• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Frustrated

I have an Aztec 5.5 × 25 x 50 that I have lost total trust in. I really like the glass and reticle. Maybe it is me or it is my HM1000X. 25 raw. I'm just a regular old guy trying to make this rifle shoot the best it and I can. This is what is going on . Sight it in today, tomorrow the rifle will shoot 4 -5" high or low depending on where I adjusted the scope the day before. If I shoot an extended while the scope will slowly move in elevation the direction it was adjusted to. This scope is almost a year old. Get a new scope? Throw the gun in the dumpster. Buy new gun and scope. Any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks Barry 

Barry do you have a different scope to put on it to rule out the possibility of the scope being the problem? 

Sounds like it is time to see what warranty that scope has.

Oh yah, I would definitely poop can that rifle, but you never know who might get a hold of it in there, (liability problems) so send it to me and I will make sure it's disposed of properly ;~Þ lol 

Good luck John C 

If you’ve already checked the rings screws, the mount screws and everything is nice and snug. Mount it on another gun and see if same issue occurs. If you get no joy send it in for a warranty replacement. They do have a lifetime warranty so take advantage of it. My Aztec Emerald FFP holds zero just fine. My illumination turret stopped working, the scope was replaced, but they took three weeks to do so. I do really like the reticle and like you have been using it for a year. I have hundreds of pests kills through mine, it has been solid for me in the field. Good luck!

Let's assume your pellets are OK. Here's what I would do:

Mount a different scope securely on the rifle. THERE IS NO NEED TO ZERO IT. Just shoot several 5 shot groups at 20 yards from a rest. If OK it's your scope. If still wild, it's your rifle.

There are lots of reasons a rifle goes bad. Breech seal is a first guess. Check on a crony to further pin it down. Good Luck.

Great suggestions, I will take them one at a time so I can maybe narrow the issue down. This has been going on for some time now. Day before yesterday I set up to shoot,.4' low, I made no adjustments, just used holdover and the gun shot true. Didn't realize Aztec had a lifetime warrantee, kind of looking like i might be needing it. I will exhauste all other potential problems first. Thanks so much for helping. Barry

I really like the scope, it is crystal clear at 100yds. My mission today is to put your suggestions on the table and eliminate them one at a time. It is quite windy here today and tight groups will not happen, I will keep you informed as to what I figure out. Push come or shove I will ship it to Ken Hicks and see if he can take care of it. Barry 

A couple things to consider. ..

Stress from your mounting system. Caps being over tight very much affect the internals of some side paralax scopes. Poor alignment from rings can put similar stress on the scope .

I don't remember the name of the guy but he experimented with that AND running the turrets through their range MANY times. The turret range exercise was theoretically to move manufacturing grease around inside. In his treatise he made the statement that after mounting zero stress and cycling the turrets, ALL his cheap scopes and higher end ones as well seemed to track properly , hold zero, and hold up on magnum springers. We see the recommendations for zero stress mounting but you have to dig a little to find ring cap torque values. The light bulb for me was when a friend had serious problems with a Sighton 10-50 and found cap torque to only be 11 or so INCH LB. That isn't much torque . No problems plus perfect tracking after retorquing.

Something to think about and try if you're inclined .

Bob

Here is what I've done today. Removed scope checked the barrel screws. They were tight. Reinstalled scope level with rifle. Shot this shot string on the chrony.

1574627000_5561317025ddae6b8481eb1.78564336_IMG_20191124_151445312.jpg

It was windy but the grouping was 2.5-3.0" low. The wind was from behind me 7:00 to 2:00. Thanks Bob I will definitely check the torque on the mounting screws. Barry

I feel your pain! I have been dealing with this for months. Turns out that both my scope and rifle were to blame. That took a while to understand and figure out. As a matter of fact I'm still dealing with it...I am on my 4th scope replacement (it sits in its box until I get my gun issues sorted out). As for my rifles, I have issues with two of them. One of them was sent back to the manufacturer and has been returned to me ("repaired" and "retuned") only to continue to fail. Now the other rifle has to be sent back as well. What are the chances that I happened to get 2 "bad" high end rifles from the same manufacturer? 

Just this week I had to buy another rifle (same brand as my others) from an Airgun Nation member just so that I can continue to work while I send these back for repair/replacement. 

Going through all the troubleshooting stinks but unfortunately, it is necessary. Thanks to all the members for all the help. 

I hope this all get sorted out soon. Not just for me but for you and all the others having these problems too.

Good luck and stay strong.

I feel your pain! I have been dealing with this for months. Turns out that both my scope and rifle were to blame. That took a while to understand and figure out. As a matter of fact I'm still dealing with it...I am on my 4th scope replacement (it sits in its box until I get my gun issues sorted out). As for my rifles, I have issues with two of them. One of them was sent back to the manufacturer and has been returned to me ("repaired" and "retuned") only to continue to fail. Now the other rifle has to be sent back as well. What are the chances that I happened to get 2 "bad" high end rifles from the same manufacturer? 

Just this week I had to buy another rifle (same brand as my others) from an Airgun Nation member just so that I can continue to work while I send these back for repair/replacement. 

Going through all the troubleshooting stinks but unfortunately, it is necessary. Thanks to all the members for all the help. 

I hope this all get sorted out soon. Not just for me but for you and all the others having these problems too.

Good luck and stay strong.

Iguana, how about a heads up on the two PCPs you are having problems with?

@Barry seems like your standard deviation is in the double digits, it’s at least 11 FPS between shots, and your ES is at least 40 FPS. Those numbers seem high for a regulated gun.

I agree about the chrono numbers, they seem to be all over the place from a reputable gun. I am hoping it is the chronograph. After my last post I recounted the scope but I used my torque driver to tighten it down. Somehow tightening down on the scope rings too much makes a lot of sense. My scope reticle moves greatly over an extended time. We will see tomorrow if this has anything to do with my issue. If my poa and poi are good tomorrow I will be a happy camper. Many thanks to all who have chipped in to help. I enjoy the shooting but not the trouble shooting too much. Thanks again Barry 

I set up rifle today and was relieved when my point of aim and point of impact were exactly where I had adjusted to yesterday. Thanks to everyone, we were able to fix my issues with my rifle and scope. Bob your suggestions to properly torque the scope rings took care of me. Thanks to this site I had just received my torque driver. Tightened the rings to 11 inch lbs and now the scope and rifle are spot on. Cant say enough thanks to everyone who has helped me. Barry