• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

\"Fuel filter\" silencer moderator any good for air guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gads, I hate to be a party pooper but my complete and utter paranoia of DHA and BATF is kicking in

I suspect fuel filter moderator will do some good on an air rifle, but do be careful with the legalities. My understanding is that if it can work on a Powder Burner, it's probably considered a firearm (completely stupid, but politicians wrote the code). Even if you never mount it on a firearm, it's a suppressor, therefore, a firearm in its own right.

The preppers advertise them for firearms use, so if someone got caught with it and had powder burners in the house, the DHS or Alphabet org might consider it usable on a firearm, so could land the owner in a heap 'o trouble.

If you are buying off Ali Express, there are a few that are illegal (yes, I even checked with a lawyer) without FFL import papers, even though they are sold as oil filters. Even if there's no hole or way to mount it, if it looks like a suppressor, smells like a suppressor, and quiets like a suppressor, it is a suppressor. Just be careful and stay within the law.

Have a look at this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270sLN5WL2I

If you believe the video, DHS follows Ali Express purchases that could be used as "Silencers". This guy apparently bought filters / adapter from overseas, and DHS showed up to collect them.

I've seen stuff on Ali Express and DH gate that turns a certain 9mm pistol into a full auto, advertised as "Airsoft Parts", or "Oil Filters" that are suppressors, just labeled incorrectly to throw the Feds off, and the Feds know the game extremely well. All sorts of stuff available that is of questionable legality.

Yes, I'm paranoid, but it's not worth the problems a group like DHS can cause.

Fuel filter silencer kits are a very touchy area on firearms. The AT and Alphabet org are watching the internet traffic and monitoring people who order those "kits."

AGN has taken issue in the past with items that bridge the line between firearms and airguns. We do not want to conflate the two. AGN does not allow discussion of homemade explosives, either.

Keep it airgun only, IMHO.

Skirting the law is not welcome here. Airgun silencer use is not a problem, using a work around the firearms silencer regulations IS a problem. Please refrain.

First post with no Information in the profile, name "G"man.... I am not a big believer in conspiracy....but this smells funny to me.

Ditto. Refrain from manufacturing or using things traditionally used as suppressors for airguns. Traditional suppressors deal with the thermodynamics of the heat from the explosion behind a projectile, whereas a moderator deals with capturing the air and sound through materials that deal with reverberation and so on.

Believe it or not there are legal plastic LDCs for under $27 and then you don't have to get a tax stamp and register a suppressor device (a legal firearm which is illegal in most states and its use on an airgun can be called instructive intent - combine that charge with possession of an illegal firearm charge and you have two right away). Unwise and illegal.

If you own any threaded firearms then the "oil solvent traps" are a good way to land yourself is jail. AliExpress and other places advertise a "*wink*wink*wink*" solvent trap that the end user intends to be made into a firearm suppressor. The Alphabet org has been on a mole-whacking exercise chasing down the solvent trap vendors. The web stores pop up, sell a few hundred and then disappear again into the ether.

Please refrain from discussing this product as it is not intended "For Airgun Use Only".

Thanks

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.