Free DIY Can Target for Field Target Practice

Hello once again, shooters!

OK, I have one more little trick that I would like to share that is a awesome airgunner way of recycling! You can drink some canned beverages the night before with the recyclable plastic can holder and have entertainment the next day honing your Field Target skills. Here are the supplies:
  • Empty six-pack with recyclable can holder
  • Piece of wood
  • Heavy scissors
  • 6 drywall screws
  • Drill

Take the scissors and cut the can holders off:
20220627_104412.jpg

Screw the can holders to the piece of wood as shown:
20220627_104702.jpg

20220627_104741.jpg

20220627_105021.jpg

Finally, attach the cans to the holders so that there are interesting parts of the cans facing the shooter. Note that you are shooting two on the end, so this is a nice 2" center target. Note also, the Red Nose on the can on top, and the nose and eye of the Laughing Lab facing out.
20220627_105208.jpg

This is a way of taking "plinking" to the next level, so I hope that you all enjoy this little trick.

Hello once again, Everyone.

Well, it turns out that this field target "rack" is one of my favorite targets on my range. I shoot almost daily, at least a little bit. I have 14 cans that I regularly tear up at 40-80 yards, and I keep this rack at 50 yards. I replace the cans once a week, so I'll typically try to shoot one off the rack each day, and then shoot it around the yard once I get it off. Well, this isn't as easy as it sounds as those plastic holders hang on pretty tight. It will often take me 7 or more shots to "free" one from the rack, and often I will end up "perforating" the can near the holder end trying to blow it off of there.

Anyway, the two in the front facing me are the first two I pick on, and I have had to replace the holders at least three times so far on those because I keep seriously tearing them up. The other four are still holding on.

20221023_174920.jpg

Again, I most often shoot this standing from a door, so this will (hopefully) explain the variance around the targets.

In summary, I would highly recommend that you make one of these. They are really fun!!

Reactions: tibor
That must be an Out West thing cause I've never seen can holders like that in Ohio!
I want some!
Like around 10 or 20. Could have a whole forest of cans set up then!
Neighbors would just say "That danged Village Idiot is at it again!"
:ROFLMAO:
Yea, these things are awesome! I am a beer nerd to the highest order, so I only look in the craft beer section. I know for a fact that they are all over the place in Texas. I live in Colorado where they are also about 15% or so of beer holders. It may have to do with "tubing" as both of these states are big on tubing. I know that Ohio doesn't have "state run" beer stores, so dig deeper in a store that rates really high on BeerAdvocate.com or similar reviewing site, and I'll bet you will find some in your area (y). It would be fun to try a beer based solely on the can holder. Good luck finding them! They make for a great time!

Cheers!

Jonathan

Yea, these things are awesome! I am a beer nerd to the highest order, so I only look in the craft beer section. I know for a fact that they are all over the place in Texas. I live in Colorado where they are also about 15% or so of beer holders. It may have to do with "tubing" as both of these states are big on tubing. I know that Ohio doesn't have "state run" beer stores, so dig deeper in a store that rates really high on BeerAdvocate.com or similar reviewing site, and I'll bet you will find some in your area (y). It would be fun to try a beer based solely on the can holder. Good luck finding them! They make for a great time!

Cheers!

Jonathan
Nothing like those in the State of WA. as well. We just use the whole can.

Nothing like those in the State of WA. as well. We just use the whole can.
I've traveled quite a bit and have seen them all over, but I don't recall ever seeing them in "state run" beer stores where the selection always sucks anyway. I know that WA has a huge craft beer industry as a lot of US hops come from the Yakima Valley there. I'd be willing to be money that if you looked in a highly rated craft beer store you would be able to find them. Here in Colorado it is only a little better than one of 10 breweries that use them...and I am thankful for them!

Good luck finding these awesome little gems!

I just looked at a small stack of these can holders that I had saved on top of my refrigerator that had a few different colors from different breweries, and they are all manufactured by a company called PakTech. They are based out of the North-East corner of Oregon (Portland/Salem), so they are only down the street from @airmagic1951. Still may be a problem for @Privateer in Ohio...we'll see. I hope that this helps my fellow shooting enthusiasts track these can holders down.

Been shooting those for a while. Never thought to separate them and put a can back in.
As an added bonus, you can put a full can back in too, and hang them from a tree. Here is an example with some stuff blowing up (Bonus!):

Wile E Coyote Super Genius out of the box thinking. (y)
Thanks! That was one of the "coolest" compliments I have been given 😎 I'm a LONG TIME fan of Looney Tunes!

Cheers!

Jonathan

That is a really neat idea. I too am a craft beer lover. My favorite craft brewery here in Alabama is Good People brewery in Birmingham and ALL their beer comes in those can holders.......so I'm gonna try that out (y)