Frustrated with my .22 cal Marauder

Maybe I just got lucky or am easy to please or both. It wasn't skill as a tuner. I did loose some velocity with the tune but I shoot through fox squirrels with the tune. They used to chew on my house. What I like is the flatness of the velocity curve. I think I could get more shots per fill with tuning but I get free air ten minutes from the house.

"Killzone"Update - I reassembled with a BStaley Tune - 3 #211 O-rings from True Value. I'm not sure if they are the 70 shore ones as they were not labeled so. I shot some strings and this is the best I could get with the hammer spring set at 6 and the hammer throw set at 2 and the valve full open.

I'm not pleased with the results - 690 down to 630 between 3000 and 2400 psi. Dan 25 - if I could get up to the mid 800, were you at, I'd be pleased.

I don't think the hammer is getting deep enough into the O-rings and if I increases the hammer throw any more the hammer striker may make too much contact with the valve that the hammer may not make contact with the O-rings at all - defeating the tune.

I think I need more spring rate or perhaps the O-rings are 90 shore. I just received my order from the O-ring Store so I have some 70 shore O-rings in there - I could try that as well.
Sorry for being a bit late to the show...I just discovered this forum. Your graph indicates that you have too much hammer spring energy. Decrease your preload or use a lighter spring.

bstaley - "Decrease your preload or use a lighter spring."

Thanks for the reponce. That is very unintuitive. I can try doing that - but as I remember I may have tried shooting a string with a lower hammer spring tension and I thought the data appeared to be similar only starting at a lower velocity and sloping similar to the chart above. I try reducing the hammer spring and shooting a string and repost.

Cheers - Jay

The constant downward slope is your problem. What you want is for the velocity to start out low, rise slowly to a peak, and then drop back down to where it started. Just worry about the shape of the shot curve, not the velocity, when adjusting spring tension. Once you've got a nice curve with a peak about half way through your desired pressure range, THEN you adjust velocity by turning the stroke adjustment in or out in very small increments (1/8 - 1/4 turn at a time).

The issue of accuracy in your .22 marauder has to do w/the machining of the bore. In recent production, -the process of machining the barrel bores has changed which has improved the accuracy issues. I'm not going to get into the specifics of the change at this point as it may generate more questions than is necessary. The new .22 Marauders are proving to shoot extremely well. It really has nothing to do w/any of the other mentioned possible issues. This is a fact and not hearsay. regards.

Hopefully crsmnguy will reply and clarify, but I don't think there was any barrel change from gen 1 to gen 2 guns? I have had all 3 cailbers in both gen 1 and 2 and only ever had an issue with a gen 1 .177 as far as barrel issues. I have been lucky with .22's. Actually my current gen 2 .22 is the most accurate .22 mrod I have owned.

If crsmnguy's statement holds true and the new barrels are accurate, that would be great!! I would love to build a regulated .22 mrod but didn't want to spend the extra $200 for an accurate .22 barrel assuming buying a new gun would yield a bad barrel? Hopefully that means buying a new .22 will no longer be a gamble and helps out guys like you 30cal and killzone, and a number of others on this very forum that have .22 barrel issues.

As good as the .25's are, it would be awesome to have the same type of out of the box accuracy from the .22's

I will answer several questions here. These barrels are not considered junk barrels. They are simply current production barrels. ALL Marauders are accuracy checked on a template w/factory settings before leaving. If they didn't pass, they didn't ship. It's just that the 22 cal accuracy was not consistently good like the .177 and .25 guns. The barrels would be changed out until they passed. As you all know the ammo has a lot to do w/accuracy. So your brand of pelletmay not equal our test results; -especially after changing other settings.
As many people have indicated, -their guns shoot very well, and then there were some not so well. If a gun shoots well, most people just expect it and little is mentioned on these forums. If a gun shoots less than optimal, there is tenfold as much noise made about it on these forums. And rightfully so. These things aren't exactly cheap, and above average performance should be expected. The only barrels that are scrapped are those that failed the accuracy test. If you have a gun that you consider to be outside the parameters and it is under warranty, the fix should be accommodated. If it is out of warranty, I'm not sure what the cost of a replacement would be, but explain the issue. But remember thru product life cycle many products are improved upon over time, which does not infer that the predecessor was necessarily faulty. All this being said the new .22 marauders are shooting extremely tight groups, -and consistently. As for the ? on Gen 1 vs. Gen 2 bbls, -they were the same. Have a great day.

