• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

FT Trigger

Quick question: Is there any real advantage or disadvantage in using a good crisp SINGLE STAGE trigger in FT? I’ve tuned several TX MK3 2 stage triggers with good results but my latest acquisition seems to defy all attempts to get it right. It does however seem to be quite happy to allow a very nice single stage tune. What do you think, just shoot it or send the trigger off for a pro tune? Uj

I went off on a big tangent/rant, mostly directed at my past self. Here are my thoughts, more succinctly.

If you are willing to compromise on the trigger on a competition gun (one of the most important things we can actually control), is it really a competition gun? If you need to compromise a little on the cheek height, or the fore end depth, or the butt pad, fine. We've all been there. But the trigger is the last thing you are going to touch before the pellet goes into motion. It is the last point of intention for a shot to be good or bad. It needs to be right,. Whether it's one stage, two stage, heavy, light, doesn't matter. It needs to be the way you want it to be, otherwise you are just wasting pellets. I prefer a light second stage and I think most other FT shooters do as well. If you are asking the question, I think you already know the answer for yourself.

Do this little exercise. Imagine someone is selling you a TX. He has two guns that are identical except one has a good, crisp single stage trigger and one has a nice, light second stage trigger. Which one would you buy?

Reactions: cavedweller
Single stage. I started out with a light 2 stage and changed to a single stage precisely for the same reason as Scott; offhand. The single stage doesn’t negatively affect my shooting in the sitting or kneeling position but does greatly assist my offhand shooting. I suggest you give both a try shooting offhand and see what works best for you. Then decide to keep it or send it out for a pro tune.