Formerly PCP only now really into springers

Started with springers. Switched to PCPs for about ten years. Now, back to springers again. So much more fun and challenging. I found the shooting experience with PCPs to be somewhat "sterile" It's almost impossible to miss with a good PCP. Springers have personalities and they hold my interest more than a PCP will. A good springer shooter will be a good PCP shooter but it doesn't necessarily work the other way around...

my high end PCP's just sit in the safe mostly, unless i feel guilty , then ill shoot a few pellets and put them away . Usually i top them off on the same day then shoot a few and they sit for a few months , shoot again , sit. i top them off maybe 3 times a year .
This sounds a lot like me. I too have a couple of high end pcps that I shoot in our monthly FT matches only because no one else shoots a springer in competition here. My daily shooting at home is springers only! There’s something about the cock, load, sight and shoot sequence that i find both challenging and satisfying. UJ

In FT competition, I shot PCP for about 16 or 17 years. I shot Daystate, Ripley, Walther, Theoben, ld/SS, USFT and Steyr. I picked up a TX200 Mk2 about seven years back and transitioned to Springer over the next couple of years. Now I pretty much shoot the the three TX200 rifles I have set up for FT.

I broke out the Steyr last year, set it up, used it for two matches and then put it back in the safe. I shot pretty much the same scores with the Steyr as I did with the TX200, but I enjoy the springers more. With the right pellet for the rifle and the shooter doing their part, springers are deadly accurate.

I will probably keep the Steyr for the time when I can no longer shoot the springer as easily as I do now. I am only 73, so lots of years left for the TX troup.

I too just recently dug out the TX-200 and set it back up for FT duty. With the WORLDS WFTF event coming to the USA in 2024 & on the west coast ( Arizona ) it will be a can't miss it event. So for the next year or so a lot more spring gun FT will be shot.
Shooting a piston gun at the WORLDS event sounds like more fun than PCP ... whole lot harder too !!

:love: Have zero intentions of getting rid of the PCP's ... They simply are fantastic tools.

I recently rezeroed all my PCPs . I then got to my few springers and ever since I’ve been shooting them daily

I learned on the worst Bam guns and clunky crossman triggers.
The few springers I retained all shoot very well. Springers have their own personality and shot characteristics and once you master the springer there is a deep sense of satisfaction.

Skill levels are tested with
springers.

If you shoot a pcp and it misses it’s most likely the gun.
If you shoot s springer and it misses it’s most likely YOU.

41D7EEC1-BF38-4FC8-9A69-83C5DA5B2818.jpeg

Last edited:
Thing about springers is you can get into a top tier rifle with excellent craftsmanship and a great trigger, built to last for generations, for under $500 brand new. You could shoot the best of the best for under $1k.

PCP’s in the same price range are still guns built to sell at a price point, until you get to around $700 and even then, you give up a lot in terms of quality and craftsmanship.

In the past i have bought and sold a gamo urban, bsa buccaneer, and benjamin discovery punp combo. Off the bench my R9 could probably never touch the urban or the buccaneer with the right pellet in the sweet spot. But i had magazine cycling issues, and in the urban, different pellets clipping the baffles at different power settings or fill pressures, i said to heck with it. Off hand the Disco was better than both, but my R9 off hand is like an extension of myself. And at the time I paid less for the R9 than any of the others. And the R9 was built in the free world by what some regard as airgun artisans, while the PCP rifles near the price were likely connected to slaves and/or a dictator overseas in some way.

If it were honestly, purely about function over form and a means to an end drilling pesky critters near and far, i’d give the R9 up for a gauntlet on a bipod and embrace the tedium hand pumping. But it’s more than that, it’s about the whole experience.

If i had more fun money i would give a high end pcp a go and probably never look back lol. Or appreciate them both, in phases, like you

Last edited:
I have numerous high end pcp's and love em , but find my springers far more rewarding . I think Id sell my pcp's before I sold my springers ( apart from one ) .

TX200 177 , HW97 177 , HW98 177 , and about to buy HW 80 long rang hunter . Oh yeah I also Have a Barra Black ops sniper rifle 177 I bought It for sh1ts and giggles but we wont talk about that .