• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

FT power limits in the US

RidinLou,

In US Field Target there are several different classes. International or WFTF class is limited to 12 ft. Lbs, and there are separate divisions for spring guns and PCP's. All other classes within AAFTA (AMERICAN AIRGUN FIELD TARGET ASSOCIATION) have a limit of 20 ft. Lbs. These classes include Hunter PCP, Hunter Springer, Open PCP, Open Springer. 

There are a good deal of countries that have a 12 ft lb. limit due to their laws, which is why there is a 12 ft lb limit for international class.

USA also has Pistol classes, and that has a 12 ft lb limit as well.

Some guns are specifically designed for 20 ft. Lbs, and some guns are specifically designed for 12 ft. Lbs. It is common to get either of these platforms and tune them up, or tune them down, depending upon what class the shooter competes in, and personal taste in guns

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Different Divisions as for limits and styles.

12fpe for WFTF, 20FPE for all others (Hunter, Open, Unlimited if offered). Some Clubs are doing EU style HFT/Hunter Field Target (different than the Hunter division in US) Which is also 12fpe but also some other different rules. 

There are few appropriate (new sales) guns left in the US that shoot at sub 12FPE but many can be adjusted. Some with more success than others. There also seem to be an ever decreasing number that shoot well at a max of 20fpe.

I don't have the website handy but a search for AFTA should find you the website and the regulations are there for the US classes. I don't really want to start calling out manufactures or retailers here but I will tell you that FX .177's that I've owned (more than I want to admit) since the introduction of the Smooth Twist barrel, have been impossible to get to shoot at 12fpe (not just barrel's fault) but have also been no-go's even at 18-19 fpe (a practical limit for a '20fpe' gun)

That said, I have ONE FX .177 WC that shoots lights out at 19fpe. I believes its a unicorn.

There are rifles that can be adjusted to shoot in these ranges but I personally think the lack of reasonably price rifles fitting this mold is going to be a bigger player in the future of the US FT game than many of the things often discussed.

Well, it seems like I went on a rant that you didn't ask for... but there it is.