• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FT Targets

There is probably discussion here somewhere about this but so far I haven't found it. If someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I want to set up a bit of a field target practice range in my yard. I have enough room to have the full 55 yard shots. I am looking for targets to use. I'd like them to be reasonably durable but I shoot under 12 fpe so they don't necessarily need to be built like a tank. Cost is an issue too since I'd like to have three or four of them.

I have browsed the Air Venturi rat on the run and a Gamo squirrel target. RX Targets look really well made but are just too expensive for me. Rhino targets also look nice but also not cheap.

Is there a source of targets that are maybe priced somewhere between Air Venturi or Gamo and the Rhino? How do the Air Venturi and Gamo targets hold up and do they function reliably?

Any info that can be provided would be appreciated.

18B98DCA-D7ED-4029-97DE-2955B7091CB5.1606056519.png
I have about the same yardage you have. The problem with traditional field targets is running strings and also the targets have to be level and in a solid base to properly fall and be able to reset.

in my yard I have a few different targets. But almost all I have put inside ammo cans with some duct seal. 

For spinners I like firearm .22 spinners. The just hold up better. I do cut them off the mounts they come on and put them in the ammo can with a piece of all thread and some nuts and washers.

For field target style targets I like the Crosman reset squirrel. It holds up better than the other brands. The crow and boar I think sold by Remington get the reset bent out of shape. They are not as strong. The crosman last forever with just occasional tightening up. But, every single one of them I have had the squirrel break off. They are just spot welded on. If you can weld a nice bead would take care of it.

The reason I use the ammo cans is to help contain the pellet splatter. The inner parts of the cans end up peppered with lead.

Our ft club also uses old saw blades. You just need a face plate with a hole in it. Usually a piece of wood with an old ft face plate on it to protect the wood. Hang the blade on the back with a bolt. They make a great gong sound. We use these where targets with string are hard to get at.

Bill,

There have been discussions about targets on here before. We have an inventory of at least 13 different kinds of targets that we use for our matches so we have some experience. Some of our targets are 30 years old and still work but the currently available targets that we use are the Gamo and Air Venturi Targets. They work very well but are not the most heavy duty targets but they are priced right. We have had some of the Gamos for over ten years and they do hold up fairly well. We have modified the linkage with small bolts to replace the friction fit stuff(very easy). We also use some aftermarket faceplates for variety. In the ten years I have just replaced two paddles that were pretty shot up. We don't leave the targets out and only use them for our matches. We have a practice range and use the practice targets for that with no string and a bottom paddle to reset. That and swingers would be easier for a practice range. We use washers and bolt them on when we want reducers as the Gamo reducers are ng.

Paul Porch also currently makes a lot of custom Field Targets priced fairly and he will make whatever you want. Calvin at Quality Targets makes some replacement faceplates for gamos and also made me some replacement paddles.

Remington Field Targets were available but we never tried them as they looked a bit light weight to us.

Rick Bassett

Falls Twsp R & P Assn.

While they are not field targets you might consider a bell target by abctargets.com as I believe they have many of the same aperature sizes as field targets. They are very durable and require little to no maintenance and you don't need to deal with pull/reset strings. 

About this time last year they had a cyber monday sale where it was buy 3 get the fourth free which was when I purchased mine, perhaps they will do so again this year. The prices seem comparable to the targets you mentioned especialy if you plan to purchase a large number of them.

How well do the targets with the reset paddles work? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they don't reset reliably by shooting the reset paddle. One of those would be more convenient for practice than running a cord.

They work just fine. There is a nut that you can adjust the friction. Every once in a while a few drops of oil. Mine live outside.

They have more of an issue shooting much above 18-20 fpe. That can cause the top paddle to bounce back on its own. 

i shoot mine at forty yards with an fwb300 and it will reset most of the time at 6 fpe.

I have plenty of room for multiple lanes but I usually do not want to take the time to put strings out. Last time I shot FT at Pecan Plantation they had a number of the shoot to reset and I liked them, so I picked up 3 Rat on a stick on the Pyramid sale Friday as well as 3 more rat on the run. I also found a Crosman squirrels but the have only one size hole to shot through. There is not much wrong with the Air Venturi or Gamo style targets especially for the price. I have found a source for reasonable priced targets in England (http://www.nockover-targets.co.uk/cordless_targets.html) but have not checked out shipping costs. 

Mark

http://www.flop-over.co.uk/

Flop Over Targets are less than Paul’s targets and more than Gamos or Air Venturis.

If you order at least six targets, the UPS shipping and price per target becomes very reasonable $34 each. All welded construction with no bolts to loosen up. No maintenance except for repainting.

EE9D937C-94B2-48FB-957D-88288078AAF1.1606161355.jpeg
F77BAAB8-F254-442A-9AD8-3B4A64CE4572.1606161355.jpeg

I have FT targets from most of the major target makers. Hands down I think the Air Venturi rat is the best price for quality going. And that holds true when you pay $20 for them (whoever got them for $11 got a crazy good deal). The rat is decently thick steel and pretty good hardware. No real need to modify or upgrade. The reducers work well for a while until you over tighten and pop the bolt off the faceplate. But then you just get someone to weld them on the front where they should have been in the first place. Only complaint is they only make one animal, the rat. I’d buy more if they had more options. Remington and Crosman are really thin steel and cheap hardware, but they still work. You’ll probably be changing out the hardware pretty soon and maybe an upgraded faceplate after that. I usually use those at longer distance so they’re getting hit with less ft lb. Once you get out of the $20-$25 range your next option is $60-$70 and those are Rhino and Paul’s. My favorite targets are Rhino. Built with a unique, very adjustable mechanism that’s built like a Sherman tank. But, the person making those isn’t currently making them. Unknown if and when he’ll resume. Paul’s are heavy and solid and will take a beating for decades. The trigger mechanism seems a bit less refined and lacks ability to easily adjust, but they work. I got some info from knock over targets in the UK. The steel seems a bit on the thin side though they’re probably made for UK and their 12 ft lb limit. The targets are a very reasonable $32 each, but when you factor in shipping they get pricey. I got quotes for 5 and 10. Shipping for 5 targets is about $200 which makes them $72 each. Shipping for $10 is about $300 making them $62 per target. I’ll definitely check out flop over targets UK, thank for that info. 

Thank you everybody for the feedback. I will start with an Air Venturi rat, maybe a couple of them. And I will keep in mind the other sources mentioned.

Like I said this is for a range in my yard so I don't need a large number of targets. Nor do I want to spend a huge amount of money.

It would be nice if Air Venturi made more than just a rat. I'd also like to know if the one with the reset paddle works well or if the one with the reset string is a better choice.

Most has been mentioned but the reset paddle targets are the way to go for practice. They work well, have no string and are easy to set because they have a spike that you just sick into the ground so they are also easy to move around as well. We use them on our airgun range along with some swinger targets and we leave them out most of the time.

Rick

Those Flop Over targets look like a nice option if the shipping wasn't a potential issue. I get it that you can reduce the per target price by ordering a quantity of them. But the end result is that I have to spend more money than I want to for a back yard range. I either have to pay a high price per target for just a couple of them or pay a higher total price to get the per target price down.

I am going to send an email to see what the actual shipping cost on two targets is. The price before shipping is definitely very reasonable.