and God Bless America .

Springer