• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fun with the little gun (HW30S)

Another question: Is the Beeman R7 made by Weihrauch, same parts/materials as the HW30s? Does it have the Record trigger? Equal-to-or-better-than the HW 30?

I am not that familiar with the latest-and-greatest variants of these guns, but yes the R7 basically is the HW 30. The original HW 30 design dates back to the early 1960's, and Beeman first created the R7 by sticking a straight 30 action in an improved stock in the 80's.

Beeman R7 has some checkering on the stock, a bit more eye appeal than the plain jane stock of the HW30s. Both rifles appear identical metal - wise, sights, have not got into the internals.... but I believe I read that they are the same manufacturer with different marketers.

I believe this is right as well. I got the Deluxe model with the nice checkering. 

I seem to remember somebody saying there was a Chinese company that was also called Beeman that was definitely not the same. Then someone else revived the old Beeman name. Sounds confusing but somebody may know the history of it. 

As for scope use, I wouldn’t try a scope on it that wasn’t rated for a springer. That double recoil that was mentioned is definitely there. A powder-burner scope usually can’t handle the forward recoil pulse. 

I have been asked to thin the heard of squirrels and rabbits due to the damage they are doing in our yard, and we have 3/4 acre with neighbors. I went out and bought a gun that was local but that thing is loud and "says" it shoots 1200fps. I don't need, nor do I want that kind of velocity and the HW30 looks very promising. I also have a wife who likes to shoot, and and 8yo who is learning so the HW30 looks like it would be a great gun for the whole family. 

I see AoA has the Urban Assault Pro which has a nice scope and moderator, but I am not sure I want a fixed zoom scope so I will have to see what path I lead myself down! 

I'd call AoA on the phone to verify inventory. Their web page isn't connected to their inventory according to a salesman there so the "in stock" status may not be accurate. I agree about the scope. I ended up just getting the Deluxe rifle in .177 and getting a Bug Buster scope for it. 

To be honest - in .177 this rifle only makes about 6 FPE or so at the muzzle with Baracuda Match 10.65 grain pellets. 6 FPE isn't much if you're wanting humane kills. At least it doesn't seem like enough to me given a choice. By contrast, the Air Arms TX200 in .177 makes 16 FPE at the muzzle with a JSB Heavy 10.34 grain pellet. The HW30S may not be the best choice for hunting or pesting but it is a wonderful air rifle for target shooting and just plain fun.

Hopefully, others who have actually hunted or pested with this rifle will comment.

ronmcc4 lots of people have suggested the HW30 as a back yard pest control gun, and I certainly don't want something that carries too far it there is a missed shot. I was considering the HW50 as well, just want to keep things nice and quiet while hoping to drop the pests where they stand so the neighbors don't have to have dead animals in their yards.

I understand - I have similar concerns here; especially with the grandkids. I'm betting it will be fine considering our friends across the pond are very successful dealing with lower power rifles. I had a Benjamin Marauder Pistol once that I purposefully tuned down to shoot squirrels raiding the bird feeder. Head shots at 12 yards (from my door to the feeder) did the trick very well. 

ronmcc4 lots of people have suggested the HW30 as a back yard pest control gun, and I certainly don't want something that carries too far it there is a missed shot. I was considering the HW50 as well, just want to keep things nice and quiet while hoping to drop the pests where they stand so the neighbors don't have to have dead animals in their yards.

I understand - I have similar concerns here; especially with the grandkids. I'm betting it will be fine considering our friends across the pond are very successful dealing with lower power rifles. I had a Benjamin Marauder Pistol once that I purposefully tuned down to shoot squirrels raiding the bird feeder. Head shots at 12 yards (from my door to the feeder) did the trick very well.

I just spoke with AoA and explained what I wanted to use the gun for, and they agreed it was perfect up to 40 yards or so. I also asked if they could swap the scope out to the HW 3-9, and he said no but "I could buy another one if I wanted". haha He actually suggested that I just buy the Urban Pro setup and if I really don't like the fixed 4x then look elsewhere, which is what pretty much any salesman will say right! 

Regarding your Marauder, I bought my son a 1322 and idk if it needs to be rebuilt or tuned, but it needs work. Pumping is rough and gritty, and the plastic parts really bother me. It looks like there aren't too many options in pumper pistols, and PCP looks like the way to go with a pistol. Is there a reason you don't have one anymore?

As for the Marauder - I tend to buy and sell until I get exactly what I want. I wasn't that much of a fan of the P-rod -- just personal preference. 

Glad you talked with AoA - sounds like the HW30 is perfect for what you need. I agree with you the 4 power fixed scope is probably something you won't be satisfied with in the long run. I put a Bug Buster 3-12 with the side focus feature on mine ($130) with a set of Hawke rings I already had on hand. I've had these little scopes before and they perform very well. The size of them is also a good match for the HW30.

I was fortunate enough to get an HW30 laminate urban pro in .22 from AoA about two months ago. That must have been before the big rush. I'm also waiting on an HW95 urban pro, I hear they're stuck in customs.

The HW30 is not a toy. Out of the box it delivered between 6.5 and 7.5 fpe at the muzzle. Crosman premiere 14.3 grain ran [email protected], H&N Crow Magnum 18.2 ran [email protected], and FTT Greens 9.56 ran [email protected].

In comparison, my Crosman 1322 pistol with a 14" barrel shoots 14.3 grain Premieres at [email protected] with 8 pumps, and [email protected] with 10 pumps.

I installed a Vortek pg2 spring which removed the twang, reduced the thump, increased cocking effort slightly, and saw no power or velocity increase. Interesting. Note, If you install a kit, make sure to deburr the inside of the piston bore. Otherwise the burrs will cut the piston.

I then added the Vortek pg2 piston seal and power jumped between 1/2 and 1 fpe across the board. Premieres are now 8.4fpe. Crow Magnums are 7.4fpe. The real surprise was the H&N FTT Greens which are now doing [email protected] at the muzzle.

So now the HW30 takes only one power stroke to equal ten pumps on the 1322.

Question: why would the new seal increase power? The original Weihrauch seal is considerably softer than the Vortek. Perhaps when subjected to high air pressure, it squishes harder against the bore, causing more friction. The original seal was well greased from the factory, so it can't just be a matter of lube. I probably should reinstall the stock spring and see if power goes down.

And why would the tin FTT Green have a much higher muzzle energy than lead pellets? In any particular gun, all pellets will be subjected to the same driving air pressure and go through the same bore. Pellet energy losses are caused by barrel friction and pellet deformation. Tin pellets are much harder, the skirts may change shape less under air pressure and not bear against the bore as hard. Tin is also less sticky than lead. Tin pellet skirts may experience less permanent deformation, thereby absorbing less energy. This may explain why green pellets retain higher kinetic energy at the muzzle.

I have a Vortek pg3 kit waiting for the new HW95. Now that will be interesting!

JayJay thanks for the review and info. I don't at all think it is a toy and interesting that it might be considered a slighly more powerful rifle version of the 1322. I put about 40 rounds through the 1322 today trying to sight it in again after I found a crack in the OEM barrel band (which i super glued). I just started to get it dialed at 15 yards, and backed up to roughly 25 yards and after my first set of 5 something jammed the pumping action. I look down and see that part of the barrel band (around the pivot pin) broke off. Well for fuchs sake!! 

I have been looking for a new barrel band to accomodate the longer 14.5" barrel I got for it, and the upgraded delrin one I want is out of stock with no ETA. I have heard the metal ones are no great because there is no screw to retain the barrel? Anywho, just makes me more and more frustrated with the cheap plastic crap and drives me towards pulling the trigger on the HW30 urban pro.