Less than a year ago I bought and Alkin compressors. It is a great compressor. But now the college that teach at is building a new building for the trades and one of the programs that will be in the new building is structural fire fighting. They are installing a cascading (not sure exactly what that means) HPA system for their bottles. So know that I recently invested in a high quality compressor myself I have easy access to free air. Should I keep/sell my compressor? Any unforeseen disadvantages to relying on their air? Even though my compressor is very good certainly their system will be even better, meaning even drier air, right?

Reactions: RAMJET66
They'll probably be using a system in series of large compressed air cylinders in cascade configuration. It probably means that there won't be a compressor on grounds & some school "pencil pusher" will probably be keeping track of the cylinder air being used. I'd hang on to your personal compressor as using the school's air MIGHT be monitored (but what do I know? ) If they do get a compressor that's a different story.

Reactions: Skydivingmiami
While tempting, think I'd keep the Alkin unless I was really confident that access would always be there... one incident or management change could result in shutting it off to non-classroom activity.
When I started in PCP, was told that fire stations could fill my tank. Every one within driving distance refused, several of them laughing that someone would even ask.
Not apples to apples (you do work there), but would think really hard before getting rid of the Alkin.

Even though my compressor is very good certainly their system will be even better, meaning even drier air, right?
Not necessarily. Fire service air only needs to be Grade D. Your Alkin pumps Grade E. Grade D allows slightly more moisture than Grade E. The reason, SCUBA air (Grade E) needs to be drier because moisture in a SCUBA regulator in cold water can cause the regulator to freeze components of regulator resulting in a “free flow” which quickly depletes the air supply.
But, it would not surprise me if the compressor they buy might pump Grade E air. The only way to tell is to learn their driers design spec or check the analysis certificate from their periodic testing.
Grade D is probably OK for air rifles but less moisture is always better.
Similarly, Aviation Oxygen is drier than medical or industrial oxygen for the same reason, at altitude it’s very cold and risk of system failure can be catastrophic when components freeze from excess moisture.

Keep it!
As a firefighter, I had access to an endless air supply for quite some time. He’s beginning of this year, our air packs were upgraded to the new MSA packs with quick connect bottle fittings. This is different to the standard CGA347 fitting on our old bottles. Because of this, I can’t fill my bottles without a special adapter that needs to be put on and taken off every time I fill. Not a HUGE problem, but more cumbersome and time consuming. I opted to have a compressor at home to keep things easy.

Keep it!
As a firefighter, I had access to an endless air supply for quite some time. He’s beginning of this year, our air packs were upgraded to the new MSA packs with quick connect bottle fittings. This is different to the standard CGA347 fitting on our old bottles. Because of this, I can’t fill my bottles without a special adapter that needs to be put on and taken off every time I fill. Not a HUGE problem, but more cumbersome and time consuming. I opted to have a compressor at home to keep things easy.
Not to mention if you did sell, and everything MADEINTHEUK and others are saying about “what lies ahead”, that $3K to $3500 you paid for that Alkin awhile ago will certainly be closer to $4500 on the day you regret selling it and want to buy one again.

One of the things we all don’t know about is if you currently are using current or outdated tanks for personal use. If outdated, I don’t think you’ll be allowed to fill at your place of work, and I don’t need to explain the reasons why.

@Redtick12 If you’re not in a financial bind I suggest keeping your compresor. How will you fill your SCBA tanks over the summer or in the event there aren’t enough students interested or enrolled in that course to offer the course for a semester? How about weekends? What happens if you sell your compressor and need air on the weekend or over the holiday breaks? I’m thinking this may be a community college.

You’ve got a good and proven compressor. If the free air is the bees knees for you, then don’t forget to run your compressor periodically or prepare it for long-term storage. Then maybe when you decide to retire you can put it back to regular use.

Last edited:
Keep your compressor the closest place to fill your tank is the east side of "Medford", from what I found last year while visiting my cousin in Keno. Heck I'd pay you to fill mine if I ran out the next I'm down there. There is a lot of silver grays around that town as you probably know. Pack a pistol as my cousin showed me a picture of a cougar in his front yard drinking water from his hose at 10:30 in the morning. I have never heard of any Alkin owners complaining about bad air from their compressors since I've been on this site. Then again sell it and I'll be right down to buy it LOL.

Reactions: Skydivingmiami