foster female fitting popped and poooooffffff

Don't know the reason but there are actually two o-rings down inside of many or the Chinese female foster fittings to both seal and put pressure on the male fitting. There is usually quite a bit of brass filing down inside of there as well. You might want to clean them out before you put the new o-rings in place to make it function again. Pic shows the o-ring I pulled out and the one that remains.

I replace the Chinese foster fittings with American made on anything I will be connecting and disconnecting very often. That will stop you from having that problem again.

Last time that happened to me I took a Foster QD female (on the end of a fill whip) right between the eyes. Still have the scar.

Sounds like it just wasn't completely locked onto the male fill adapter. How long has it been since you put some silicone lube on the internal o-ring?

O-ring goes kind of deep into the female QD, as shown in the photo below. It should be pretty easy to get back into place, and should work if lubricated and not damaged from the incident.

IMG_1891.1624936580.JPG

Don't know the reason but there are actually two o-rings down inside of many or the Chinese female foster fittings to both seal and put pressure on the male fitting. There is usually quite a bit of brass filing down inside of there as well. You might want to clean them out before you put the new o-rings in place to make it function again. Pic shows the o-ring I pulled out and the one that remains.

I replace the Chinese foster fittings with American made on anything I will be connecting and disconnecting very often. That will stop you from having that problem again.

What size & Durometer? Do all take two or just cheap ones? I've seen those detent balls popped out of some

The standard O-ring size for a female Foster fitting is a -010. Even the Chinese-made ones seem to use a -010 rather than a metric…at least that has been the case with several different examples I’ve worked with. 

Polyurethane in 70 durometer is my preference in terms of durability but I’ve used Buna-N as well that have lasted for years of regular use.

Common mistake most that have used QD for a while, have made.

Got to really CLICK it in place perfectly. A well lubed fitting/orings allows for easier full seating of the QD and keeps the pop offs to a minimum. I don't use silicone lube on QD's, use a drop or 2 of synthetic Alphabet org. I always click it in as good as possible then grab the fitting and try to pull it apart...

Thats why whip leashes are recommended, as incidents like TMH explained above are not uncommon...

jmo

agreed, make sure it clicked all the way .. on some of the cheaper fittings they fit pretty tight and it wont positively click without alot of effort .. personally, i spent quite some time with a piece of 600 grit paper on the male fitting of 'every' connection i use that was even alittle tight ... chucking the fitting in a drill helps if its easily removed ..

Pfatter,

Good post! We all have similar experiences, in time, and never is a comfortable moment. I agree with prior posts, most likely odds are you failed to connect properly, though at the time it felt as you did! I am also more comfortable with the purchasing of 5,000 psi American made fittings over China made, my opinion, my experiences. 

Often I have found myself uncomfortable having my face over the high pressure fittings when using the scba tank to fill my rifles and often fine myself using a pillow or folded blanket over the fill hose

Your post caused me to Google high pressure retainers and I came up with these (may interest many who choose to read this post or fill free to open another post regarding the following url.

Cheers, be safe

https://capitalrubber.com/hose-safety-whip-checks/

Reactions: pfatter
Common mistake most that have used QD for a while, have made.

Got to really CLICK it in place perfectly. A well lubed fitting/orings allows for easier full seating of the QD and keeps the pop offs to a minimum. I don't use silicone lube on QD's, use a drop or 2 of synthetic Alphabet org. I always click it in as good as possible then grab the fitting and try to pull it apart...

Thats why whip leashes are recommended, as incidents like TMH explained above are not uncommon...

jmo

where can I get a whip leash from? I guess I inserted the oring again and it worked fine, but I was NOT comfortable just incase it pops. worked good this time. 

Pfatter,

Good post! We all have similar experiences, in time, and never is a comfortable moment. I agree with prior posts, most likely odds are you failed to connect properly, though at the time it felt as you did! I am also more comfortable with the purchasing of 5,000 psi American made fittings over China made, my opinion, my experiences. 

Often I have found myself uncomfortable having my face over the high pressure fittings when using the scba tank to fill my rifles and often fine myself using a pillow or folded blanket over the fill hose

Your post caused me to Google high pressure retainers and I came up with these (may interest many who choose to read this post or fill free to open another post regarding the following url.

Cheers, be safe

https://capitalrubber.com/hose-safety-whip-checks/

hey thanks, I missed this post!!!! thanks so much for the help!!