For those that do their own work

For tinkerers to the hard core of you, I found some very...high grade Allan drivers (plus other drivers) today.

With my recent introduction to the RC car hobby, along with the air guns, requiring PROPER fitting Allan wrenches to keep from ruining hex fasteners, I found THE drivers today.
In looking at different drivers available, and comments from users on a couple of different RC forums, there seems to be two or three companies that are of higher grade tools, and a LOT of cheaper, questionable tool manufacturers.

I looked into the MIP (Moore's Ideal Products). While yes, they are a little expensive, after a walk though the manufacturing plant today while purchasing a a few drivers, was enlightening. And yeah, I'm not easily impressed. Yes, they happen to be close by my house. I even met mister Moore as he walked out the door !
As some of you know, I worked most of my life in the Aerospace industry. Both sides, Aircraft and Space. My last 20 years in the "Space" side of things. I've got a pretty good idea what makes up a good tool from...well...others. And yeah, we normally pay for good tools, or pay more than once for cheaper tools or the fasteners that the cheaper tools have ruined !

The MIP shop (all offices) is/are VERY clean. All mostly new, custom CNC lath, mill, combination machines, that get updated every 10 years. 12 axes machines, with robot arms, and "check" tools as part of the actual machine.
Allan driver tips are diamond wheel ground (not milled) within, .0005" of the finished required dimension. ALL of their tools will be the SAME (+/-.0005") of each other, no matter when you may buy them. The bit dimensions are a study of both the Machinery Design, hand book, AND "actual", high grade fasteners. The tip dimensions are made to fit "properly" into high grade (grade 3A / 3B threads) fasteners, rather than the looser grades, 1 or 2 hex sockets.

I checked a couple of screw fits with my new drivers after getting home. Yeah...nice fit ! I bought four drivers today.

Anyway, if you don't mind paying a little more for well designed and manufactured drivers, check these guys tools.

Mike

For tinkerers to the hard core of you, I found some very...high grade Allan drivers (plus other drivers) today.

With my recent introduction to the RC car hobby, along with the air guns, requiring PROPER fitting Allan wrenches to keep from ruining hex fasteners, I found THE drivers today.
In looking at different drivers available, and comments from users on a couple of different RC forums, there seems to be two or three companies that are of higher grade tools, and a LOT of cheaper, questionable tool manufacturers.

I looked into the MIP (Moore's Ideal Products). While yes, they are a little expensive, after a walk though the manufacturing plant today while purchasing a a few drivers, was enlightening. And yeah, I'm not easily impressed. Yes, they happen to be close by my house. I even met mister Moore as he walked out the door !
As some of you know, I worked most of my life in the Aerospace industry. Both sides, Aircraft and Space. My last 20 years in the "Space" side of things. I've got a pretty good idea what makes up a good tool from...well...others. And yeah, we normally pay for good tools, or pay more than once for cheaper tools or the fasteners that the cheaper tools have ruined !

The MIP shop (all offices) is/are VERY clean. All mostly new, custom CNC lath, mill, combination machines, that get updated every 10 years. 12 axes machines, with robot arms, and "check" tools as part of the actual machine.
Allan driver tips are diamond wheel ground (not milled) within, .0005" of the finished required dimension. ALL of their tools will be the SAME (+/-.0005") of each other, no matter when you may buy them. The bit dimensions are a study of both the Machinery Design, hand book, AND "actual", high grade fasteners. The tip dimensions are made to fit "properly" into high grade (grade 3A / 3B threads) fasteners, rather than the looser grades, 1 or 2 hex sockets.

I checked a couple of screw fits with my new drivers after getting home. Yeah...nice fit ! I bought four drivers today.

Anyway, if you don't mind paying a little more for well designed and manufactured drivers, check these guys tools.

Mike
I'm thinking you use to or are worked/working at Boeing. I worked 5 years at the Huntington plant between the composite delta 2,3, and 4 fairings and the NASA wing project.

Reactions: Scotay42
And you've tried...how many brands ?
Have you even seen the MIP line of tools ?

Mike
Not recently, but have used many of the R/C tools as I was involved in radio control toys for about ten years. As a toolmaker, I wirked with hardened steel and any tool that can withstand that abuse has to be good !!

Reactions: 17dean
I have used two Align hex driver sets for 15 years or so. Both RC helis/planes/cars, and air gun adjustments/repairs. The tips are hard, sharp and are ground to correct dimensions. The handle gives a good grip as well. 🙂👍