• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fun with the little gun (HW30S)

I know all the rage these days is more power and longer shots. I’m into that too (to a point) and its fun. But - I recently got a Wiehrauch HW30S just because I thought it was a neat gun and I didn’t own a German air rifle. Yesterday I installed a Bug Buster (these trifocals don’t work well with open sights), got the rifle sighted in at 20 yards with Baracuda Match (it likes heavy pellets) and started plinking in the back yard. What a blast! Easy to cock; gentle to shoot, very accurate, super quiet, no air tank or pump necessary - just fun all the way around.

I sighted in for 20 yards since the Baracudas were averaging 496 FPS (a whopping 6 FPE) and plugged the info into Strelok. I was flipping an airgun resettable target at 35 yards and even hitting a heavier flipper made for centerfire pistol at 50 yards. Those longer targets answered with a slight “ping” when hit.

I’m really enjoying this little rifle. Fit and finish are excellent and the Bug Buster scope compliments it nicely. If you get tired of chasing high velocities, massive power, and long range kills, take a break with this little rifle or its Beeman R7 cousin. Its just plain fun is all. 

One of my most used guns. I love mine. Superbly accurate and easy to shoot. 
1592679812_19918382235eee5d8492b3e6.00353048.jpeg

I love my R7 too! 

I don't do the quantity of shooting that many guys here do, and I don't often recommend a specific gun/pellet combo. BUT - try the Air Arms Falcon (7.3 gr round-head made by JSB) In your R7.

It turned mine already very pleasant older one, into a EXTREMELY accurate little rifle, with surprising velocity, and an INCREDIBLY smooth shooter...I'm talking darn near recoilless.

I also have both rifles - HW30S and R7, bought for my grandsons, but guns stay at Papas' house. Both rifles wear a Hawke Vantage 4x due to me also wearing tri-focals and I wanted to play with the rifles when grandsons were not around. I considered adding a peep sight to one of the rifles so the boys - that do not wear corrective glasses - could learn both ways of sighting / shooting... and I may still do that at some point. Both of these guns shoot 7.3 JSB very well out to 30-35 yds, though not many other weights or brands have been shot.

Interesting topic, indeed! Like many others, I started with a springer, and after a wide and expensive detour through PCP land, came back to ONE springer: HW 30S. Mine liked JSB 7.9 gr pellets. It gave me bugholes at 20 yards. My daughter came to visit one day, and she fell in love with this little gem. Well, needless to say, it went home with her. I soon replaced it and this one likes JSB 8.44 gr pellets. Again, a super accurate air rifle.Now my son, who recently retired, discovered his sisters HW 30s, and is having a great time with it. His birthday is this week, and I looked for an HW 30 for him and cant find anyone who has one in stock. Any suggestions where I can find one, either new or in excellent condition?

Interesting topic, indeed! Like many others, I started with a springer, and after a wide and expensive detour through PCP land, came back to ONE springer: HW 30S. Mine liked JSB 7.9 gr pellets. It gave me bugholes at 20 yards. My daughter came to visit one day, and she fell in love with this little gem. Well, needless to say, it went home with her. I soon replaced it and this one likes JSB 8.44 gr pellets. Again, a super accurate air rifle.Now my son, who recently retired, discovered his sisters HW 30s, and is having a great time with it. His birthday is this week, and I looked for an HW 30 for him and cant find anyone who has one in stock. Any suggestions where I can find one, either new or in excellent condition?

Airguns of Arizona is where I got mine. Try them. They are a little behind on shipping but not a lot. If you order from them be sure to verify their inventory first by phone. Their web site isn’t directly connected to their inventory. 

That HW30S really seems nice. I've heard that it is mild enough to not need a springer rated scope. Does anybody know if this is true?

I start by saying I'm not a scope expert, but I n my opinion - no.

The thing that kills scopes is the "2-way" recoil of a springer - it nudges backwards with the trigger is first released (I.e., equal-and-opposite reaction to the spring's pushing the piston forward), then snaps forward, just milliseconds later, as the piston comes to a rest.

Light guns like the R7, though they feel much more pleasant to shoot, can actually move more under recoil, since they lack the mass to damp out the movement.