FWB 124: How Good Were Beeman "Supertunes"?

I purchased my 124d from the old Air Rifle Headquarters,(Robert Law) sometime in early 1975. The piston seal went south sometime in the mid 80's so sent it in to Beeman for a supertune, and it came back very nice, I did not have any means of testing, it just seemed smoother, and would still punch a pellet through a 1" white pine board a few feet from the muzzle( high tech testing), I shot it not a lot, but some off and on, sniped and cleared the yard of gophers when we first moved into our new house, then raising a young son, lost a lot of interest. Now my grandson got interested in guns, apparently skipping a generation , so I pulled it out just before Thanksgiving of 2020 to test before they came over and another bad piston seal. Did some research and sent it off to David Slade, Told him to take his time as I prefered it not to be in the hands of shippers over a busy holiday season, my check to him got lost in the mail and took six weeks to get there, then he got Covid and said I think it was Fed Ex would not pick up while he was sick, so another delay. Finally got it back, at least I knew what was going on, It's as smooth as ever, still accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I did have a Beeman blue ribbon scope on it, and now at 76, find that I tend to chase the target around more, so took it off and put the Williams(Beeman) receiver sight back on along with an aftermarket front globe with interchangeable inserts and have really been having more fun, the stock is really cut more for iron sights than for a scope, and recently I put a Gehmann adjustable iris in the receiver sight.

The piston seals that came stock on the 124 were junk. Glad you're enjoying your 124 once again.

I purchased my 124d from the old Air Rifle Headquarters,(Robert Law) sometime in early 1975. The piston seal went south sometime in the mid 80's so sent it in to Beeman for a supertune, and it came back very nice, I did not have any means of testing, it just seemed smoother, and would still punch a pellet through a 1" white pine board a few feet from the muzzle( high tech testing), I shot it not a lot, but some off and on, sniped and cleared the yard of gophers when we first moved into our new house, then raising a young son, lost a lot of interest. Now my grandson got interested in guns, apparently skipping a generation , so I pulled it out just before Thanksgiving of 2020 to test before they came over and another bad piston seal. Did some research and sent it off to David Slade, Told him to take his time as I prefered it not to be in the hands of shippers over a busy holiday season, my check to him got lost in the mail and took six weeks to get there, then he got Covid and said I think it was Fed Ex would not pick up while he was sick, so another delay. Finally got it back, at least I knew what was going on, It's as smooth as ever, still accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I did have a Beeman blue ribbon scope on it, and now at 76, find that I tend to chase the target around more, so took it off and put the Williams(Beeman) receiver sight back on along with an aftermarket front globe with interchangeable inserts and have really been having more fun, the stock is really cut more for iron sights than for a scope, and recently I put a Gehmann adjustable iris in the receiver sight.

The piston seals that came stock on the 124 were junk. Glad you're enjoying your 124 once again.

Yes, and apparently those replacements from the 80's were not too great either. I had one of the Beeman/Diana Original 6 pistols, and same problem with it. I sent it of to David Slade earlier this year for a rework and it's good again also. He said seal material is much better now,

Since it seems like everyone here is in the know about the 124. I have an older model. I'm trying to re-home some of my vintage stuff to make room for some other projects. What would an older model 124 sport go for these days. Still works great and the trigger is sweet few scratches on the wood.
IMG_20220204_135600576.1644355661.jpg
IMG_20220204_135547803.1644355663.jpg
IMG_20220204_135532527.1644355664.jpg

Since it seems like everyone here is in the know about the 124. I have an older model. I'm trying to re-home some of my vintage stuff to make room for some other projects. What would an older model 124 sport go for these days. Still works great and the trigger is sweet few scratches on the wood.

As mentioned, if the rifle still has the original piston seal it's probably degraded even if the rifle seems to shoot OK and was stored properly. The metal finish looks good on yours except I would have liked to see a picture of the top of the receiver. That's a early serial number that you have. If the rifle hasn't been restored that would hurt the value quite a bit. Of course those that know would pay decent money to restore it themselves or have someone do it. Based on it being a Sport model ( And if restored) from what I can see from your pictures I'd say probably in the $300-$400 range. What it's worth can be somewhat subjective. Meaning, it's worth what someone's willing to pay for it. I've seen clean Sport models go as high as $500 on Ebay.