• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA FPE vs Caliber

Some key points to consider from here

• A wide wound causes a fast kill. Those who like to complain about meat damage should perhaps take a moment to think about this. (Pellet deformation is greater at higher velocity impact, softer lead deforms easier than harder)
  • At high impact velocities, the hunter can rely on hydraulic force to generate wide, disproportionate to expanded caliber wounds.
  • At high impact velocities, hydro static shock may also be evident. This can be encouraged, but it cannot be relied upon. Factors such as projectile weight, game weights, shot placement and nervous conditions (calm animal versus adrenalized animal) each influence the effect.
  • Hydraulic force diminishes as impact velocities are reduced (especially below 2200fps). If the projectile is too tough for the job at hand, wounds will be proportionate to the expanded caliber of the bullet and kills may be slow.
  • At lower impact velocities, the mechanical action of bullet mass and weight shedding can be used to regain disproportionate to caliber wounding.

Interesting wonder why pyramid air's calculation is different, vastly different.

Again would love empirical testing / data on either of the calculations, till then I take both with a grain of salt, or 34 and 45 grains of salt :D
Agree, we need less theoretical discussion and more factual demonstrations.

Reactions: Stubbers
There were a thread that said that a .177 Cal would be more lethal then .357 because having less surface of contact that allowed more penetration.

Of course we were silent respectful for such false theory.

We just requested to go and test his theory with Cape buffalo and a .177 powerful PCP.

He might have done so, because we have not heard anything on him for a while.

Last edited:
What is more important, FPE or larger caliber? I have a 30 caliber putting out 40 FPE. Also have a .25 caliber doing 49 FPE. Larger caliber creates wider wound channel but smaller caliber travels much faster and hits harder. I'm thinking the .25 would be better over all but I could be wrong.
My own experience has been the opposite of the smaller caliber hitting harder. I've got a .30 Hatsan 135 that puts out 30 fpe and an Air Arms S410E in .22 that puts out 32 fpe. So very similar power levels with the edge going to the Air Arms, but when shot side by side at various targets the Hatsan obviously hits harder. Whether it's hanging targets or cans filled with water that big slow .30 just seems to always hit noticeably harder.

So far as impact on game goes I don't know as I haven't ever hunted with the Hatsan, but my experience is that shot placement is 90% of stopping power. Which is also the reason I don't hunt with the Hatsan.

Reactions: MWS and Stubbers