• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA FPE vs Caliber

It's an AEA HP SS .30. Can probably get a bit more power by making it bolt action but without a longer barrel, it's stuck around 40ish fpe. As far as accuracy goes, this little thing is wicked.

That's odd. I've owned 2 of those same guns (HP SS 30), still own one of them. They both shot 44.75 grain ammo over 700 fps at least for the first shots. I get about 53 fpe last I checked.

Are you sure your power wheel is set to max?

Between my HP SS 30 and a similar FPE Umarex Guantlet 2 .25 ... it seems like the 30 cal smacks the metal harder.

The question is simple. Would you rather hunt with a small light weight 40 fpe .30 or a larger heavier 49 fpe .25?
Only it wasn’t simple because we did not have this information:
20-30 yards is what I hunt spruce hens at.
The slower .30 cal would be my preference in that case. It should be a bit more forgiving of shot placement, but either one should hit like Thor’s hammer on a spruce hen.

Reactions: MWS
That's odd. I've owned 2 of those same guns (HP SS 30), still own one of them. They both shot 44.75 grain ammo over 700 fps at least for the first shots. I get about 53 fpe last I checked.

Are you sure your power wheel is set to max?

Between my HP SS 30 and a similar FPE Umarex Guantlet 2 .25 ... it seems like the 30 cal smacks the metal harder.
To tell the truth, I'm not 100% sure what the actual fpe is for mine. I don't have a chronograph. I'm going off the specifications posted at dealer websites for best guess.

This is the fps/fpe listed at a few sites. 670 fps/ 40 fpe. If yours is the plus version, then it has a longer barrel than mine.

They sell them saying they are modular and upgradeable but then refuse to sell parts to upgrade them. I have been trying to get a longer barrel for over a year but the dealers refuse to sell them.

I will show you the difference of HEU's among .30 Cal and .357 Cal with same fpe.

.357 Cal, 81.02 grain, 747 fps gives 100 fpe and 1693 HEU's.

.30 Cal, 44.7 grain, 1005 fps gives 100 fpe and 990 HEU's.

At some point more penetration do not cause more damage. Once the projectile got to the vitals, what is important is the mess caused getting there and not how fast it can pass through.

Reactions: dens228
@ 25 yards the .25 cal will have about 43 FPE of retained energy and about 7.7" wound depth.

@ 25 yards the .3 cal will have about 36 FPE of retained energy and a 5.6" wound depth

This is according to pyramidair's bullet effectiveness calculation, and retained energy calculation.

I don't see how a 40 fpe .30 cal here wins against a 49 fpe .25 cal, one should simply test this empirically with some penetrative testing on similar targets to what OP is aiming to shoot.

-Matt

Reactions: MWS
@ 25 yards the .25 cal will have about 43 FPE of retained energy and about 7.7" wound depth.

@ 25 yards the .3 cal will have about 36 FPE of retained energy and a 5.6" wound depth

This is according to pyramidair's bullet effectiveness calculation, and retained energy calculation.

I don't see how a 40 fpe .30 cal here wins against a 49 fpe .25 cal, one should simply test this empirically with some penetrative testing on similar targets to what OP is aiming to shoot.

-Matt
Gel IS NOT reflective of reality.

I have taken white tailed deer with both .30 Cal and .357 Cal with similar fpe.

The damage caused by .357 is much more significant. Super confirmed.

The chicken steel silhouettes at 220 yards made for high powered fire arms can be taken down with .357 air rifles, but not with .30. Once those silhouettes are hit with .30 Cal you hear the "Toing" but they do not go down.

Gel IS NOT reflective of reality.

I have taken white tailed deer with both .30 Cal and .357 Cal with similar fpe.

The damage cause by .357 is much more significant. Super confirmed.

The chicken steel silhouettes at 220 yards made for high powered fire arms can be taken down with .357 air rifles, but not with .30. Once those silhouettes are hit with .30 Cal you hear the "Toing" but they do not go down.

The above is not a calculation for GEL.

I said someone should do EMPIRICAL testing on targets SIMILAR TO WHAT OP IS SHOOTING.

Having a 20% difference in energy is NOT similar FPE.

And if you're trying to penetrate a hen's skull, than FPE wins hands down, although at 25 yards it's without a doubt either would do the job and the .3 cal may be preferred, stretched out further...definitely .25

The above is not a calculation for GEL.

I said someone should do EMPIRICAL testing on targets SIMILAR TO WHAT OP IS SHOOTING.

Having a 20% difference in energy is NOT similar FPE.

And if you're trying to penetrate a skull, than FPE wins hands down.
Maybe my FX Indy can be dialed down to such fps.... I will check.

Tell me what you want me to shoot at to make the test. Water mellon's?

Grape fuits, you tell me....

The original post does not state FPE vs Caliber @ 25 yards .30/40fpe .25/49fpe..that is only discussed much later. It's hard to give precise answers to vague questions that entirely depend on your shooting conditions.

The answer could go both ways really and for OP I would agree with some here that the .30 cal is deemed more lethal while still having a reasonable non-loopy trajectory. The original post should have been more clear much as @nervoustrig elucidated.

-Matt

Forget it.

All my .30 Cals are far above that power.

One thing to consider is if you're taking headshots at the hen, would the slower, less energy retaining .30 cal pellet potentially bounce off at a shot with poor placement/angle compared to a faster moving, more energy retaining .25 cal?

Also penetrating bone prior to hitting vitals is another concern, FPE helps make certain it will cut through the bone and continue on into a vital organ.

What if a coyote comes around in the same session you'd like to dispatch? I'd much rather try with the 49 FPE .25 cal than the 40 FPE .30.

Then add in wind drift on a 630~ fps pellet vs a 850~ fps pellet. It might not be A LOT but its something to consider. I think I'd take the .25 cal @ 49 fpe still in this case all day...but that's me.

-Matt

Reactions: MWS and Perle
One thing to consider is if you're taking headshots at the hen, would the slower, less energy retaining .30 cal pellet potentially bounce off at a shot with poor placement/angle compared to a faster moving, more energy retaining .25 cal?

Also penetrating bone prior to hitting vitals is another concern, FPE helps make certain it will cut through the bone and continue on into a vital organ.

What if a coyote comes around in the same session you'd like to dispatch? I'd much rather try with the 49 FPE .25 cal than the 40 FPE .30.

Then add in wind drift on a 630~ fps pellet vs a 850~ fps pellet. It might not be A LOT but its something to consider. I think I'd take the .25 cal @ 49 fpe still in this case all day...but that's me.

-Matt
I would not shot a coyote with either of those rifles.

You need more power for a humanly kill.

I would not shot a coyote with either of those rifles.

You need more power for a humanly kill.

I have no issue with 50 FPE .25 cal knocking down coyotes @ 25 yards with great shot placement. My 2c though, to each their own!

Discussed at great length here.

1698183138870.png

1698183135491.png

According to Chairgun

A .30 at 40fpe has 7.8 inches of penetration at the muzzle and 6.65 at 50yrds.
A .25 at 48fpe has 7.42 at the muzzle and 6.67 at 50.
45 and 34 gr

Interesting wonder why pyramid air's calculation is different, vastly different.

Again would love empirical testing / data on either of the calculations, till then I take both with a grain of salt, or 34 and 45 grains of salt :D