• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Forced Kneeling

Something that I thought odd when I started FT. I when I saw in the rules the picture that shows the two kneeling photos. One shows that sitting on a turned foot is not legal. That's how I was taught to shoot kneeling 45 years ago on a high school 3 position rifle team. However if I set on my ankle like that now. I would never walk again. But one thing I have found even for an old unlimber fat guy. If I place my bucket next to the kneeling shot I can use it to lean on while lowering myself. After my shot I can use it to get up again. A lot of days I shoot offhand like so many others.

Thus the Challenge !!! get guys
The Forced Lanes are there for a reason .. that being to separate who truly has the full skill set from those that don't :rolleyes:
Go to most GP or State matches there will be some who CLEAN their sitting shots leaving only the forced shots to decide who's the more skilled.
Motörhead's right about that but think about it
Kneeling or standing with sticks - is one an advantage over the other? - you younger generation that just blow off the difficulty of us older guys trying to kneel -----you will be old someday also. Sounds like you're scared of a fair fight.

Kneeling or standing with sticks - is one an advantage over the other? - you younger generation that just blow off the difficulty of us older guys trying to kneel -----you will be old someday also. Sounds like you're scared of a fair fight.
I'll take that for the TROLL that it is ...

Sounds like you are UNABLE to have a fair fight ? As the rules of the game or Fight as your calling it are well documented and followed by all playing.
Which leads us to the simple reality of aging out of certain sports or activities. You may still play the FT game in which ever class you do ... but no one else on the field of play is doing so with different requirements asked or allowed of them.

Simple FACT that's not changing for SANCTIONED Field target competitions ... If You CAN'T Kneel, you shoot it standing/offhand. If you CAN'T shoot standing/offhand either, mark a ZERO for each shot not taken and move along. If exception is made for one person, it is only fair to be allowed by all persons. Your talking Fair Fight .. No ?

Clubs shoots, Fun shoots no one cares and Match Directors of said event will allow shooting sticks in the offhand or whatever crutch one may want to get along & play along. That is not in dispute here best I can tell :rolleyes:

As one who is slowly ageing out myself in being able to shoot like years past .. I certainly don't take it personally accepting it for what it is .... Becoming Harder !!

Last edited:
...you younger generation that just blow off the difficulty of us older guys trying to kneel -----you will be old someday also. Sounds like you're scared of a fair fight.

And I'll be retired some day too, at which time there will be LOTS more time to practice, should I choose to do so. 😉

No problem with the forced position rules as they are.

Every match I've been to, win-place-show scores were mid-50s & up. Gotta have something to separate the best shooters from the pack, & forced positions are often that something.

Sure that there are other ways to create that separation. And double sure that it'd take about 12 seconds for people to complain & yell "not fair" about those too. Triple sure that there is no solution that would make everyone happy.

As for me, I read the AAFTA rules before my first match, & knew exactly what I was signing up for. Forced positions, 16x limit, ranging by parallax, competing against rigs costing 3x (or more) than mine, etc. Jumped in on my own accord, so you'll not hear me griping about the rules of the game.

Hornets nest created - Forced positions completely understood and the reasons why there were created - somewhere along in all this it seems this has gone from fat old people don't like them or shouldn't have them at all or if your too old or disabled just go home
- I don't think anyone is saying forced positions are not necessary, Never hear anyone really complain about it in the venues I shoot in, just deal with the difficulty and go on.
What I was questioning is - somewhere along the line it was decided that an equal alternative to kneeling is offhand?
Or it was never intended to be an equal alternative in the first place?
It just seems to me if it was intended to be an equal alternative - standing with sticks is a more equal alternative to kneeling than offhand!!!!!
Its just my thoughts - is it equality or not -or its never was intended to be ?
But I for one wouldn't know these difficulty differeances - Fairly new to this and if you have "alternative" body parts don't try kneeling- its better to go home with 0s.
Not that any of this really matters rules are the rules. As far I am concerned shooting kneeling lanes offhand is just making me a better offhand shooter.

BY THE WAY I NEVER MENTION "SPECIAL RULES" FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE AND NOT OTHERS
Fair Fight - ya a bad choice of words - if you weren't raised in West Texas where high school football is everything and I do mean everything... those words can be taken out of context pretty easy.

I've followed this thread with interest.

As a ex FT shooter, UK and Europe I'm a firm believer in the rules. There for a purpose.

A accident and leg injuries ended my love for FT competition.
I couldn't do the positional shots, struggled to walk the course, trust me I tried. Not worth the pain afterwards, or the nagging from the wife.

If a competition is local, I visit, see old buddies, fire a few shots on the zero range. Then disappear.

I'm lucky, I took part in the whole FT experience, good times, happy memories.

My circumstances changed, not the rules. Long may FT continue.

I still shoot, often.
My version of FT, longer distances, higher power. No clock. Whatever position I can manage or invent.
It stimulates the brain. 🙂

I still and always will miss the banter, craic, and companionship of the competition.

Good luck guys, trust me, having a go at FT, with all its rules is worth the effort, a low score is worth the effort, learning is effort.
Take a few zero points on the positional lanes, just watch the experienced guys. Then practice, practice and practice.

Reactions: cavedweller
Just a simple HIERARCHY in difficulty. Kneeling is Easier than Standing/Offhand.
A lane is assigned for the easier miens to shoot it ... But one who Can't do easier ? then do the next harder methiod ... not an even easier way, unless Everone gets that choice option.

Bill, we get it .. honestly we do. :cry:
I am in line with Motörhead. If you can’t do a positional, you can do the next harder method allowed by the rules. I actually perform better standing with a bipod than kneeling, so to me that is easier not harder. But it doesn’t matter because not allowed by rules.

Reactions: OkAirgunner
I am in line with Motörhead. If you can’t do a positional, you can do the next harder method allowed by the rules. I actually perform better standing with a bipod than kneeling, so to me that is easier not harder. But it doesn’t matter because not allowed by rules.
"standing with a bipod" no bipods (you mean tall sticks for standing? ) standing is freehand at least anywhere i have been

"standing with a bipod" no bipods (you mean tall sticks for standing? ) standing is freehand at least anywhere i have been
A 2 leg support no matter TALL or SHORT is still classified as "BI" meaning 2 ( Bipod )
No there not allowed by the AAFTA for standing/offhand shots.
**With the exception of getting your range to target figured out, then set aside for the actual shooting.

Ron mentioned he thought standing with a bipod is a more equitable position than offhand with no bipod if the shooter cannot kneel. I think standing with a bipod is easier than kneeling, so I am not in favor.

Something that I thought odd when I started FT. I when I saw in the rules the picture that shows the two kneeling photos. One shows that sitting on a turned foot is not legal. That's how I was taught to shoot kneeling 45 years ago on a high school 3 position rifle team. However if I set on my ankle like that now. I would never walk again. But one thing I have found even for an old unlimber fat guy. If I place my bucket next to the kneeling shot I can use it to lean on while lowering myself. After my shot I can use it to get up again. A lot of days I shoot offhand like so many others.
Feeling you!

When I first saw the rules for FT kneeling, I thought they were oddly restrictive when compared to what the NRA 3P Smallbore rules state for kneeling. In 3P you can turn your foot sideways and sit on it, and there is also allowance for use of a second kneeling roll between the foot and butt if you are over the age of 55. I also know there are disability provisions allowed in the NRA rules as long as you have a waiver indicating you are allowed to do something special, like if you had bad knees and under age 55, you could get a waiver that allows you to use the second kneeling roll.

You can always shoot a less stable position in lieu of a more stable position, like shooting standing in lieu of kneeling.