• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fun hunt with the shooting sticks

Today I carried the shooting sticks with me. I am a really poor offhand shooter. Left shoulder is pretty much shot (needs a replacement) and holding the for grip out steady shot is tough. I can lean against a tree or something and do OK. Where this mornings hunt was going to be it is open and available rests are few and far between. A bunch of walnut trees scattered. I had a day of three and a day of two a couple weeks ago. So at daylight I was there watching the sun rise. It was quiet with no wind early. First two grays showed up together. I was actually sitting at a picnic table facing some big oak timber where I knew most would of the targets would be coming from. Both squirrels went into a huge red oak. Shooting sticks ready the first one stopped on a limb to check out the area before hitting the ground to run to the first walnut. Ranged at 39.8 yards. I got on him and pulled the trigger and down he went. This alerted the second one who stopped on a limb facing away and started barking. I barked at her and she tuned her head and then there was two down. I turned away looking to another place thinking there would be a pause in the first place. Well a third came from the previous area and took off across the grass into the walnuts and did not stop going right past me to way off to the other end of the walnuts. It worked the top until it found a suitable nut to hull and cut and start cutting. I worked myself over slowly but not slow enough and it disappeared behind the tree. I took a seat on the ground and set up the sticks and waited. Soon from around the tree he came out and perched on a limb and began to start hulling again. I ranged again at 29 yards pulled the trigger and third one down. Got my prizes picked up and watched for awhile as the wind began to pick up. Enough I could not hear and pick out any with leaves moving. Left the three sitting on picnic table and walked down a hill into more protected bottom area. Down there I seen one moving from tree to tree and headed that way. As I got closer it began to bark. I was close but could not find it. I kept creeping and there it was. CLOSE. I dropped the legs on shooting sticks and did I say close? Less than ten yards. I am sighted at 40 yards, have a hold over of four and a half mil dots. That is where I sighted. Pulled trigger and missed, flat whiffed the shot. It left and I continued my walk. Went another bit and turned around. On way back another gray over my head in tree tops and over a dry creek bed on a branch stopped for a few seconds. Shooting sticks already set no time to range took the shot and ker thump it went down. Very satisfied with my morning back up the hill for a couple pictures. On the flip side belly pic you can tell which three have been cutting our native black walnuts,

thumbnail_0918200841.1600454607.jpg
thumbnail_0918200842.1600454634.jpg
My next post will be picture heavy as I do a step by step on how I clean my squirrel. 

I have done a lot of offhand shooting in my life competition very serious competition. It takes a long time to learn and then that is shooting at a target that is level with you at known ranges. You mentioned a bad left shoulder assuming that you are right hand shooting I would recommend to stay with your shooting sticks and use what ever tree is handy. Even though I have shot and won a lot of offhand stuff when I'm out in the woods I rarely shoot offhand it's just too dang hard to get every thing lined up, feet placed just right, shoulder and hands just so-so and by then the squirrel moves! 

I hunt around on the South side of Truman lake now and then you are not that far away maybe we could meet up sometime and I could show you some helpful hints. PM me if you like.

RB

Dinfelder,

Here is a view from my windowsill. 
thumbnail_0919201608_HDR.1600554488.jpg
 I have a padded bench I can shoot off of while sitting on the floor. We like to feed the birds but do have trouble with the squirrels and racoons. So bad were the coons at night they were tearing up the bird feeders. Squirrels chewing them up. I couldn't be there 24/7 to stand guard so I made a plan. Built an industrial feeder to hang on a tree 19.5 yards away from the window. The bird feeder is armored with eighth inch plate. I made drop down doors that are closed every night. Racoons no more problem took care of chewing squirrels on the corners . Screens in the doors so sunflower seed will not run out. It will hold over five gallons of sunflower seed. Yes I do shoot a few squirrels off of it but prefer to roam the woods to get them. 
thumbnail_0919201609.1600555045.jpg
DSC_0002.1600555075.JPG
thumbnail_0919201610.1600555098.jpg
Alarm to let me know to see what is out there. So many birds I have to turn it off sometimes!
thumbnail_0919201610a.1600555181.jpg
 In lean times I have seen a squirrel on all three ports. Many get a free pass. They feed me so I give back to them.

I've got one of those corn cob feeders too. Haven't put it up yet. Just sticking the cobs on nails. I think I need to plate it or something, because it's nice wood that would get torn up by pellets too fast. And actually it's the bluejays that like the corn best; my squirrels are ignoring them.

I do like the idea of feed stations. I have a metal pellet catcher from Amazon at 15 yards and a stump I scatter seed around the base of, and on top of, at 10 yards. Especially since I shoot down, I think the backdrops are safe. The only problem is we get invaded by turkeys all the time and they eat up all the seed! I definitely need something sturdy up in a tree like you have.