Fun Plinking

Just wanted to see what everyone else is shooting. The weather is starting to get colder and want to get more shooting in. So got home today and did a little in the back yard with the Anschutz 8002 S2 I was working on setting up for field target. Well life got in the way and I never got around to getting things set up.

I do know from 10 yards to 30 yards she is a hammer and a joy to shoot. Was tipped off to these Paul's targets and they are buy far some of the best targets out there.

So what do you guys plink?

20231010_150507.jpg
20231010_150330.jpg

Oh man, SkeeterHawk, can I come to your place and shoot? lol!

I have an array of resettable targets but I made a bunch of these from left over rebar. They're cheap to make, stack for storage/transport, can be set on ground too hard to drive flimsy resettables into and grandkids can easily run out there to set them up and take them down.

I gotta admit too, there's something about plinking soda cans with a pellet gun that calls to the the 10 year old still living somewhere in the recesses of my brain.

DSC04378 (2).JPG

Oh man, SkeeterHawk, can I come to your place and shoot? lol!
LOL! I hear ya! The range has been a work in progress for sure.

I made a bunch of these from left over rebar.
That is a great idea! I can't drive a target into the ground here either, so I have to put stuff on top of the ground. Those are some nice bends in the rebar, so are you using a torch and a form?

I see you are tying off onto the can tab. I would recommend using a 2" galvanized finishing nail tied to a slip knot like this:
20231108_085608_Cropped.jpg

You can just drop this down into the hole, and it catches like a "fish hook". You can use regular sharp nosed pliers to get the nail back out easily once you get the hang of how to do it. This will hang on a lot tighter than the tab does. Another bonus is that you can double-up your cans on the same target and make cheap spinners by threading the nail/string through a tab on one, and then dropping the nail into another, like this:
20230410_170707.jpg

Thanks again for sharing the concept of the rabar target stands. Safe shooting!!

Reactions: fisherhunt3
I like the nail concept. Makes rigging quick and simple. Here is what it takes to bend and make those target stands. No need for heat with 3/8 inch rebar. I just placed the rebar in a vice at the point I wanted to bend, slipped a piece of 1/2 inch pipe over the end and leaned on it. Placing a pipe over the rebar makes a tight bend and keeps the piece you're bending nice and straight.

You just have to plan the orders of your bends so you don't "paint yourself into a corner" as they say, lol.

DSC04378.JPG

DSC04379.JPG

Awesome! Thanks for the info!! Impressive that you are able to get them consistent enough to be able to stack them! I'll have to try this at some point, but I am sure that my first few won't be so pretty.
They don't have to be perfect. To stack or "nest" the angle of the bends of the legs are the most important to make similar. Different heights and widths matter less. Here are five together. Right now I just have cardboard with paper bull's taped to four but the taller one in front has an 8 inch dia. hubcap hung from wires.

image0 (46).jpeg

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
BTW we use to put a wood screw into a empty 12 gram CO2 bottle, then tie it with some steel wire ( single strand ) to something it can spin around.
Spaced out with 3 inches so it really get spinning when you hit it.
Back then just shooting 15 M or so with our .22 rifles, and they would eventually make a hole in the CO2 bottles

The challenge was to hit it again before it was stationary, when you hit it real good dead on the damn thing hit a good RPM number, you do not need to hurry cocking the rifle and get ready for the next shot.