For those with multiple PCP rifles, pistols, tanks...

Went down this PCP rabbit hole a couple of years ago, so I currently have about 4 PCP rifles, a PCP pistol, some HPA conversions, 2 HPA tanks and a pump.

(I know some of you have a lot more....)

Don't you find yourself in a position where at any given moment, there's always at least one PCP rifle/pistol/tank that has a "leaking" o-ring somewhere? One that is developing a slow leak? Or one regulator that is creeping? 

It's like, I would fix an issue, then a few weeks or 2 months would go by, another one would develop a small leak, etc and etc, on and on....

I have more (many more) than your described amount of potentially leaking items.

But I guess that I am lucky (?) in that I don't have the same leakage issues (or any others) which you describe. At least with the airguns, tanks and compressors which I have, I have found them to be quite robust. Yeah, occasionally I'll start having some accuracy issues with a gun I haven't shot for some time, but a little silicone lube on the breech seal o-ring generally fixes things right up.

Airguns are surprisingly complex, and contain so many leak paths due to the need for o-ring seals. But many manufacturers seem to have compensated for this in their designs, and I spend 99.99% of my time with my guns shooting, not fixing.

I have way more than I need, in both pistols and rifles.

So far the only gun that I've had leak was a new rifle. Long story short, I fixed it. Matter of fact, I just checked it yesterday after a long period of "sitting", no obvious leakage.

But to your question, sure, the more that you have of an item that may develop a problem, the more that possibility exists. But with the one exception, so far, I guess I've been pretty lucky, with no problem children, guns or my tank.

Mike

I have 3 Taipan Vets, a couple Daystates and one Benjamin Bulldog but I just got that one. I haven’t had any leaks on them. I did purchase another major brand a few months ago new from Pyramyd Air that leaked on arrival. Pyramyd was gracious enough to take it back since I didn’t want to send a brand new gun back to the manufacturer for repair. I did have them do the 10 for $10 pre-shipment test but they must have missed the leak. 

I have a a Gen1 Impact with over 12,000 rounds on it, an m3, an SK-19 and several Crosman PCPs I built from the 22xx platform. I have never had a leak just develop on any of my guns. If I have leaks of any kind I have caused it while werqing on the gun. Which I have done a couple of times.

I would expect people in dry dusty areas to have a bit more of a problem with this though.

There are two types of PCP air guns: Those that have leaked, and those that will. When I open up a gun, I replace all of the seals I touch. So far, this approach has never produced a leaking gun once the work is done. If a gun develops a leak, I fix it as soon as I can. So far, only my Gen 1 Mrod has ever developed a leak (from the pressure guage) after many years of service. I also smashed the valve poppet once in a tuning mishap. My DreamTac hasn't had any leaks yet, but it is less than 6 months old. I fully expect to have it leak at some point in the future, so a full seal kit is on hand for that day.

I did when I kept my guns near a heating vent and a room that had large temp changes, now I keep them in a room that stays close to 70* all the time, no more leak issues, I think when the guns are subject to large temp changes for a long period of time, the O-rings will get Hard and start leaking, keep the guns in an area where the temp is stable, it should help keep the O-rings from hardening.

All my guns are bought new. When new, they tend to remain leak free for about 2 years or so. My FX Impact that I bought in 2018 was leak free for 2 years I upgraded the plenum, valves, etc... but about 2 years in, the parts that were not upgraded, like the original foster valve, started leaking, followed by the original gauge port. Same thing with my Benjamin Armada and 35 cal W.A.R Flex. After 2+ years, they started leaking here and there, original bottle o-rings, foster, gauge ports. 

Maybe the way to approach this is, after 2 years, if and when a leak develops, tear down the gun and replace all the seals and o-rings.

Sure I get leaks. Guns, compressors, fill whip Foster fittings and even a tank regulator valve from time to time. I am pretty deep into this sport too. But it doesn’t matter if you have 1 gun or a dozen, sooner or later your going to develop a leak. The trick is to have the spare o rings and knowledge to do the repair yourself. 

Reactions: steve-l