Reactions: ajshoots
Thanks for the informative reply crsmnguy. I really do like the gun but it needs to be accurate! I have tried many different pellets and it likes JSB 18 and Barracuda's best. I have tried velocity's from 650 fps to 1000 fps with no improvement. Have tried all the tricks and tests I could find. Its just a bad barrel. I think I will try ordering a replacement barrel.

"snakedoctor9"Someone recently posted pictures of there .22 barrel on a marauder or a disco and it had to be worked over and shortened a bit to get rid of a bad spot at the muzzle.
Old post I know, but I had to do this to a .22 Discovery.

Groups were ok, but had fliers- unpredictable groups. I checked the barrel with a scope at work, and found a missing/short land right at the muzzle. I cut the barrel down .200" or so, and it shoots amazingly well now.

binfordw I have heard of that issue. Mine has the to wide in the middle issue. When I push a pellet down the barrel it is tight at the lead then 3-4 inches in it gets loose for about 8 inches then tightens up at the choke. It is so loose that I can tilt the barrel and it will slide just from gravity. Anyway this discussion has me ready to solve this. I'm going to order a new one Tuesday.

Ajshoots – I second that.
30cal – I have the same issue with my barrel and have lost interest in shooting the rifle as well.

crsmnguy - I appreciate you making a reply here on the forum - but with all due respect, until you personally experience one these unruly rifles you have no idea of the frustration one experiences attempting to get a rifle they have come out of pocket nearly a $1000 including scope and can't consistently get it to group.

After going thru a list of pellets to find one that gives a reasonable group…
Crossman Premier 14.3gr
Crosman Pointed Premiums 18.2gr
Crossman Diablo (Benjerman/Sheridan) 14.3gr
Beeman FTS 14.8gr
Beeman Kodiak 21.1gr 
Beeman Crow Magnum Hollow Point 18.2gr
H&N DIABOLO BARACUDA - HEAVY, 21.14gr
Airguns of Arizona Diablo 16.4gr
JSB Exact Jumbo Express 14.6gr
JSB Exact Jumbo Express Heavy 18.2
grAir Arms Field Diablo Heavy 18.4gr
H&N FTS Copper 14.6gr
H&N Field Target 16.4gr

…Then run the good ones thru a series of strings over a chronograph from 3000 psi to 1800 psi to graph the shot string and find where they group the best – thinking you have solved it only to find the next day the groups at 20 yards have moved from dead center to high left and 1 ½ inches - re-zero - then next day right and low an inch - then back to center was extremely frustrating.

I have been on the forums and read all the suggestion’s – tried many of them – the shroud tight/loose, the barrel bands, the baffle clipping, the springs, the o-rings, the polishing, you have to store the rifle vertical, NO horizontal, don’t lean it up against the barrel – blaw blaw blaw. And after 2 years of messin’ around to come to the conclusion that a new barrel is necessary and the thought of having to do this all over again makes me think I might be more successful herding a dozen kittens into a box.

I will say that when I contacted Crosman and my rifle was “out of warranty” over 1 year they sent me a new barrel. I don’t know if I received the old stock or the newer, latest and greatest barrel and I am wondering if I am going to go thru this entire process again and wind up with the same outcome. I like the idea that Crosman is a US company and I like supporting US companies I also like tinkering but I also like shooting with equipment that requires my skills to place the round on target. Because I have not, yet, gotten that from my .22 cal Marauder Rifle or the .22 cal Marauder Pistol I looked to other platforms that I thought would – out of the box and they are a joy to shoot.

My opinion - if you are looking for a project or “kit rifle” the .22 cal Marauder might be a good choice. It’s a good looking rifle, has a good weight and balance, has nice features, is easy to work on, parts are available, .22 cal pellets are reasonably priced and hard hitting and Crosman has really good customer service. If you don’t like tinkering too much, you might stay with the .177 or .25 Marauder. If you are looking to put one hole groups at 20 yards all day long – out of the box I would consider looking at something like a Weihrauch, FX, or Beeman. These I can recommend from personal experience and I think they are worth the extra expense.

Shoot Straight - KZ

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time with your 22 Mrod. Could it be something wrong with the valve? Perhaps some rough machining or sticking that might cause inconsistent metering of air? Maybe some garbage in the valve or a bad hammer spring or whatever with the valve. Is there someone who could loan you a valve from a good shooting 22 for you to just check. Also check or replace the little oring that seals the breach. Just thinking what could be the problem.