For those that believe if you hit skunks in the lungs they don't spray

Reminds me of an old laugh. Late 80s I was working patrol and we had a call for a prowler around an old Mexican food restaurant. The shift supervisor is walking around the restaurant in a remote area. I just got out of my car and turned on my handheld radio when I look up my lights are illuminating the supervisor walking left to right along the front of the building and a skunk walking back to front coming up the right side of the building. This was in the spring and the county was having an issue with rabies and skunks. I could tell they were about to meet, so I grab my radio to warn him, but just as I key up, I'm still too close to the car so there is nothing, but feedback across the channel. He draws and fires a .45, but doesn't get a clean kill. The skunk flees under the restaurant. Yeah, we didn't eat there for a month or two. I hear he's working for Homeland Security today. Insert your own joke here. 😁

Sometimes they spray, sometimes they don't. It is just a roll of the dice. A head shot for me has ALWAYS caused spraying. Body shots rarely have caused a release of noxious aromas. I too prefer a shot through the liver just rear of the lungs as I have had best results with no spray in that situation. I always leave dead skunks till the next morning and many times I don't have to pick them up because a predator or a turkey buzzard beats me too it :) . Hogs are also known to pick up a dead skunk and take it away. I shot a big one 2 nights ago with my Impact .25 .... no spray and no skunk the next morning either. I hope the animal that removed it enjoyed it. I bet the bad breath last a while though. lol