Forget EBay…

I could not imagine selling a PCP or anything of significant value on eBay again after having seen how greedy they are. Just sold a Spyderco and they took their 13.25% off the total, even off taxes and shipping! That’s right, EBay took 13.25% even off of the taxes and shipping! I called the customer service and they said that it takes money to move money. He did admit that they were hearing a lot of complaints and the resellers leaving eBay. I told him taking too much money loses money, and their greed is disgusting. It would be great if we could sell other items on this forum. eBay could use more competition.

Reactions: baranjhn and qball
eBay didn’t used to charge the fees on the shipping or the taxes. Used to only apply fees to the sale price. You can thank the dishonest sellers, mostly from overseas, for forcing them to do that. Those scammy sellers would take an item that was worth $100 fair value and list it for $1 with a $99 shipping fee. Just an example. But that would allow them to avoid paying eBay the fees since almost all cost was shipping. They were only paying eBay fees on the $1. That’s an extreme example but you get the point. eBay tried for years to counter that tactic and finally threw in the towel and said enough, we’re just charging the fees on everything. And I really don’t blame them.

I could not imagine selling a PCP or anything of significant value on eBay again after having seen how greedy they are. Just sold a Spyderco and they took their 13.25% off the total, even off taxes and shipping! That’s right, EBay took 13.25% even off of the taxes and shipping! I called the customer service and they said that it takes money to move money. He did admit that they were hearing a lot of complaints and the resellers leaving eBay. I told him taking too much money loses money, and their greed is disgusting. It would be great if we could sell other items on this forum. eBay could use more competition.
I stopped using E-bay as a seller about two years ago because of their greed and policies.

eBay didn’t used to charge the fees on the shipping or the taxes. Used to only apply fees to the sale price. You can thank the dishonest sellers, mostly from overseas, for forcing them to do that. Those scammy sellers would take an item that was worth $100 fair value and list it for $1 with a $99 shipping fee. Just an example. But that would allow them to avoid paying eBay the fees since almost all cost was shipping. They were only paying eBay fees on the $1. That’s an extreme example but you get the point. eBay tried for years to counter that tactic and finally threw in the towel and said enough, we’re just charging the fees on everything. And I really don’t blame them.
Appreciate the response. One would think eBay could set up an algorithm to flag and filter out those practices-especially given the loss of sellers they are now facing. Maybe not.

Spartan,
Thanks for explanation, often wondered why sellers did that. WM

I stopped selling on there awhile ago. Can't make money on resale, or you have to jack your price to get what you wanted, then no one buys because it's ridiculously expensive. I laugh at some of the prices people expect on there for old used beat up airguns. It's almost as bad on the classifieds here too, expecting 10% less than MSRP for a used item is comical.

I sell on Ebay. Not all airguns. But in other categories also. Most of my items I add 15% to cover % rates. There is .30 sent per item fee. Sales tax is collected for your state. and still keep them at reasonably priced. I'm not greedy. It's better to make a little on something, than nothing at all. Sold a 38t there today.

It has been a good extra source of income for me.

This is Capitalism. Everyone gets there share, even Fleebay

Until you get their tax statement at the end of the year, showing what you sold as being "taxable income". Everybody has their hand out these days......ugh.
Blame the IRS. Forcing all of the outfits to report the transactions, I believe its on sales over $600. Note, it's been postponed one year. Have to pay for all of our new guests somehow eh?

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty911
Try having £2000 of key programing equipment that I sold on Ebay to be used by the buyer for a month doing I dont know how many cars" for them then to send it me back thrown in its case with bits missing from it.
Then be told by Ebay I have no choice but to give them their money back.
Do not sell on Ebay unless your prepared to be scammed" avoid like lt at all costs.
They know what goes on but dont care

Until you get their tax statement at the end of the year, showing what you sold as being "taxable income". Everybody has their hand out these days......ugh.
You can deduct the COG cost of goods and only pay taxes on the profit. For most stuff it's a loss, so no biggie. The 1099 is for Gross income. Taxes are on net income.

...oh, I see...now it`s us , the overseas sellers, that are the problem...You British by any chance?