• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fwb 124 and copper pellets = bad?

I’ve been shooting my 124 a lot more lately, trying out lots of different pellets and trying to find the best one. Today I was shooting an HN multi pack “hunting pellets” assortment. Every thing going well until I shot the copper Power pellets, the rifle sounded odd. It’s hard to describe but it sounded more of a hollow thud type sound than it’s normal smooth pop. It has new internal everything so I’m maybe just being overly worried but was just wondering if the copper pellets could hurt or damage it in any way.

Related question, is there any issue shooting the “green” pellets followed by lead pellets or vice versa? I didn’t know if I should clean the barrel in between, it there was any issue with the lead mixing with the tin/whatever green pellets are?

My 124 has a fairly abrubt lead in to the bore. Some pellets take quite a lot of force to get the skirt to "pop" in flush. If yours is this way, and the copper pellets are bigger than others, it could have added more resistance and changed the shot cycle. Similar to shooting a very heavy pellet. That's the only theory I have.

After owning a few of these, I can almost assure you that your best pellet will likely be a JSB RS, JSB Express or some of the match wadcutters. 

The copper pellets won't hurt the bore. But I can see any benefit or reason to shoot them over a lead pellet. And make sure the tin pellets aren't too light. They are usually lighter than lead. I wouldn't go below 7gr personally. But try em and see.