For those new to airguns some purchasing suggestions...

I've often seen requests for help making an airgun purchase from people relatively new to airguns so I'll offer some generic advice. Hopefully other experienced shooters can add to the suggestions.

I used to teach IT (information technology... computer stuff) at the college level and often told my students that it was impossible to know everything (especially in a fast changing subject) so learn to find the specific information you need.

To that end, I'd say you should decide what discipline (start with one ;) ) that interests you most and research that.

So what do you want an airgun for? Casual plinking? Seriously competitions? Pesting/hunting? Target shooting? 🤔

Then ask the question on the forum: What do you recommend for *enter your interest here*? You WILL be overwhelmed with suggestions based on personal preferences. 😁

To help manage and focus the recommendations to your needs you should include as many (realistic) considerations/details as you can about your...
- Budget - airgun, scope, accessories. One airgun or do you anticipate buying several?
- Shooting environment - basement, backyard, shooting range, farm
- Particular shooting interests
- How much shooting will you be doing (daily, weekly, monthly? )
... etc

I say be realistic. Your not going to get a Porsche for the price of a VW Beetle, ditto with airguns. As far as performance goes, again be realistic, all the laws of physics apply. Power costs money and resources, get what is appropriate.

My recommendation is to buy what you REALLY need for your application. Don't get sucked in by velocity or power or caliber. There are general purpose airguns and one for very specific uses. Quality comes with a price, I prescribe to the "buy once, cry once" crowd and prefer to save up for the best I can afford. Each to their own.

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers!

Last edited:
I can only echo the other forum members, great suggestions.

If I could add anything, start with a simple but proven format. If you are new to shooting anything (bb, pellet, firearms, etc.) you don't need a .35 caliber anything, you need a pellet gun, not a big bore.

Off my soapbox, on with the flame suit l-

I can only echo the other forum members, great suggestions.

If I could add anything, start with a simple but proven format. If you are new to shooting anything (bb, pellet, firearms, etc.) you don't need a .35 caliber anything, you need a pellet gun, not a big bore.

Off my soapbox, on with the flame suit l-
i think an HW50 over an HW30 , the 30 is a small gun , to a average size man it feels smalish the 50 on the other hand is a full size gun.

Reactions: SteveV
i think an HW50 over an HW30 , the 30 is a small gun , to a average size man it feels smalish the 50 on the other hand is a full size gun.

OR, one of each... the HW50 (in .22) and the HW30 (in .177) - a great combination and a good start down the springer rabbit hole 😉

I got the HW30 first so my wife and kids could shoot it then the HW50 for myself because I couldn't get any trigger time on the HW30 😁 (definitely a method to my madness LOL! )

Got the HW50 in .22 as IMHO that's a better caliber for pesting AND it stops the kids from stealing my pellets.

BUT...

The recommendations above are good for casual shooting and a bit of light pesting but not necessarily other disciplines.

If you want to hunt ground squirrels at long range a .30 caliber PCP (Pre-Charged Pneumatic) would be a better choice.

A new airgunner still needs to do some research and decide what airgun and caliber suits their needs.

Last edited:
Wish there was an "Advice for Newbies" forum! There have been so many great, relevant posts here through the years I've been a member that answer SO MANY of the questions we ALL had when starting out. It's gotten way more confusing for the uninitiated (with the myriad of options that have become available) but covering the BASICS for those starting from scratch might really help & ENCOURAGE the proverbial "Newbie". BTW, great post Vana2!

What's wrong with starting a thread "What's the best airgun"?
Think the would be difficult to do because "best" depends very much on what the airgun will be used for and how the user weights its features.

For example, I (typically) shoot/hunt at less than 50 yards and put accuracy, efficiency and economy ahead of power. IMHO the "best airgun" is a full length .22 caliber PCP tuned to 30-35 fpe. I'm sure that many will disagree with my opinion ;)

As to which brand/model PCP that's a whole new can of worms. I have 4 different brands of PCP that meet my definition of "best".

What's wrong with starting a thread "What's the best airgun"?
I'm assuming there was humor in your question as "What's the best" questions are subjective (& been discussed to death here) & really ask for personal preferences, not facts. A FACT BASED newcomer advice & information forum could give a newcomer a solid footing on which to base their ultimate subjective decisions.

Think the would be difficult to do because "best" depends very much on what the airgun will be used for and how the user weights its features.

For example, I (typically) shoot/hunt at less than 50 yards and put accuracy, efficiency and economy ahead of power. IMHO the "best airgun" is a full length .22 caliber PCP tuned to 30-35 fpe. I'm sure that many will disagree with my opinion ;)

As to which brand/model PCP that's a whole new can of worms. I have 4 different brands of PCP that meet my definition of "best".
"Best airgun" for me brings plenty of FPE to the contest since my clandestine urban pesting fails when dead carcasses end up on neighbor's property. Found 700mm .30 to be ideal for stopping adrenaline-fueled fly-offs and escapes. Accuracy and power trump economy and efficiency, in my world. FX Wildcat MK3 (Sniper), AGTs Vulcan 3 and Uragan 2 all exceed expectations. WM

I'm assuming there was humor in your question as "What's the best" questions are subjective (& been discussed to death here) & really ask for personal preferences, not facts. A FACT BASED newcomer advice & information forum could give a newcomer a solid footing on which to base their ultimate subjective decisions.
Yes. Humor intended.

I think most new shooters should do some research. See what kinds of shooting activities there are. See which if any interest you. In short, learn what questions you want to ask. Make a budget. Next remember that there isn’t one gun that will do everything well. It doesn’t exist. A lot of them are good in general but aren’t great at any one thing. Some are better for hunting/pesting, easier to carry and shoot on the move. Others are great for shooting tight groups at different distances but they are expensive and heavy, you wouldn’t want to haul it through the woods. Most guns are between the two extremes. That’s why many shooters own several. I think I have 13 now and have spent less in total than many of the competition guns I see at matches. Start with one general purpose gun, learn how to use and maintain it and have some fun. After some time you’ll learn a lot about what you want to do and know much time and money you are willing to put in. You’ll meet a lot of really great people along the way.

Rick H.

I jumped into this fray feet first in the deep end. Not something I would suggest to another person just getting started.
first off, if you are going PCP, identify your air source and get it budgeted before you buy a gun along with a scope if that is going to be your choice of sights. Then figure out what is left over for a gun. There are plenty of great guns out there without diving into the glamour brands head first.
I am a dedicated FX fan boy, love to tinker and tune. My Mistake was buying a tinker gun right off the bat without knowing a damn thing about tuning, maintaining or repairing air guns. It was a long and frustrating time getting to where I am at now which is still far short of an expert. Were it not for this forum I would have been screwed.
I would suggest starting off a PCP journey with a simpler gun. Once again, plenty of good ones out there for far less bank than an FX or Daystate will set you back. My wife had a Kalibrgun Cricket II for a while. Superb gun. Accurate and easy to tune so easy we just never touched it.
If you are going to go the springer route or CO2 I have no advice. Never owned either of them, but some folks love them. May be something to look into.