• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

From which point do you range your targets?

Good question. I am a beginner and asked DeadeyeNC about this on another forum. He competes and he replied:
“I can't seem to find it stated in the AAFTA guidelines, but match directors set up targets measured from the lane markers at each shooting lane. Typically there are two lane markers at each lane. Your muzzle must be beyond the markers, your trigger must be behind the lane markers.“
So I assume the distances for competition targets are from somewhere around the scope, maybe the front would be good? Hunters can do whatever they wish since ranging beforehand and ranging to the animal would be done the same way, giving the same results. But so would ranging to targets in competition, however the minimum and maximum allowed distances to targets as described above are an additional help for shooters.
Maybe someone more experienced will chime in with better information.

I think I understand the question. Your asking if you measure the distance from the target to the scope, muzzle, or shooter?

I honestly never thought about this, I never really had to shoot that exact. But if I did think about this I would say it would logically make sense to measure from the scope. The scope is what you adjust when zeroing. Also when adjusting for wind and drop you change the scope.

I could be completely off on this. But to me it makes sense.

I range a target from the point of the rear of the scope at the point thats basically the same as where my eye relief would put my head. I dont always get the exact same spot but within 6 inches or so. On my longest rifle which is a panthera that puts the range finder at almost exactly 36" from the muzzle. On my impact or crowns its only a couple feet from the muzzle. Its never been an issue. the biggest issue is getting a bad range on a small target at 100+ yds from hitting just in front or just behind the target when ranging. This is in a hunting/ pesting scenario not in a comp setting with rules.

Not being a target shooter or enthusiastic about bench shooting, what difference would it make?
Serious question here not trying to be cynical or condescending.
Depends on velocity and projectile.

using my ballistic app using my .22 impact slug gun as an example the difference between 100 yds and 101 yds is .199. Less than a quarter inch with that rifle.

My crown .25 with 33.9 JSB has a difference of .270 between 100 yds and 101 yds. Just over a quarter inch with that rifle and pellets.

Depends on velocity and projectile.

using my ballistic app using my .22 impact slug gun as an example the difference between 100 yds and 101 yds is .199. Less than a quarter inch with that rifle.

My crown .25 with 33.9 JSB has a difference of .270 between 100 yds and 101 yds. Just over a quarter inch with that rifle and pellets.
looks like with that data, line of sight would be the logical answer or whatever you're using to determine distance.

The official distance is from the turrets of the scope or from the red dot or from the rear sight on open sights but it is not always used like that. In bench rest where the table and target position is fixed they mostly use the front of the table but many times they use the middle the table. There is no hard and fast rules that counts for every discipline. Sometimes there is a line over which you might not step with you feet, like with darts. I like to measure from the scope turrets.

I shoot in Field Target competition. Is accurate ranging important? Hell yeah. Because in US field target, these devious match directors sometime use teeny tiny 3/8" kill zone at 10 to 13 yards to challenge the shooters.

As post #2 stated there are rules about how close you can get to the line and which part of your body cannot cross the line.

In many international precision shooting competition it's the foot that cannot cross the line.

This is only regarding USA Field Target. The firing line is for two purpose.
1. It is a reference point for the match director to ensure targets are set legally between 10 yards to 55 yards.
2. For safety, we don't want shooters exposing (majority? of their) body parts beyond the firing line.

---
Here's the actual answer to you question (I think)

Whether in competition or hunting, does it matter where you range from ? As long as you are ranging consistently. Be it from the tip of the barrel, front of the scope, back of the scope. Choose a reference ranging point and stick with it (and know your pellet drop from that ranging position)

For example, in field target, I get into my shooting position (usually sitting down on a bum bag). Then I range. The only ranging instrument I'm allowed to use is my scope. I range complying with posting #2 (a majority of my body parts behind the firing line and my foot behind the firing line). Say the match director was really devious and set the 3/8" target at 13.8 yards from the firing line.

Am I going to range that target as 13.8 yards? No, for me it's always going to be longer than 13.8 yards.

Say I range it at 14.2 yards, I consult my pellet drop sheet and I shoot it at 14.2 yards. Officially, I've just shot a 13.8 yard target. Unofficially, because of my shooting position and my reference ranging point (to me), you could argue that I just shot a 14.2 yards target. 13.8 yards matters only to the record keepers and complying with the rules. 14.2 yards matters to you as a shooter (given the way you range, your pellet drop, how consistent you are positionally and optically ranging a target, assuming there are no issues with your rifle and scope )

So bottom line. Chose an arbitrary ranging reference point. Always use your ranging equipment in a consistent position. And know your pellet drop in relation to the "unique" way you range.

Last edited:
I range ( rarely ) with my friends range finder, and i measure from where my ass are.

If i was to shoot a 50 paper to share in here, it would be in EURO measurements and so i would actually be shooting longer than 50 yards.

It is a bit funny i cater to the imperial crowd when i think they should get on the Metric bandwagon and come in for the win.
But i use FPS and foot pound and really i should not be that silly.