• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airforce found the tune!

ill try to keep this short...I still have more testing to do accuracy wise and what not, but here's the tune.

talon(P) shot string.png

sorry the fps numbers are a bit hard to read, I did the chart on my phone and didn't realize my phone was in dark mode. I have spent so much time working on this gun to get a tune what would work and met my expectations on both shot count, and FPE, and here it is. the long and short of it is I have 2 O-Rings under my top-hat (the top-hat is adjusted to the optimal position relative to the bolt) with the power wheel set to 12 in the slot and 1 on the wheel. I have tried a ton of O-Ring combinations and until today non of them have worked out very well. I was working on a JSB hades tune when I decided to give the 25.39 gr pellets a try, I should mention this is a 22 caliber Airgorce TalonP with an 18inch barrel. the hades tune was about 28 FPE but the velocity was all over the place, I may end up picking up the top-hat kit if I want to tune for lighter pellets like the hades, but this tune right here...my goal is 50 yards and in, with the occasional 100 target plinking, and I think this tune will make that happen.

if any of y'all have any questions about how I did this, feel free to message me. I will share all the info I have accumulated over the past few weeks of working on this gun.

Oh boy, if I had one of those guns, I'd find the most inefficient (read: powerful) tune, and refill it every 5 shots or so 🤣 props on going the efficient route.
I started off on the higher end, about 48-50 FPE in 22, I think I got about 16 shots or so on the small bottle but the spread made slug accuracy way to inconsistent, one group would be half inch at 50 and the next would be 1 inch at 50. I might end up going back to high power but no time soon with these results :)

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Tyler, I'm very impressed by your shot string, ~30fps spread over 30 shots (you might try 50psi higher starting pressure), is better than I saw on my stock Condor. And if you enjoyed tuning for that, I think you'll really enjoy a "Ring-loc" top hat orifice kit. MikeinPasadena has one NIB for $45 in the Classifieds, or Pyramyd has them for a couple bucks more. I tried one and two o-rings on my Condor, but they didn't do nearly as much as changing that top hat orifice. I bet you'll find that a smaller orifice (my money would be on the 0.145") and a little more hammer preload (dialed higher on the power wheel), will be even more efficient and consistent at that power level. You then also might find that with the smaller orifice, turning the power wheel will now allow you to adjust the power better, to fine tune it to a specific power level, and to flatten the edges of your power curve a little (more preload at the start and end, less in the middle). I still use one o-ring as it reduces the variation in velocity on my particular gun.
Have fun!
Mike

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Tyler, I'm very impressed by your shot string, ~30fps spread over 30 shots (you might try 50psi higher starting pressure), is better than I saw on my stock Condor. And if you enjoyed tuning for that, I think you'll really enjoy a "Ring-loc" top hat orifice kit. MikeinPasadena has one NIB for $45 in the Classifieds, or Pyramyd has them for a couple bucks more. I tried one and two o-rings on my Condor, but they didn't do nearly as much as changing that top hat orifice. I bet you'll find that a smaller orifice (my money would be on the 0.145") and a little more hammer preload (dialed higher on the power wheel), will be even more efficient and consistent at that power level. You then also might find that with the smaller orifice, turning the power wheel will now allow you to adjust the power better, to fine tune it to a specific power level, and to flatten the edges of your power curve a little (more preload at the start and end, less in the middle). I still use one o-ring as it reduces the variation in velocity on my particular gun.
Have fun!
Mike
I have been looking at those orifice kits, ill probably end up picking one up this week or next