• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

FT Jacket

If you want a Field Target jacket that is comfortable to wear all day, will last your lifetime and folds down nice to travel with in your suitcase, buy a Kurt Thune Field Target 600 jacket. I got mine years ago after trying one on at Worlds 2019 in England. I went through Brenzovich in Texas, and they were great to deal with. SInce the jackets made in Finland, you have to fill out the sizing sheet and get it to Brenzovich, and he forwards it on to Kurt in Finland. It took a couple months to get mine in the mail. Buy once and cry once. The jacket cost me $ 750. But I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you want to spend less, creedmoor, and Champions Choice has a great selection of shooting jackets. BC

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
My question is other than added stability, what is the other reasons to wear a shooting jacket for WFTF?
I personally think that there is no other reason. I have been shooting WFTF for quite some time, but I have never used a shooting jacket or glove. It definitely helps, but I prefer to invest my money in a better rifle or scope, rather than in clothing, which could supposedly give me 1 or 2 more points.

Reactions: L.Leon and K9bite
If you want a Field Target jacket that is comfortable to wear all day, will last your lifetime and folds down nice to travel with in your suitcase, buy a Kurt Thune Field Target 600 jacket. I got mine years ago after trying one on at Worlds 2019 in England. I went through Brenzovich in Texas, and they were great to deal with. SInce the jackets made in Finland, you have to fill out the sizing sheet and get it to Brenzovich, and he forwards it on to Kurt in Finland. It took a couple months to get mine in the mail. Buy once and cry once. The jacket cost me $ 750. But I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you want to spend less, creedmoor, and Champions Choice has a great selection of shooting jackets. BC
I was looking at the Creedmoor and Champions Choice jackets, they look nice. The Thune jackets are a little too spendy for my budget.

I was looking at the Creedmoor and Champions Choice jackets, they look nice. The Thune jackets are a little too spendy for my budget.

Creedmoor coats are top notch.

I used a Creedmoor Hardback coat for NRA shooting and have no complaints.
Measure yourself carefully, and err on the + side if at all possible. You can wear heavier undergarments and snug up a loose coat, but cramming into a too small coat is very annoying.

What would one want a jacket to do other than add stability? One or two more points is often the difference between first and second.

I use a Benke jacket by Anshutz. I ordered it from Krale for a decent price and I like it.

Tim
I was looking at those too. They are much cheaper and seem very popular, based on pics I've seen of the WFTC, etc. Wondering why the other's are so much more expensive than the Benke. Maybe more durable?

Something to bear in mind about jackets. A lot of shooters don't even tighten them up unless they are shooting positional shots. $750 is a lot of money for something that you only get full use from on standing and kneeling lanes.
I'm using an older Champions Choice jacket. It's unlined cotton and cool enough to wear in the summer. It's not as stiff and supportive as the more expensive jackets, but it's also not going to give me heat stroke. If I had to buy another jacket right now, I would get the Champions Choice NRA Nylon for $95. The Creedmore Deluxe cotton/poly coats look ok, but the thickness of the pads is a little off-putting for me. My current jacket is basically a Creedmore Deluxe with Champions Choice pads. Now if I would just remember to actually buckle it for the standing lanes, that would be great.

Something to bear in mind about jackets. A lot of shooters don't even tighten them up unless they are shooting positional shots. $750 is a lot of money for something that you only get full use from on standing and kneeling lanes.
I'm using an older Champions Choice jacket. It's unlined cotton and cool enough to wear in the summer. It's not as stiff and supportive as the more expensive jackets, but it's also not going to give me heat stroke. If I had to buy another jacket right now, I would get the Champions Choice NRA Nylon for $95. The Creedmore Deluxe cotton/poly coats look ok, but the thickness of the pads is a little off-putting for me. My current jacket is basically a Creedmore Deluxe with Champions Choice pads. Now if I would just remember to actually buckle it for the standing lanes, that would be great.
Good point, I live in Arizona, so...

Ft jackets not only help in kneeling/standing and I think they are very important overall for the intermediate shooter.

The grey benke is a good “cheap” option but will not hold on very well for more than 2 years. The one I like is the KT high power, more rigid than the KT FT that’s too light in my opinion and not soo expensive. It comes in clear colors so it’s not so hot and comes also with straps

ISSF jackets have buttons (per ISSF rules), NRA jackets tend to have straps/buckles because the NRA doesn't define a button and looseness requirement for the jacket.
Here it claims you may need to add your own buttons.. i guess that gets a guy around a rule..

To the OP, be careful whose opinion you listen to. Some folks have no idea how to properly use a shooting coat or even what it is. I’m not saying SCotton is one of the people, I’m just sayin. ;-)

A properly designed shooting coat will be thick and stiff enough that it improves the shooters stability for offhand and kneeing shots. It will also have padding in the shoulder, elbow, arms, etc that it will help stabilize and damp heartbeats when seated. I have a Kurt Thune FT jacket that works well, and when I finally wear it out, I’ll order a Creedmoor hardback jacket. If you look online over in the UK, you can find Kurt Thune jackets on the rack so they are cheaper ($550) and you don’t have to wait for it to be made.