• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Foster adapter

I bought a male foster adapter to go with my new gun. It came with a small nylon cylinder that I suspect is to be inserted into the female end of the adapter before I tighten the fill probe to my gun to the male adapter. Is this correct? Do I need to wrap the threads in plumbing tape (I know some have said that’s not the right way)?

1596832023_7045596425f2db917286256.61165153.jpeg

That is the seal that goes between your fill probe and the male foster adaptor. The threads themselves do not create the seal between the two pieces. It takes much less torque than you might think to get a good seal. From your photo, it looks like you have straight threads rather than pipe threads, which are tapered. The tapered threads are the type that seal themselves. I would not use the teflon tape. Let us know if that works or not. Lots of help available here.

James

I'm not sure that that combination will seal properly because of the reverse cone shape of the probe. A better solution would be a bonded Dowty washer (look it up). It is worth a try though. The most important advice is don't overtighten it. Snug it up about 1/2 a turn from finger tight and if it still leaks go 1/4 of a turn more and repeat if necessary until the leak stops. If you overtighten it, you run the risk of blocking the line as well as it leaking. You can try tape but don't use both because with tape it will need to be tight to seal properly. As mentioned above, tape is only recommended for tapered threads.

Hmmm. What I posted is a "Bonded Dowty Seal." I guess I'm not familiar with a Dowty "washer." 

I've had good luck with these so far, but to be fair the only reason I initially went down that road because that's what AoA sold me the first time out. That was for a fitting like the one above for my HW44. Later I had to make some 90 degree elbows to fill the Bushbuck when the DonnyFL is on there. Just not quite enough space to get that Foster between the gun and the suppressor. I was told not to bother taping the threads as that's not where it seals. Maybe I just got lucky though. I've never tried the nylon fitting like shown above. 

Hmmm. What I posted is a "Bonded Dowty Seal." I guess I'm not familiar with a Dowty "washer." 

I've had good luck with these so far, but to be fair the only reason I initially went down that road because that's what AoA sold me the first time out. That was for a fitting like the one above for my HW44. Later I had to make some 90 degree elbows to fill the Bushbuck when the DonnyFL is on there. Just not quite enough space to get that Foster between the gun and the suppressor. I was told not to bother taping the threads as that's not where it seals. Maybe I just got lucky though. I've never tried the nylon fitting like shown above.

I was replying to the op's original question. What I was referring to is the same thing as in your post. You must have been typing at the same time as me. I just received an assortment of them from AliExpress. $10 for a hundred. The problem at the moment is they take about 7 weeks to arrive but if you need one in a hurry you can probably get them at a hydraulic fitting supplier. This is the supplier that I got mine from. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32877796429.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2b614c4deuiLNl

So the nylon fastener came with the male adapter. Obviously the probe came with the gun. I would hope they would all work together, but I won't know until I finally get the tank filled. I was thinking if I over tightened it then it would close the hole in the nylon washer. Hopefully this will work as I don't want to wait another week for additional parts and washers.

This whole process has been a 6 week frustrating adventure and it's still not done yet.