• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch for you DIY tuners

Opening up the tp is not something I have messed with. Am now curious if anyone has documented the effects in a way that provides direct data on the size of tp vs. Effect on fps etc. What would be the max before diminishing returns are reached. I assume it is a direct relationship to the caliber used where enlarging the tp can only be done to a certain percentage of the bore it is opening into before a loss in performance is reached?
What @Steve 1974 said. The only reason I tried was because I had pretty clear cut bounce and I went very slowly testing in between sizing and only going up a fraction or two mm at a time. All in I ended up with a 20% bigger transfer port and a 15% lighter piston. All said and done it was about 3hrs worth of work.

The next project will be interesting. I'm going to start by lightening a TX piston by 25% and then working with the TP from there. The TX port is closer to 3.8mm from the factory and from what I was reading last night I may actually end up needing to make that smaller. Should be interesting....

It’s a fine balance.ive only done it when tuning a set up with a very light piston in sub 12 rifles .
Caution if you open it up to much the shot cycle can be horrible.you can make threaded inserts with different size ports as long as you get them to seal .
I do like the idea of interchangeable inserts. Seems interesting none of the major high manufacturer's offer something like this. Rifles like the tx200 which are marketed as FT capable you might think would have a thread port. With the option to buy tuning kits that have an assortment similar to motorcycle carburetor jet kits.

I'd use grub screws with the centers drilled out to various sizes. Then you can use an allen key to swap them easily
I'd be very careful with that. I know from building race engines that airflow at high velocity is very easily disturbed by the least changes in area and shape. Your methodology is firm from a servicing aspect. But the shortened port length and inside corners on a grub screw could totally alter airflow. The socket head will create additional lost volume as well. They'll be some sort of step where the grub screw meets the compression tube. At the velocities the air travels through the TP even drilling scars can alter airflow negatively.

The area and location of transfer ports is very critical to airflow. Example the main reason the big Dianas are such powerhouses it's because they use a centrally located transfer port. The biggest Weihrauchs cant match them because they use offset transfer ports to simplify construction. Simply offsetting the TP creates enough additional turbulence that efficency suffers greatly.

I'm not saying don't experiment with TP sizes. I'm just saying that drilled grub screws sizes won't be the same as the same size orifice in a full length normal TP. Comparing different sized drilled grub screw to grub screw will be ok and give you a change in behavior but I'd expect a loss of efficiency due to turbulence across the board. You might have enough power to spare the efficiency but I would think a loss of efficiency would negatively affect manners which was the goal in the first place.

Maybe something to think about is a flared or stepped tube that inserts from inside the comp tube. Then drill that tube to different to different sizes. I'm jealous you have the equipment to do the things I wish I could do and I'm following with great interest. Best of luck with your projects

I'd be very careful with that. I know from building race engines that airflow at high velocity is very easily disturbed by the least changes in area and shape. Your methodology is firm from a servicing aspect. But the shortened port length and inside corners on a grub screw could totally alter airflow. The socket head will create additional lost volume as well. They'll be some sort of step where the grub screw meets the compression tube. At the velocities the air travels through the TP even drilling scars can alter airflow negatively.

The area and location of transfer ports is very critical to airflow. Example the main reason the big Dianas are such powerhouses it's because they use a centrally located transfer port. The biggest Weihrauchs cant match them because they use offset transfer ports to simplify construction. Simply offsetting the TP creates enough additional turbulence that efficency suffers greatly.

I'm not saying don't experiment with TP sizes. I'm just saying that drilled grub screws sizes won't be the same as the same size orifice in a full length normal TP. Comparing different sized drilled grub screw to grub screw will be ok and give you a change in behavior but I'd expect a loss of efficiency due to turbulence across the board. You might have enough power to spare the efficiency but I would think a loss of efficiency would negatively affect manners which was the goal in the first place.

Maybe something to think about is a flared or stepped tube that inserts from inside the comp tube. Then drill that tube to different to different sizes. I'm jealous you have the equipment to do the things I wish I could do and I'm following with great interest. Best of luck with your projects
Good to know! The other option, and probably the one I'm going with on the TX, is drilling out the TP and sleeving it if needed. I actually have an idea for an easy to make ultra light piston that I'm going to start with. Then I'll deal with the spring and TP in that order.

Polishing the TP will improve alr flow ,mirror finish . Engineer friend just polished an Evinrude out board / ALL inside gas and exhaust travel path ways and almost doubled the HP , 2.5 to 4.7 HP polished every path to a mirror finish . of course no manufacture would do that to many $$$ . seem to remember something like 12 hours work.

Polishing the TP will improve alr flow ,mirror finish . Engineer friend just polished an Evinrude out board / ALL inside gas and exhaust travel path ways and almost doubled the HP , 2.5 to 4.7 HP polished every path to a mirror finish . of course no manufacture would do that to many $$$ . seem to remember something like 12 hours work.
That and I think a slight taper leading into it may help?

A shoelace covered in autosol metal polish works a treat on air rifle ports , thread it through and work back and forth

I do like the idea of interchangeable inserts. Seems interesting none of the major high manufacturer's offer something like this. Rifles like the tx200 which are marketed as FT capable you might think would have a thread port. With the option to buy tuning kits that have an assortment similar to motorcycle carburetor jet kits.
Down to cost , good design the tx but they not well finished inside , nothing fits properly. And the prosport is naff, it’s pretty though

What @Steve 1974 said. The only reason I tried was because I had pretty clear cut bounce and I went very slowly testing in between sizing and only going up a fraction or two mm at a time. All in I ended up with a 20% bigger transfer port and a 15% lighter piston. All said and done it was about 3hrs worth of work.

The next project will be interesting. I'm going to start by lightening a TX piston by 25% and then working with the TP from there. The TX port is closer to 3.8mm from the factory and from what I was reading last night I may actually end up needing to make that smaller. Should be interesting....
You could convert the tx to a 22mm setup
Tony leach has a very good conversion for this it’s skirtless .
I had a 22mm set up in a hw77 that wasn’t skirtless full alloy piston that was a nick g conversion. It was close to pcp accuracy and still did 11.4 with express.tony and nick are two of the best tuners in the uk . I’m sure many in the states have used them .