• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FPE range for springer

I don't believe there is an official lower limit. There are upper limits of 12fpe for WFTF class and 20fpe for Hunter and Open class. 

You would just need enough power to: 1. trigger the paddle to knock down the target (I think that's around 4fpe, but others can confirm or correct that) and 2. have a flat enough trajectory to have a realistic chance of hitting the kill zone. 

What caliber is your springer?

Chas

John Farbrother who won the 2019 Pyramid Air Cup shoots his TX200 at 10.2 FPE - 740 FPS 8.4 grain JSB Exacts. Just as long as it is accurate, you can go down to 8 FPE. I had to shoot a springer with a broken spring at a two day shoot and did well. Adapt and overcome.

https://airgunwarriors.com/community/field-target/dcfs-delaware-county-field-stream-pa-state-match-aafta-grand-prix/#post-31287

My springers are usually hover around 10.5 - 11 FPE. I avoid going above 11.8 since you will sometimes go over 12 FPE. It's fine when shooting in the US. However, when you travel and attend a Worlds match you go over the limit, you are disqualified for that day of the match.

Ouch. I saw the picture of that spring. At least it wasn’t in a worse spot. 

I’m shooting .177. It was hovering around 10.5FPE until I installed a tighter spring guide and removed some spacers. I recently checked and I’m only at 8.2FPE. I shoot JSB exacts but I tested with CPLs to get the FPE figure. I’m going to do some more accuracy testing but I might bump the power back up a bit. 

I have seen FT shooters use a FWB300s and that's like really low power like 600-660fps depending on the gun all stock they vary in power shooting a 7.9gr pellet but I have used one of mine to effectively dispatch pest birds out to 55 yards with 65 yards being the farthest. My fastest unmodified FWB300s does close to 720fps but that's a real freak of nature. I would say 600-660 would be expected in proper working condition.

I would use one if I were younger and shoot in the Springer FT since its Super duper ridiculously crazy accurate even for a low powered airgun out to 55 yards. Easy to learn it's holdover too. It is genuinely effortlessly boring to shoot it under 25 yards. Just drills the EXACT SAME HOLE on paper all day long with almost NO COCKING EFFORT and a first rate true competition match trigger even by todays standards.

It gets frustrating when you are certain you hit the KZ and the target doesn't fall. 

Often for club matches the targets aren't checked to make sure they'll fall for sub 11-ish fpe because we/they aren't expecting low powered airguns being used. When the state match comes around they get calibrated but even then complaints that targets didn't fall happens, but sometimes a target will malfunction here and there.

So it's better to be right up there just below 12fpe.

I know some guys that attempted using their 300S, and the sort, on our courses, and a fair amount of the targets didn't fall.

I bought a TX200 MKI and it needed a new piston seal and spring. I managed to get a hold of a JM kit and I was able to use 3 spacers and get about 13 fpe but at that power my accuracy went to poop big time. If I remember correctly I was getting groups over 2 inches at 35 or 40 yards. Most springers are made to get about 12 fpe. It was suggested that the port was only largest enough to get 12 fpe. I know of a few guys that have new Walthers getting over 12 fpe with some accuracy but I would think that the amount of movement from a springer shooting much over 12fpe would make accuracy an issue.

Mark