Front carbon fiber bottle gun owners-how tight does the bottle need to be?

Can't find anything on the Internet. I have a gun with a 480cc front carbon fiber bottle. I went to remove it to de gas the gun. It was incredibly tight. I lowered the reg and when I put the bottle back on, the gun leaked, no matter how much I tightened it. After multiple tries, I looked at the part the bottle screws on to. The dowty seal (aka bonding washer( was ripped.

IMG_0736.1614624934.JPG

The dealer is sending me a new seal. I was told the bottle needs to be on that tight. If so, it seems that every time you remove/reinstall the bottle you will have this problem. Can anyone confirm or deny this information?

Nah man bonded seal should not get rekt like that due tightening. The whole idea of it is that you can actually tighten it pretty solid. Iv putten together alot of hydraulic quick connectors with bonded seals between that and hose fitting and they can even take beating from pneumatic impact wrench. Only reason something like that would happen = wrong size, super sharp threads or age of it combined with pressure. 

I can rule out old age, the gun is brand new, last Thursday I had it a week, but have not fired it yet. I do realize some rubber products can be defective (my wife sells o rings) and have flash. That bottle was on so tight it took my wife holding the gun while I twisted on the bottle using a thin rubber jar lid grip. I do know that once that thin rubber gets jammed in the threads, it can be extremely difficult to unscrew.

When I get the new seal, I plan to very lightly grease the rubber face of the seal where it meets the bottle before tightening. Of course, grease can attract dust, and I live in the desert, so I plan to put a wrap of electrical tape over the seam of the bottle valve with the two spanner wrench holes, and the hex on the gun to keep dust out. Does that sound right?

Hand tight, just snug. Turn until it stops then just a little nudge. Use light coating of silicon grease on the rubber. The metal part of the dowty seal should be metal to metal touching, and the oring does the sealing between the two. Sometimes called a "captured o-ring". Buy some 1/8" dowty seals to have some spares. They are used for many things on many airguns. Good to have spares … FYI, no way the bottle screwed on that far crooked and ruined the seal.

I can rule out old age, the gun is brand new, last Thursday I had it a week, but have not fired it yet. I do realize some rubber products can be defective (my wife sells o rings) and have flash. That bottle was on so tight it took my wife holding the gun while I twisted on the bottle using a thin rubber jar lid grip. I do know that once that thin rubber gets jammed in the threads, it can be extremely difficult to unscrew.

When I get the new seal, I plan to very lightly grease the rubber face of the seal where it meets the bottle before tightening. Of course, grease can attract dust, and I live in the desert, so I plan to put a wrap of electrical tape over the seam of the bottle valve with the two spanner wrench holes, and the hex on the gun to keep dust out. Does that sound right?

Be careful of what type of greese you use. 

No need to tighten bottle so tight with a o-ring washer like that. The metal around the o-ring actually stops you from squishing out the o-ring and possibly deforming it. Tight enough so the bottle does not back off by itself. Wrist tight to allow you to re-use the o-ring multiple times and change bottles as necessary without using tools.

Its no wonder why we see threads on those things so jacked up all the time here, I think its from people overly tightening the bottles.

Just installed a Altaros regulator on my Kratos, the tank was removed twice, hand tightened and then removed twice, on each removal it was then backed off about 3/4 inch to time the fill port and gauge, each time, it sealed first fill . I shot three magazines 4 days ago, then daily check the air pressure, it has remained the same pressure.

Stay safe,

Roachcreek

I did read the OM, but there was nothing in it. I got the replacement dowty seal from the dealer today, installed it, and it does not seem to be leaking. I went hand tight until it stopped, and gave a little snug, maybe 1/16 of a turn of the bottle. FWIW, I don't think the dealer is the problem, it's likely the manufacturer, because another member here has the same problem with the same gun, but he got his gun from a different dealer. Either they had a bad batch of seals or they over cranked it. Based on how tight it was on when I removed it, I would say they over tightened it.