FWB 124 safety disengages when trigger is pulled. What's the fix?

Have two early, 4-digit FWB 124's that I shoot all the time. Just noticed that, on both guns, if I cock them, Load & close the barrel, leave the safety on and pull the trigger, both guns will walk the safety in a bit, then fire. Kinda small potatoes, (till I go to sell one) but is this a quirk for these? Kinda weird that both rifles do it. One has the aluminum trigger, and the other is plastic. No matter how I adjust the trigger screw on each gun, It doesn't change, and both rifles discharge with the safety on. Had both apart recently for installation of a Maccari "softer" kit on one, and a standard polish/lube tune on the other. Safety & spring was put back correctly on both, using the zip-tie trick. Could it be something I did? (Didn't touch either trigger assembly when work was done).. If anyone has had this issue and has a fix, It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks MH... I appreciate the reply. Actually just checked and you dont have to cock the rifles. In de-cocked state , just pull back and activate the safety like it normally goes. Trigger is then hard to pull, as safety is in the proper position , but with every additional pull on the trigger, the safety walks forward, and the gun can discharge. It's like the trigger is helping the safety to disengage. Not a clean disconnect like a Rekord...Happens to both guns, irregardless of plastic or aluminum trigger. Just curious if I can fix this problem with just the trigger parts & without gutting the guns, as they both shoot hard and are lasers.. I will look into what Motörhead suggested,,,Any additional help here would be great.

Broke out the spring compressor and will pop out the trigger pack today at some point, and make sure everything's Kosher.. I tried adjusting the trigger screw in half turn increments all the way in & all the way out. Safety still pops in when trigger is pulled, regardless of trigger adjustment.. Think its something maybe I did when I last reassembled it, or maybe one of the little springs broke? but theres not much to mess up there. Will report back later. Thanks all.

My early sport is a 3 digit serial number and was doing the same thing. So I ordered the ARH kit and new safety spring rebuilt it gun shoots great but the gun will fire with safety on.Now safety does not come on at all when I cock it. I can live with it like it is because I just love this gun. But should fix safety so others can shoot it safely. What is the fix ?

Well....tore into it and found what was wrong. Two things actually. First, the vertical sear/safety spring was cocked at an angle. The spring was fine, but the hole where it sits was occluded by the top sheet metal by about 1/16", preventing rearward movement. I dremmeled the recess so the spring now rides unimcumbered. This is a factory foul-up and while it helped, the rifle still fires on "safe". Here's a few pics to illustrate what I mean.

BEFORE

IMG_0309.1652193341.JPG
IMG_0308.1652193342.JPG
IMG_0310.1652193429.JPG

AFTER

IMG_0314.1652193415.JPG
IMG_0312.1652193415.JPG

Now, the spring stays vertical and rides free. This enabled the sheet metal safety to slide back more, but still not enough.

Now to what I think is the real issue. A worn plastic trigger. I'm sure its supposed to have a minor bevel on top so it can slide over the safety, but I feel the bevel has grown too big from use, and the safety now won't go back far enough to properly block out the trigger top.

IMG_0315.1652193631.JPG
IMG_0308.1652193632.JPG
IMG_0313.1652193632.JPG

The fix for this particular rifle is either extend the safety somehow by 1/16" so the safety can properly slide over the flat part thats still there on the trigger top, or get a new trigger blade that hasn't got the large bevel. In fact, when I push the safety lever back 1/16" further than where it usually registers when cocking, the rifle's safety works perfectly. I'm thinking I should build up that 1/16" somehow..

IMG_0316.1652194015.JPG

@218bee,
Sounds like you already fixed this problem a different way, I enjoyed the troubleshooting story and photos. I have an original 124s that I bought from Robert Grant's original Air Rifle HQ for myself back in the '70s.

I don't recall having this problem, but I did get an aluminum trigger from ARH (Jim Maccari) somewhere around 2012 and haven't had any trouble with the safety. It is a little tricky to reassemble.

I used to have to put blue/releasable threadlocker on the trigger adjustment screw socket in the old plastic trigger. Can't remember if I had to do that with the aluminum one.

I was going to suggest roughing up the top of the trigger with sandpaper and rebuilding that corner with some JB weld metal filled epoxy.

Last edited: