Forming a localized airgun group?

Greetings folks!

OK, so I'm still pretty new to airguns. I'm in southwest Missouri but unfortunately there's not much interest in airguns round here. I'm a social bug, so I enjoy things a lot more with others who share the same interest. Recently had a forum member contact me who lived nearby and we met up to do a squirrel hunt. Didn't see anything on the hunt, but still enjoyed meeting another airgunner. Had a great time. We talked about possibly trying to have a squirrel competition this fall. 

My question, has anyone here tried to form a local group from scratch? What methods did you use to get the word out? No airgun shops in the area. Perhaps a Facebook group? Just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

Well .... as one of the co founders of the Sacramento Valley Field Target Club let me make a few suggestions.

JUST DO IT .... find a like minded shooter, you pick up another etc etc by word of mouth and sharing what your doing on the AG web forums, social media or what ever miens you can.

You will seldom get interest if you actually DON'T have a venue or event to offer. If your actually doing it the word will get out and your efforts should see results in time.

Don't get discouraged, if you like shooting air guns and wish to do so with others, STAY VIGILANT and like the "Cliche" states .... Build It and they will come !

As we built our club new folks would inquire " What the clubs membership fee ? " ..... In which we responded, you could purchase a Field Target or 2 and donate them to the club & no yearly club fee will be charged. Help where you can in our monthly match set up / tear down as a group effort and every one stays happy. We kept this up until such time as we had enough targets and over time buy or have older targets replacing the worn out ones. These days we have near 50 targets, many betters ones than we started with too !

We do charge a minimal fee at each event to cover range fees, food if provided etc. There is a slight profit that gets reinvested into the club. In this manor to this day ( Now 9 years ) we still charge No club membership fee and have one of this countries largest and most participated FT clubs.

In this way you acquire targets or supplies with a minimal outlay of cash. Club grows your target inventory grows too. Venues / activity potentials improve as more folks offer alternative places to shoot etc ...

We in the SVFTC wish you all the best and hope you can find growth & interest that eludes you presently.

Scott S

SVFTC Match Director

Well .... as one of the co founders of the Sacramento Valley Field Target Club let me make a few suggestions.

JUST DO IT .... find a like minded shooter, you pick up another etc etc by word of mouth and sharing what your doing on the AG web forums, social media or what ever miens you can.

You will seldom get interest if you actually DON'T have a venue or event to offer. If your actually doing it the word will get out and your efforts should see results in time.

Don't get discouraged, if you like shooting air guns and wish to do so with others, STAY VIGILANT and like the "Cliche" states .... Build It and they will come !

As we built our club new folks would inquire " What the clubs membership fee ? " ..... In which we responded, you could purchase a Field Target or 2 and donate them to the club & no yearly club fee will be charged. Help where you can in our monthly match set up / tear down as a group effort and every one stays happy. We kept this up until such time as we had enough targets and over time buy or have older targets replacing the worn out ones. These days we have near 50 targets, many betters ones than we started with too !

We do charge a minimal fee at each event to cover range fees, food if provided etc. There is a slight profit that gets reinvested into the club. In this manor to this day ( Now 9 years ) we still charge No club membership fee and have one of this countries largest and most participated FT clubs.

In this way you acquire targets or supplies with a minimal outlay of cash. Club grows your target inventory grows too. Venues / activity potentials improve as more folks offer alternative places to shoot etc ...

We in the SVFTC wish you all the best and hope you can find growth & interest that eludes you presently.

Scott S

SVFTC Match Director
Hi Scott
A few of us in my area want to take your advice and start the process of forming a HFT club. Might sound like a real new B question but we can’t seem to find any field targets to purchase except the Gamo squirrel and the rat on the run. Any suggestions where else to look? I guess we could keep chipping in and buying the same Gamo squirrel target but we just would like to have a little diversity for the heck of it. Would appreciate any input you could provide thanks a lot .
Robert

Sadly as the years come and go, nitch products such as Field target manufacturers have come and gone even these last 10 years.

ALL of our GAMO targets we started with were DOUBLE face plates Tac welded together and doublers added to strike paddles. *we still have over a dozen of these still in use to this day !! Target Art closed its doors sadly tho RHYNO is still around best I know, we have @ 10 of them in use.

I've not stayed current on who is still manufacturing FT's ... we have plenty now that work well and seem to be holding up under the beating !!

Last edited:
Gordon.........Follow Scott's advice. Word of mouth, friends, friends of friends, etc. Once things get rolling, networking will make it grow! Best of luck!

HoldenOver,

Besides the 2 you mentioned, you can get either some quality field targets and/or different face plates for the Gamo and AV targets here: https://www.paulscustomtargets.com/

Another option is some targets from across the "pond" here: http://www.flop-over.co.uk/competition-targets.html

Yet another option for some different Gamo face plates can be found here: https://www.qualitytargets.com/gamo-face-plates/

Also, check out these 2 links to see if there is a club near you that you can attend to get some ideas!
Northeast: http://www.bcsportsmen.org/ft/Minutemen.htm
Nationwide: http://www.aafta.org/member-clubs.html

Greg

Greetings folks!

OK, so I'm still pretty new to airguns. I'm in southwest Missouri but unfortunately there's not much interest in airguns round here. I'm a social bug, so I enjoy things a lot more with others who share the same interest. Recently had a forum member contact me who lived nearby and we met up to do a squirrel hunt. Didn't see anything on the hunt, but still enjoyed meeting another airgunner. Had a great time. We talked about possibly trying to have a squirrel competition this fall.

My question, has anyone here tried to form a local group from scratch? What methods did you use to get the word out? No airgun shops in the area. Perhaps a Facebook group? Just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks
if your near Springfield MO that's only 7 hours from my house , not too far by my standards

Scott S

SVFTC Match Director
Great advice! Thanks for sharing!