FWB FWB 124 Sport

I found a FWB 124 Sport with Beeman 66R 2-7x32 scope, and universal muzzle brake at a local gunshop. Unfortunately, after a few test shots at home the scope reticle rotated but here's no rattle sound. The rifle has some twang and seems like it's slightly underpowered. It's in excellent condition and will need a tune up.

I called the shop and they said I can bring it back on Monday to discuss my options.I paid $460 and can get an ARH tune kit for about $90.

If they won't partially refund for the scope cause it was sold as a kit or consignment should I write off the scope as a loss and keep the 124? Also, are there any options for a scope repair on the Beeman Blue Ribbons/Hakkos?

20240225_094642.jpg

20240225_094751.jpg

I would try to get a store credit or cash for the defect and move on. Before COVID there were people who would repair various defects in older scopes, but I doubt strongly such would be cost effective. The Beeman Blue ribbon has collector interest. Maybe with full disclosure, someone would offer you some $ for it as a parts scope. The rifle is worth keeping.

just my opinion, but The Hakkos were good scopes but can be outdone by today's scopes for not a lot of money.

Not a bad price for a 124 in the deluxe stock in that apparent condition.

I would try centering the scope reticle using the windage and elevation adjustments to return it to center. It's possible The erector springs were relaxed because the scope was near the edge of adjustment.. once you do this, tap on the turrets and see if the reticle will return to correct alignment.

Getting some kind of credit for the scope if that doesn't work would be my choice. Years and years ago there was a place that I can't remember the name of that did work on the old Hakko/Beeman Blue ribbon scopes but they are long gone. They did very good work, can't remember their name, and haven't found an alternative scope repair place that will work on these older scopes

Trash the old scope or sell it to a Beeman fanboy. Your gun will look much better without the ungainly blue billboard anyway. The rings are good if you don't go ape and overtighten the clamps like was so often done to them. Bends the aluminum clasps and ruins them. Most are already ruined. I've made my own steel replacements that won't bend. I prefer full power so get the ARH kit IMO. Even though I didn't but I can get away with that. It's just over 12 ft lb and no twang. Adjusting the trigger is a balance act. If you figure it out it's very good. That's another story.
As usual, the Blue baloney Book is way off. They don't have to be right to sell books, do they? It's pretty good for other relevant information, though.
I just bought an ARH JM DIY Turkish walnut stock for mine. Should look awesome hand checkered and finished

Trash the old scope or sell it to a Beeman fanboy. Your gun will look much better without the ungainly blue billboard anyway. The rings are good if you don't go ape and overtighten the clamps like was so often done to them. Bends the aluminum clasps and ruins them. Most are already ruined. I've made my own steel replacements that won't bend. I prefer full power so get the ARH kit IMO. Even though I didn't but I can get away with that. It's just over 12 ft lb and no twang. Adjusting the trigger is a balance act. If you figure it out it's very good. That's another story.
As usual, the Blue baloney Book is way off. They don't have to be right to sell books, do they? It's pretty good for other relevant information, though.
I just bought an ARH JM DIY Turkish walnut stock for mine. Should look awesome hand checkered and finished
"I just bought an ARH JM DIY Turkish walnut stock for mine. Should look awesome hand checkered and finished"

KWK, here is my ARH Turk Walnut DIY stock on my 127. Nice "sporter stock lines" on those JM diy stocks imo.
Please post a pic when you get yours completed.
Have fun.
FWB127~03.jpg
FWB127~04.jpg

Probably stain or dye to bring out the stripes and any figure I think I see something in it based on some of the pictures. I haven't received it yet. I can play with it before I do final shaping and finish sanding. And see what I like. It's all up in the air. If I'm staining it I have to do the checkers first. Blond walnut isn't my thing. I'll know a lot more when I get it wet.
For sure it will get a sanded in finish. Shadow line cheek piece? Maybe a little delrin domed grip cap? Dreaming? Perhaps
Yeah, I could have said HW guard. Same thing. They're reasonable and easy to get. I really should make a milled and filed steel one but my shop time is limited. Two more years I plan on going part time. I'm 64 and really fit so I should have some great years ahead to make and do everything I've dreamt about. Praying for that always. And giving thanks for how it's been (y)
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Probably stain or dye to bring out the stripes and any figure I think I see something in it based on some of the pictures. I haven't received it yet. I can play with it before I do final shaping and finish sanding. And see what I like. It's all up in the air. If I'm staining it I have to do the checkers first. Blond walnut isn't my thing. I'll know a lot more when I get it wet.
For sure it will get a sanded in finish. Shadow line cheek piece? Maybe a little delrin domed grip cap? Dreaming? Perhaps
Yeah, I could have said HW guard. Same thing. They're reasonable and easy to get. I really should make a milled and filed steel one but my shop time is limited. Two more years I plan on going part time. I'm 64 and really fit so I should have some great years ahead to make and do everything I've dreamt about. Praying for that always. And giving thanks for how it's been (y)
View attachment 439403

View attachment 439413
Karl , it will be a great piece of art when you get it finished, keep us updated on your progress.

Reactions: Bandito
View attachment 439403

View attachment 439413
Well, Blonde walnut, with Maccari RLO's honey tone oil, has been my favorite stock finish for decades lol.
Enjoy the project.
Have fun

I found a FWB 124 Sport with Beeman 66R 2-7x32 scope, and universal muzzle brake at a local gunshop. Unfortunately, after a few test shots at home the scope reticle rotated but here's no rattle sound. The rifle has some twang and seems like it's slightly underpowered. It's in excellent condition and will need a tune up.

I called the shop and they said I can bring it back on Monday to discuss my options.I paid $460 and can get an ARH tune kit for about $90.

If they won't partially refund for the scope cause it was sold as a kit or consignment should I write off the scope as a loss and keep the 124? Also, are there any options for a scope repair on the Beeman Blue Ribbons/Hakkos?

View attachment 439295

View attachment 439296
Curious....what's the serial number? That helps determine value.

Serial number is 60784. It's marked with Imported by Beeman. San Rafael, California.
It's one of the very last San Rafael marked 124s. Circa 1988. Very nice find!!!
In so far as the scope....give the turret fix a try....but if it doesn't work, definitely look for a few bucks off....and maybe keep the scope for parts.
Hard to believe it was just sitting on a shelf!!!

View attachment 439403

View attachment 439413
Almost pulled the trigger on this stock myself. Can't wait to see it finished.

It's one of the very last San Rafael marked 124s. Circa 1988. Very nice find!!!
In so far as the scope....give the turret fix a try....but if it doesn't work, definitely look for a few bucks off....and maybe keep the scope for parts.
Hard to believe it was just sitting on a shelf!!!
I put an old Clearidge 3-9x32AO with thin crosshairs to check accuracy. It's a tack driver at 15 yards with meisterkugeln pellets. The black dot to the right was point of aim. The group below was the first 5. After dialing it in it put 5 in one hole.

20240226_082538.jpg