• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

For those of us who have to "Elvis Costello" their PCP.

By Elvis Costello, I mean "pump it up".

Is it better to look for a PCP with a smaller reservoir so you do not have to manually pump it up as much? Not going to get as many shots, however you will not be as fatigued either and should shoot better.

I forget the pellet gun the AEAC gentleman said was good for hand pumping, but I know it was due to the smaller reservoir.

Just wondering if there is a rhyme or reason as to when hand pumping could be a practical alternative.

TIA

I'd say it depends on how you use your gun. If you're mainly a hunter or pest control guy then it's most likely rare to get more than a dozen shot opportunities in an outing. You can easily keep your gun topped up with a bit of pumping between hunts. If you're shooting benchrest and going through 100 or more shots per session get a tank or compressor (or both). The Discovery and Maximus are both 2000 psi fill pressure guns and the Marauder can be adjusted for lower fill pressure if you don't mind a little less power. The CZs200 is another good choice in my opinion, or the Gamo Urban, though the Urban uses a bit higher fill pressure.

John

The smaller the air reservoir / tank - The less air volume, 
so it will reach the peak volume and build pressure faster.
And vise versa..
The larger air res / tank - more initial air is need to peak the volume, 
and start building pressure.

For manual pumping, smaller would be easier/quicker, but as you mentioned, 
less overall volume - less over all shot count.

Filling from electric pumps and/or hpa bottles - bigger/more is usually better..

The most important thing is just keeping the pressure as constant as possible 
and within the range that works the best for the specific rifle.

*Thumbs Up*

Sam -

PS: In some people's case, they only need a rifle to pest or hunt with, 
so they don't necessarily need a huge shot count - so smaller res/tanks can be more practical..
[and the same would go for hand pumping]

In other cases - say long session / non stop target or pesting, more shots would be desired, 
so, bigger res/tanks / huge shot counts are a plus.
[Same deal with electric pump / bottle filling]

I agree with John, also there are a couple PCPs with self contained pumps I know fx makes one called Independence and i seen another one but i cant remember who makes it.

nova freedom. 

and the same thing with a different name 

seneca aspen. 

both seem to get pretty good reviews.

gotta take the bad reviews of the freedom/aspen for what they are though,

alot of times its people that dont know anything about pcp's buying their first gun, 

and dont understand how they are supposed to operate,

so i think some negative reviews are just operator error and not a problem with the gun. 

just my .02 ✌️

The other pcp rifle with integrated pump is this one:
ATI Nova Vista Freedom [AKA the Seneca Aspen]
They're available in .177 and .22 cal. [Mine is .22]

1548361088_16357364975c4a1d808914a3.30991265_20181112_171749.jpg

This one is mine, and I love it.. It can be hand pumped via the built in lever-pump, 
or, it can use a fill-probe, and be pumped with a manual hand pump, electric pump, or hpa bottle.

Mine came pre-filled to @ 100 or 150 bar, so I think another 40ish pumps brought it to a full 200 bar max..
I'll usually cap it off at like 180, so the shots level off and are more consistent, but either way..

Every few shots, 5 pumps, repeat.. Or, I'll shoot like 10 rounds and give it 15-25 pumps..
Either way, it works like a charm!

🙂👍 

Sam -

I agree with John, also there are a couple PCPs with self contained pumps I know fx makes one called Independence and i seen another one but i cant remember who makes it.

I was also looking at the ATI Nova Freedom and Seneca Aspen (both self contain hand pump).

Reason I am looking for a hand pump alternative is something I can backpack with........not carrying around air tank or compressor.

Highly Recommended!

Sometimes I like to go out shooting and shooting..
Nature photography and target shooting while I'm out in the country..
I grabbed the Freedom for the same reason. I wanted something that I could just toss in my truck, 
bring it with me, and no have to worry about anything else.

I don't usually hunt or pest, but, I did get two squirrels with my Freedom..
There's a thread on here with the photos - They're a bit gruesome.. lol
Both shots were taken from about 30 yards with a cheap scope..
1 squirrel standing still - pellet through the eye [removing it completely]
1 squirrel running full speed - I shot it off and / impact hit the neck.

Extremely accurate gun, and also very adjustable.

For the price - I'd do it again.
The ATI Nova Vista "Liberty" is another version.. No built in pump, medium size air res/tank, 
but it's regulated, so, many more shots than usual since there's no wasted air, and, 
each shot is a lot more consistent as well.

