• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Fun with the new Taipan Veteran Long (CZ 22cal)

Rolled out to the desert on the other side of the Cascades yesterday to test my Elk rifle, and decided to bring my new Vet along with me for some longer range plinking. I got this rifle recently to see if my power tuning components would still be compatible with their latest SKUs, and I wanted to test out the CZ barrels now that Taipan is having them produce barrels for them again 💪

When it arrived, I gave the barrel a light polish and I threw in my parts. I had this rifle up to around 83FPE (40gr Griffin BTs), but I didn't have plans to run my reg that high (170-172bar). My little FrankenVet with the FX barrel is already over 100FPE, so I wanted to keep this one down in the 50-60FPE range. I wanted to go with the absolute lightest ammo that would provide the best bang for the buck for long range precision in "real world" weather (i.e., the PNW where the nasty side of mother nature resides).

My experimentation thus far has proven to me that the 24.8gr NSAs are amazingly accurate and consistent with this barrel!!! They will group well under 1 inch for me at 950FPS at 100m. The BC is seriously low for these slugs, but they are one of few that actually hold together for me at 1200FPS with my other Vet! 

On my first outing with this new Vet this past Friday, I had it field tuned to shoot those NSAs at 940-950FPS. Holding the same POI (not holding for wind), in 20+ MPH winds, this was the group I shot with it (I definitely pulled the bottom right one):

0806EEA2-3F45-474F-A83D-906EF027EDB2.1602573005.jpeg

I knew right away that this rifle / tune / ammo combo had potential worthwhile of further testing. So not having much time this weekend, and not having the weather on my side - I gave it some additional trigger time out in the desert. I zeroed it at 63m, and went straight for 300y 😂. The video was pretty little blurry, but the hit rate was around 40% over two mags. I decided to get closer where I could capture the ammo in flight better (to analyze the drift in greater detail). Randomly wound up at a spot where I ranged it to 207m. Here was some of the footage that I shot:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJcdCbMfeXI

Overall, I am inclined to believe that the 24.8gr NSAs at this velocity with this rifle would be a 250y gun in nearly any weather. In calm conditions, I wouldn't doubt that it can shoot accurately further out. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a break in our weather pattern, where I would be able to find the maximum distance that it will shoot sub-MOA groups. Time will tell, and I just hope that doesn't turn out to be next spring!

Very nice. Did you try Jsb Knockout slugs? I tuned my Vulcan 2 (also cz barrel) to around 45 fpe with them and first and only group at 100y i made was 3 shoots under 1".

I would not be surprised if they are good. So far I have only tried 34.1 Varmint Knockers, 29, 34, & 40gr Griffin BTs, some pellets and these 24.8gr Nielsens. With this barrel, the NSAs have had zero flyers / anomalies. The bore is pretty tight (5.482mm when I slugged it after polishing). Twist rate is 17.7" (450cm).

Awesome shooting and workmanship!

Are you ever planning on using the new 700 CZ barrel?

Again...very impressive.

I'll try it at some point. The twist rate is the same as the 550mm, not sure if there are any other differences beyond length. I prefer smaller barrels with big power though.

That is some nice shooting in that kind of wind. Watch out for those nasty spikes on that accu-tac. ;^)

Haha no doubt 😎👍

Fantastic! So, will you keep this one stock, or will you order the 700mm for it? It’s what you were thinking on this one, no? Either way, that’s a shooter for sure!!

I'm keeping this one shorter, but this is already FrankenVet Jr. with the valve and hammer system swap in place 💪

I've been thinking about a .25 Long or .22 Long for some extended range shooting. Maybe even the 700mm barrel. I'm still hoping by the time I decide that they will come out with a mid-cocking side lever. Good shooting!

I'm going to buy a dozen or so to power tune in the near future. Lot's of people have asked me to build them rifles, so that will be fun! I'll probably announce the date on Instagram in the near future.

Nice shooting. I received my Taipan Veteran Long .25 from Talon Tunes just last Friday. I've shot a little paper, a LOT of golf ball sized targets at 50 yards. Can't wait to shoot 100 yards and more. You've inspired me to reach out.

Stretch it's legs! 

He's using a FFP scope so I'm guessing 8" because the target subtends about 1 mil and 1 mil would be 7.2" at 200Y, plus it looks like it's not pointed perfectly square to the shooter.

The way it looks to me in the video is it's .95 mil wide which calculates to being a 7" circle. if it were 1.1 mil wide at 207Y that would make it 8"-ish . Eh you get the point, it's somewhere in that size range.

I hope to have an accurate slug gun someday that works well at longer distances!!!