• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Freshly designed .30 caliber Sabots for .22 / .25 cal. Slugs

Hi there everyone!

I got a request to design .30 caliber sabots for use with airguns, that can be 3D printed. So here they are:

Sabott_Description.1625259837.png
Sabotts_Bases.1625259837.png

As you can all see, the blue ones are for use with .25 / 6,35 mm slugs or even plain pellets and the red ones are for twenty-twos. And as I've already explained here in this topic;

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/i-designed-a-3d-model-of-a-30-caliber-pellet-a-tester-needed/?referrer=1

... I don't have a 3D printer or a .30 cal. rifle and therefore I cannot print and test these pellets myself, otherwise I would and I'd be glad to do so.

So, if there's anyone else interested in trying these out (I already know about someone on this forum who is), then let me know. A big thanks to anyone reading this in advance!

Have a good one now and stay well,

- Triglav

By the way, there's something that I completely forgot to mention... The printed sabots for the .25 caliber slugs must be evenly cut in a bit, in a roundly fashion by the flaps of the rings and by that I mean all around the bottoms of the flaps, which will get torn off by the air resistance in mid flight. I'm afraid, that without the minor cuts to the flaps' bottoms there will still be enough material rigidity and strength, that will prevent the sabots to open up properly in mid flight and let the slug fly solo onward. I have already "carved" the cuts into both of the models of the .22 cal bases (.22 only), because there was more space to do so on the .22 cal sabots - the distance from the inner diameter to the outer edges of the flaps was lesser than on the .25 cal sabots and therefore allowed for a 0,5 mm cut all around the flaps, at the bottom of them of course.

Untitled-1.1625397376.png

That's all folks!

Have you done any sabots for .25 to shoot .17?
In fact, I have. A friend of mine recently bought a Glock 17 GEN 5 schreckschuss replica and attached a self-gomm like adapter to it (since it's barrels' muzzle is threaded M8x1.0 ), with a .25 caliber bore. The guy wanted to try out some .25 cal. sabotts for .177 JSB Beast pellets, to see how they'd perform.
And so, I went on ahead and designed some, which another friend of his had then printed and made into physical ammution. From what he's described, the groups looked promising to say the least. I was especially intrigued to see how well they've been balanced by the un-grooved bore of the adapter, through which they've been fired and by the fact, that they've made a 2.5" group at 18yds by having been propelled by the expanding gases from a blank round.
Therefore, if flash powder cannot cause these things to tumble, then compressed air certainly will not.

Are you perhaps planning to go hunting with sabotts?