Fox killed my chickens las night

Now I have to be a little bit careful here as I’m in the UK and in an urban situation. Has anyone any tips to baiting a fox onto their land? I know where they are denning, but it is not on my property. I want them dead and staked on an anthill. Those chickens were pets and friends as well as laying like belt fed mortars. My autistic son is distraught. The horrible little vermin only ate their heads.

Reactions: Contndr35BB
not familiar with fox diet, just about everything eats cat food though .. just set you up a night vision rig in a window overlooking the coop, with the crosshairs right on the bowl of food front and center ... most digital nv scopes will wirelessly stream the scopes view to your cell .. just kick back and wait for his as ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Allroundhunter
Thanks guys. I have a spare trail cam I will set up. Naively I thought a six foot solid fence would be sufficient. If I replace the crooks then I guess I’ll wire roof it too.
We had the ladies for nearly four years (Chickie and Diogenes). Fox will be meeting its maker.

IMG_1842.jpeg

@EncoreUneFois In my experience raising chickens, when dogs come into play they either dig into the coup or catch the birds free ranging outside of the hen-house or coup. I’ve lost entire flocks to dogs and have killed my fair share of them. Usually a dog will eat the chicken. I’ve had one bird dog kill my chickens and place them in a line in the yard without eating any parts of any of them. I caught her leaving and sent that bitch to hell (or wherever nuisance animals go). I’ve never seen a dog only eat the heads of birds.

To my understating, foxing is big in the UK and so is airgunning. Have you tried asking guys on one of the UK Airgun forums? I’d wager you’ll come across a whole lot more relative info there. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you catch what’s killing your ladies.

Last edited:
@EncoreUneFois I’m my experience raising chickens, when dogs come into play they either dig into the coup or catch the birds free ranging outside of the hen-house or coup. I’ve lost entire flocks to dogs and have killed my fair share of them. Usually a dog will eat the chicken. I’ve had one bird dog kill my chickens and place them in a line in the yard without eating any parts of any of them. I caught her leaving and sent that bitch to hell (or wherever nuisance animals go). I’ve never seen a dog only eat the heads of birds.

To my understating, foxing is big in the UK and so is airgunning. Have you tried asking guys on one of the UK Airgun forums? I’d wager you’ll come across a whole lot more relative info there. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you catch what’s killing your ladies.
I would agree, but the only earth route into the pen is undisturbed. I live in the centre of one of the most ancient cities in the UK. No cat or dog could have killed the ladies - but we have urban foxes. A family of them are living in the garden of a for-sale property on our street.
Day scope removed and NV re-fitted.

View attachment IMG_0058.jpeg

@EncoreUneFois For clarification, as far as I am concerned, a fox is a wild dog species. Although they behave differently in various ways, one of which are their hunting habits and methods, they are still in the family canidae with other dogs. I rarely see foxes here. I see way more coyotes and feral dogs. Please let us know when you figure out what's going on. I'm curious as to how the predator is reaching your chickens. Do you all have raccoons over there?

Last edited:
Reactions: gendoc
Thanks guys. I have a spare trail cam I will set up. Naively I thought a six foot solid fence would be sufficient. If I replace the crooks then I guess I’ll wire roof it too.
We had the ladies for nearly four years (Chickie and Diogenes). Fox will be meeting its maker.

View attachment 427881
This came to mind with the defeated fence.

IMG_2234.gif

Need to bait the critter and get an ID first. A trail cam or surveillance camera will help ID the foe. Reinforce the coup. Get some new chickens and explain the circle of life to your son. Losing pets suck. Sorry for the loss.
My coworker had a hawk grab one of her chickens and she let us know in a group text. She has a 4yo son who saw the carnage. I replied with this gif, and was called brutal. I grew up on a farm, raised my food, so life and death were part of early life. Now I work crime scene, and if you know crime scene people you know we are a unique breed.

IMG_1805.gif

Now I have to be a little bit careful here as I’m in the UK and in an urban situation. Has anyone any tips to baiting a fox onto their land? I know where they are denning, but it is not on my property. I want them dead and staked on an anthill. Those chickens were pets and friends as well as laying like belt fed mortars. My autistic son is distraught. The horrible little vermin only ate their heads.
I have to agree that it is probably either raptor or weasel . Fox / Coyotes eat or take all their kills . My Siste lost many hens this Summer from weasel , killed just like yours. THey now keep lights on all the time , no more problem . Good luck ,and sorry for your loss .