• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Franken-Squirrel, some NSA slugs, and video!

Ran into a really interesting squirrel today for the first dispatch with the ATN 4k Pro scope setup. Thought he was just 3-legged but turns out he had a stub and also an attached but non-functional arm. First time I've run into that one!

Did put together a little 3 dispatch montage if you want to check it out. 2 with my DIY Smartphone scope cam then the last with the ATN. Loving the ATN so far, have some different risers coming so I can mount the ABL with a little more bell clearance. 

https://youtu.be/aLo-JGrACT8

inCollage_20201111_221115603.1605156049.jpg

Great shot and vid, that rifle hits hard...

Unfortunately I've seen that exact injury and others. All amazingly healed up, all handicapped but seemingly otherwise healthy. Possibly from years prior.

My bet, this was from a 'missed shot' leaving a wounded/deformed animal that has amazing healing abilities... Not saying it was from your missed shot, or a hunter/pester purposely leaving an animal to suffer. Sometimes as hard as we may try, the animal is no where to be found till it shows up limping healed up maybe fully or partially.

I'll admit this has happened to me. A couple years ago had the very rare miss. Was suppose to be a 45yard head shot, nutter jumped straight up then was gone nowhere to be found, no blood trail. Nutters are so squirrelly, moving quickly erratically its probably happened to some of us here also.

Well, about a month or 2 latter, saw this nutter limp up to the bait station on 3 legs. Watched him for a while. The same ball dragging large male with kinked tail. His front left leg all gimped up, a nub was left, all healed up. Amazingly he seemed fine with it, still fat and healthy other than a gimped front leg.

Thought ok better take him out of his misery and pop 1 to the head. But was watching him chase the females and feed like nothing was wrong. So thought ok, I missed and unfortunately caused pain and suffering, so decided to give him a permanent pass, no double jeopardy. I let him feed unfettered at the bait station. He still seems to be an alpha with a string of nutters following him to the bait station👍. He's still breeding and a big good looking specimen probably giving good dna to the local herd... He still comes around almost daily, reminds me of my bad shot and his suffering. This has probably made me more patient and crafty on bait station construction/location.

jmo

@acs, yeah, I figured it was an old injury. I just moved to this property a few months back and I have yet to not collect one I have dispatched (waiting for the day I have to track one into the woods though). 

I agree, pain/suffering is just cruel which is why I have my feeder setup in a very specific location and it keeps the nutters in that general area of my yard. The feeder is exactly at 25 yards from my lower basement door which puts the general pesting shot range in 20-35 yards for me. I keep my avenger zero'd at 25 yards due to this. Make sure I always have a supported shot and just count myself lucky so far that the dispatches have been clean up to this point (knock on wood!)