Sam -

For exactly that scenario you are describing I'm using my Springer TX200. In my case I went with PCP because my hunting game start to realize how dangerous was to stay close and they moved away, past 40 yards now and the Springer was not accurate enough. So I bought a PCP that can give me accuracy beyond 50 yards.

When I'm not hunting, usually I'm firing my springers, but when I'm hunting the PCP is charged and ready to go. I realize I needed a tank one day I went to the range and I wanted to test the PCP at 50 and 100 yards, for those scenarios I needed a lot of shots and a lot of fills, so there you go, the pump and the springers were enough for me, except the day I went to the range... different uses for the same PCP

Now I'm planning to buy the Evanix AirMax, I think you cannot pump that gun, even if its reservoir is small, way too fun to pull the trigger on that thing and you will be consuming the air really fast... :)

I use a hand pump for all of my guns, and im beginning to get a bit of a collection of pcps! I have a hatsan bullboss .25 ( pump 85 times shoot 2 full mags for 18 shots @ 44 ft/lbs), a hatsan flash .22( pump 65 times shoot 2 full mags 24 shots @ 30ft/lbs), gamo urban ( pump 60 times shoot 2 full mags 20 shots @ 26 ft/lbs), umarex gauntlet .177( pump 110 times shoot 7 full mags for 70 shots @17.5 ft/lbs), and finally my p-rod( pump 25 times shoot 3 full mags 24 shots @ 12.5 ft/lbs). All guns are stock btw. Told myself when i started the airgun journey if i cant hand pump it I dont need it.Two years later im still going strong and I shoot almost every day minimum 50 rounds through one of em! I find the flash .22 to be the one i pick up most often followed by the gauntlet, then the prod, then the urban, then the bullboss... Most of my shooting is plinking/small game pesting in my yard between 30 and 83 yards. If i go out hunting its the bullboss first followed by the flash, then urban, then prod, and finally the gauntlet.

If you are looking for something small you can carry consider a maurader pistol. Great platform with tons of options. Also Atman has some options in carbine or pistol. Airforce has a pistol as well though I would think of it as more of a carbine. I carry a leshiy or an ocelot when im out and about fishing. You can get a small air tank in a backpack for refills. I know the leshiy can get a good amount of air fills on a little portable tank. The Airforce talon pistol has a larger tank though and I would assume that you could get more shots from it. I however do not have one. With that said there are options out there and what some of the op said, something with a self contained pump should also be considered. 

If you don’t mind the workout pumping is not that bad. If your bending your legs and going down with each pump it’s not hard to get to 4000psi or more. I pump and shoot my Huntsman regal .22 for 45 shots and my nova vista for much more. I just take a few break so the pump doesn’t get too warm. I can pump up ether gun on and off in the time it take me to get ready to shoot. One thing to think about though are those guns with removable air tanks. I know there are a few where you can carry extra tanks into the woods. I think air arms have one like that and maybe some the rex guns. 

I want a cylinder that I can use between my truck and a sturdy tree. It can be 8 feet long if need be. Put her in drive and pull forward 8 feet. About 3-4 times doing that could charge up an airgun.

My daughter is working on an engineering degree, maybe I can sic her on that. 😊

Or do it with hydraulics like a log splitter. 

Gotta be a cheaper/easier way to make 3000psi

You guys must be studs that pump by hand! A few years ago when I got my first PCP, (Marauder) , I pumped it up by hand twice.....Forget that!!!!!

I bought a cheap Chinese electric pump for 300$...cheaper than some hand pumps. Fill up an old expired 50$ SCBA bottle; shoot for weeks...... stay fat and lazy.

Oh my. I must be one sexy beast then. I hand pumped for six years before I picked up a tank.

I have plans to buy a Fortitude gen 2 this Spring once I'm convinced they have all the bugs worked out, and I will be hand pumping it so I seriously hope it isn't a leaker.

If it turns out that I can't keep up with it using the hand pump then I'll be selling it and going back to break barrels for good. I can afford to buy a compressor and tank but really don't want to have all that crap to mess with, just to shoot a rifle.

Someone needs to start a bottle exchange business, similar to what they do with propane tanks, but for HPA.

You guys must be studs that pump by hand! A few years ago when I got my first PCP, (Marauder) , I pumped it up by hand twice.....Forget that!!!!!

I bought a cheap Chinese electric pump for 300$...cheaper than some hand pumps. Fill up an old expired 50$ SCBA bottle; shoot for weeks...... stay fat and lazy.

Oh my. I must be one sexy beast then. I hand pumped for six years before I picked up a tank.

Just ordered a Nomad2....on my way to lose my sexappeal!