• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FPS Needed for .22 Slugs? Fortitude?

To be more clear it depends on your twist rate in your barrel. There are charts and graphs and possibly a calculater online that will tell you what speed and twist rate you need to stabilize a slug. Honestly the fortitude would probably not shoot slugs well. At least not well enough for the purpose they are designed for. Thier higher bc can only be utilized at longer ranges. I like shooting Nielsen slugs in my condor at 900 fps it took alot of messing around to figure what got me the best accuracy with the power wheel. I just don't see it being an advantage for you. However you should try it! Perhaps the fx hybrid slugs would be a good compromise? They are much lighter than slugs and they really expand well. I haven't shot them in a lower powered airgun so not sure but experiment with it! 

From what I have gathered from casual observance of the trend,... 900 fps plus. I have also surmised that twist rate may be even more important,... even if you can get that 900+.

Give it a try though. Many people seem find a slug that works,.... but for the most part,... I think the majority do not. The HN Grizzlies did not do as well as JSB pellets in my M-rod and Red Wolf (both.25).

To be more clear it depends on your twist rate in your barrel. There are charts and graphs and possibly a calculater online that will tell you what speed and twist rate you need to stabilize a slug. Honestly the fortitude would probably not shoot slugs well. At least not well enough for the purpose they are designed for. Thier higher bc can only be utilized at longer ranges. I like shooting Nielsen slugs in my condor at 900 fps it took alot of messing around to figure what got me the best accuracy with the power wheel. I just don't see it being an advantage for you. However you should try it! Perhaps the fx hybrid slugs would be a good compromise? They are much lighter than slugs and they really expand well. I haven't shot them in a lower powered airgun so not sure but experiment with it!

Where can I find the charts and graphs to stabilize a slug? All I can find is information on pellets or bullets.

I know I am resurrecting a dead thread, but has ANYONE actually TRIED using slugs in a Benjamin Fortitude?

Especially in .177 and a 10.5 grain slug.

All I can find is anecdotal quotes saying it will probably not work, but no posts where it was actually tried.

On another note, I am not interested in long range (which I know is the assumed promise of slugs), but I am interested in the possibility of improved accuracy/precision at the same ranges that .177 pellets are made for... that is out to about 60 yards and anything closer.

Thanks!

BackStop

Last edited:
I tried a number of different slugs in my .22 Fortitude G2. While I was able to get good groupings with the slugs, there was not enough improvement inaccuracy or distance to justify the added price over JSB pellets. The FX Hybrids worked best for my gun, but FX doesn't make their hybrids in .177.

I have a Kral Mega in .177 and have been testing slugs in that gun without success. I think the Kral's twist rate and choke don't work for slugs.

Each barrel is different, so you'll need to buy some slugs and test. I had bought a tester pack of .177 Neilson's Griffins from a guy on eBay, some JSB knockouts from Trainor. There are not many slugs in .177.

Good luck!

I tried a number of different slugs in my .22 Fortitude G2. While I was able to get good groupings with the slugs, there was not enough improvement inaccuracy or distance to justify the added price over JSB pellets. The FX Hybrids worked best for my gun, but FX doesn't make their hybrids in .177.

I have a Kral Mega in .177 and have been testing slugs in that gun without success. I think the Kral's twist rate and choke don't work for slugs.

Each barrel is different, so you'll need to buy some slugs and test. I had bought a tester pack of .177 Neilson's Griffins from a guy on eBay, some JSB knockouts from Trainor. There are not many slugs in .177.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! The main reason why I haven't tried slugs in my .177 Fortitude is the cost vs benefit ratio given that I am not looking for long range, just improved accuracy/precision.

Thanks again!

Kerry,

I personally don't have enough experience with slugs yet.
But Mike, builder of thomas airguns, and who competes against powder burners(!) in benchrest matches using one of his airguns has said this in a recent thread (I hope I don't misrepresent him here):

➔ Pellets are more precise than commerical slugs in off-the-shelf barrels. (He has tried them all....)
However, as one shoots at longer ranges the effects of wind on pellets gets so bad that slugs win against pellets. Not because they are more precise, but because they resist wind drift so much better.

So... — if you're looking at shooting at sub 50y ranges, pellets are your best friends. 😊

And they are also your wallet's best friends. 😄

Matthias

Kerry,

I personally don't have enough experience with slugs yet.
But Mike, builder of thomas airguns, and who competes against powder burners(!) in benchrest matches using one of his airguns has said this in a recent thread (I hope I don't misrepresent him here):

➔ Pellets are more precise than commerical slugs in off-the-shelf barrels. (He has tried them all....)
However, as one shoots at longer ranges the effects of wind on pellets gets so bad that slugs win against pellets. Not because they are more precise, but because they resist wind drift so much better.

So... — if you're looking at shooting at sub 50y ranges, pellets are your best friends. 😊

And they are also your wallet's best friends. 😄

Matthias
Thanks Matthias!

That is what I was already thinking anyway. Oh well, one "pipe dream" down, but without costing me a cent! (smile)