• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch for you DIY tuners

Can take a while if your adding buttons to the piston opening up transfer port etc
Hw 99/50 buttons
Hw 80 reduced to 225g /7.9 ounces

IMG_8392.png

IMG_8391.png

IMG_8394.png

Yes mate
Adding the delrin buttons/bearings removes the metal to metal contact. My 99 like most had the galling problem from the poor design of the cocking arm . With this modified I decided to do the piston , you can see the witness marks on the pistons where they pick up on the cylinder. Hw pistons are slightly flared on the rear skirt to act like a bearing, you remove this so the pistons are straight then add the synthetic bearing so they run on that . It’s makes the cocking much smoother, keeps everything central, and you only need a fraction of lube . I use ws2 powder mixed with stp/ petrol additive as a lube a tiny amount behind the seal and same for bearings. On the 99 there was a small gain fps I recall 6 but a huge gain in smoothness and shot cycle .
Opening up the transfer port was done on the 80 because the piston is so light 3.4mm was the final size tuned for jsb pellets . That’s a very nice rifle to shoot .👍

Yes mate
Adding the delrin buttons/bearings removes the metal to metal contact. My 99 like most had the galling problem from the poor design of the cocking arm . With this modified I decided to do the piston , you can see the witness marks on the pistons where they pick up on the cylinder. Hw pistons are slightly flared on the rear skirt to act like a bearing, you remove this so the pistons are straight then add the synthetic bearing so they run on that . It’s makes the cocking much smoother, keeps everything central, and you only need a fraction of lube . I use ws2 powder mixed with stp/ petrol additive as a lube a tiny amount behind the seal and same for bearings. On the 99 there was a small gain fps I recall 6 but a huge gain in smoothness and shot cycle .
Opening up the transfer port was done on the 80 because the piston is so light 3.4mm was the final size tuned for jsb pellets . That’s a very nice rifle to shoot .👍
What type of muzzle energy are we talking on the 80?

What type of muzzle energy are we talking on the 80?
It’s 12fpe buddy I’m from England we have to modify to balance things out . The 80 can do 20+ better around 16 you could add the same type of piston bearing but wouldn’t need to lighten the piston , and I’d use a steel or phosphor bronze rear guide fixed into the trigger block .

It’s 12fpe buddy I’m from England we have to modify to balance things out . The 80 can do 20+ better around 16 you could add the same type of piston bearing but wouldn’t need to lighten the piston , and I’d use a steel or phosphor bronze rear guide fixed into the trigger block .
Yeah that's a bit ridiculous. Out of curiosity why go with an 80 at all over lets say a 35 if you're limited to 12fpe?

Can take a while if your adding buttons to the piston opening up transfer port etc
Hw 99/50 buttons
Hw 80 reduced to 225g /7.9 ounces

View attachment 446363

View attachment 446364

View attachment 446365
Yeah Steve,
I've been using Air Rifle Headquarters (ARH) buttons on all my tunes for years. These are simple glue-on buttons and not inserts which you have used. Inserts would be ideal, but I really didn't want to drill out my pistons .......... surprisingly the glue-on buttons stay put once you get them into the compression chamber. However, their easily nicked trying to get the piston in.

All my guns cock smoother, feel very solid/steady as you cock .... but buttons do slow down the piston just a touch during the shot cycle.

That's why I usually go with a powerful spring and then reduce power (by clipping coils or compressing the spring) until I get the balanced shot cycle I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Yeah Steve,
I've been using Air Rifle Headquarters (ARH) buttons on all my tunes for years. These are simple glue-on buttons and not inserts which you have used. Inserts would be ideal, but I really didn't want to drill out my pistons .......... surprisingly the glue-on buttons stay put once you get them into the compression chamber. However, their easily nicked trying to get the piston in.

All my gun cock smoother, feel very solid/steady as you cock .... but buttons do slow down the piston just a touch during the shot cycle.

That's why I usually go with a powerful spring and then reduce power (by clipping coils or compressing the spring) until I get the balanced shot cycle I'm looking for.
Yes I’ve seen Jim’s buttons on his web page . If you ever get an old piston try the drill and tap method its pretty easy 👍

What's the drill and tap method?
Sizes are in metric mate
I used 6mm delrin rod . Run a m5 die down the rod to create a thread .
Drill 5mm holes in the skirt of piston and thread with a m6 tap . Locktite the threads and screw in .
Remove the protruding threads from inside of piston until flush.
The turn down the buttons until you have a nice sliding fit to the cylinder 👍

IMG_8393.png

IMG_8392.png

IMG_8400.png

Sizes are in metric mate
I used 6mm delrin rod . Run a m5 die down the rod to create a thread .
Drill 5mm holes in the skirt of piston and thread with a m6 tap . Locktite the threads and screw in .
Remove the protruding threads from inside of piston until flush.
The turn down the buttons until you have a nice sliding fit to the cylinder 👍

View attachment 446733

View attachment 446734

View attachment 446736
That's what I was thinking but wasn't for sure. I thought most people just used a 4 flute center cutting end mill and plunge into .020 or so, then glue in a slice and then turn it down. I guess there's more than one way to getter done.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't for sure. I thought most people just used a 4 flute center cutting end mill and plunge into .020 or so, then glue in a slice and then turn it down. I guess there's more than one way to getter done.
Yes if doing a comp tube that’s the way . Paul watts got some great videos, clever bloke brilliant work